One Year After Charlottesville

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Why was there a push to put them up?

There was no push.
Give honor to where honor is due, depends on what you are focused on.
Some see only the issue, whether they agree or disagree.
Some see the honor given because of the noble character, leadership qualities, etc.

A statue of MLK for me is the opposite of most of the reactions I'm seeing of the Confederate statues. I agree with the positions he held. But, never did like his character.

MAKAVELI

He was a traitor to America. He fought against this country. We don’t have statues of Hitler in the middle of public parks so people can google him. We shouldn’t celebrate the nation’s enemies. It’s mind boggling that’s controversial.
I think we should have a statue of Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas so people can Google him.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
He was a traitor to America. He fought against this country. We don’t have statues of Hitler in the middle of public parks so people can google him. We shouldn’t celebrate the nation’s enemies. It’s mind boggling that’s controversial.
Our history had good and bad. We shouldn’t see only the good. Everyone can learn from the bad.

vantexan

There was no push.
Give honor to where honor is due, depends on what you are focused on.
Some see only the issue, whether they agree or disagree.
Some see the honor given because of the noble character, leadership qualities, etc.

A statue of MLK for me is the opposite of most of the reactions I'm seeing of the Confederate statues. I agree with the positions he held. But, never did like his character.
I grew up fascinated by the Confederacy. At 12 I could name all the major Confederate generals. Knew all the major battles. But did not understand the ramifications of just what they were fighting for. Now I know better. A lot of people died or got maimed over an evil system. Actually saw someone the other day post on Facebook what the various elements of the Confederate flag mean and how it represented a glorious Christian cause. No, it didn't. So much waste. I don't care to see statues torn down by mobs but if it brings healing to some then maybe it's for the best. People should hopefully learn from past mistakes and it seems we're more divided now than any time since the Civil War. Over economics, culture, religion. Just what will this country be in another 50 years? Still united?

Box Ox

As a southerner with lots of ancestors who fought for the Confederate cause, I agree. They were loyal to their brilliant commanders, fierce, and brave as hell. But they were still traitors who killed lots of guys who fought under the American flag and did not carry the American flag themselves.

They should not be celebrated. Had the the Confederacy won the war or fought to a stalemate, slavery probably would have continued for some time.

I don't care to see statues torn down by mobs but if it brings healing to some then maybe it's for the best.

I think Confederate monuments erected at the beginning of the Jim Crow era (1920s-ish) that were intended to intimidate minorities rather than celebrate positive Confederate/southern heritage should be removed. I was shocked the first time I saw a Confederate monument honoring a slave holder right in front of a courthouse that's supposed to treat minorities equally under the law.