Onroad Supe seems to resent the union

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If you dont have enough hours for your route on friday then probably should drop the eams. And why do the eams at all if your maxed on hours anyway?? Your asking for more hours then your maxed on hours so they gotta cover you on friday. Your numbers are over so they probably think you're taking advantage and just milking it for the hours. I can see why they are not happy with you.
So in your opinion, even though his seniority provides him the opportunity to do the EAM's, your answer is for him to give up the early work, so he's available for the late work?

....that somehow he is responsible for solving management's dispatching problems??

Seriously???

BrownStains

Its dispatches fault that he is hours over on the route?? If they take stops off his numbers maybe worse and then where do those stops go? To his loopmate who now has more? I guess thats the union way huh, screw over your brother. He asked for long days and more hours and bid on that route. Is he an air driver or ground guy? crap or get off the pot.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Its dispatches fault that he is hours over on the route?? If they take stops off his numbers maybe worse and then where do those stops go? To his loopmate who now has more? I guess thats the union way huh, screw over your brother. He asked for long days and more hours and bid on that route. Is he an air driver or ground guy? crap or get off the pot.

The real issue is that he simply hadn't done the route in a long time. The sup should give him at least some slack until he gets it down. On top of which, with a bricked load any route is going to take longer. The sup should be looking to find solutions to the real problems, and not treat the OP in a disrespectful manner while doing so. Once the OP becomes more familiar with the route, the numbers should come into better alignment. If not, or not enough, the next issue to look into would be the load.

If the OP had to ask for longer hours, those stops had to come from somewhere to begin with. Taking stops off him wouldn't be screwing anyone over, just giving them back the work they had before. It might possibly give other people the opportunity to work when they would otherwise be sitting at home.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, it's absolutely the dispatchers fault and his management team's fault as well, if he's running out of hours. (and who cares about "his numbers"???)
Let his "loopmate" get on the 9.5 list if he's over-dispatched too.
I suspect his "loopmate" wasn't bitching when he was carrying a disproportionate amount of the loop?

The EAM's is extra work that is awarded by seniority if the Company chooses not to hire air drivers, and his seniority absolutely makes him entitled to that work, period.

Yes, he asked for extra work, and he's getting it.
If it is to the point where he's maxed out on hours, it's the Company's burden to solve, not his.

He's not screwing over anybody.

The hypnosis and brown Kool-aid seems to run deep in this guy.

542thruNthru

Numbers may be worse!! Thanks I needed a good laugh. :)

His seniority gives him the right to start early and run EAMs. No where does it say if you want more hours you have to work later.

It's sad when other drivers blame a fellow driver for their bad day. You don't want the extra work. Go on 9.5.

F

Frankie's Friend

The real issue is that he simply hadn't done the route in a long time. The sup should give him at least some slack until he gets it down. On top of which, with a bricked load any route is going to take longer. The sup should be looking to find solutions to the real problems, and not treat the OP in a disrespectful manner while doing so. Once the OP becomes more familiar with the route, the numbers should come into better alignment. If not, or not enough, the next issue to look into would be the load.

If the OP had to ask for longer hours, those stops had to come from somewhere to begin with. Taking stops off him wouldn't be screwing anyone over, just giving them back the work they had before. It might possibly give other people the opportunity to work when they would otherwise be sitting at home.
Yeah, put the other route back in.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Numbers may be worse!! Thanks I needed a good laugh. :)

His seniority gives him the right to start early and run EAMs. No where does it say if you want more hours you have to work later.

It's sad when other drivers blame a fellow driver for their bad day. You don't want the extra work. Go on 9.5.
But........ you should not be running eam’s AND be on the 9.5 list. It’s one or the other. You want the extra work or you don’t.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
But........ you should not be running eam’s AND be on the 9.5 list. It’s one or the other. You want the extra work or you don’t.

He was referring to the other drivers that would get "screwed over" if they took stops off the OP, saying they should get on the 9.5 list if they don't want they extra work.

Last edited:

Dr.Brownz

Like I said, all of our other supes are completely reasonable, and the one I am posting about was fine up until a few days ago.

I also remembered that he said "Oh, so you want a 6 hour planned day and take 12 hours to do it?"

He is definitely okay with my inside (clerk, etc.) work. He only gets mad when I am going to run out of hours on a Friday and then he attacks my SPOR and overallowed.

He seemed to be insinuating that I was being a slug, although he did not use that word.

Sounds like you should work even safer then if he thinks you are going slow now. It is the only way. Start taking 14 hours to do an 8 hour dispatch.

Update after a 60 hour week:

I am definitely not on the 9.5. I want to work the max every week because I am buying expensive tools.

I never had the problem again after the center manager talked to the young supe. They pulled 45 minutes of work off of the route so that I (barely) had enough room to find the stops.

Like I have said, the center manager and other supes are all very reasonable. And now the young supe is coming across as reasonable, as well.

I did EAMs every day (I am not an air driver) and followed ORION very faithfully (stupid as ORION was) so that I could never be accused of running up the miles again.

Valentine's Day kicked my butt, but I am learning the route better each day. Before I got this bid route, I had only done it a few times, and that was 19 years ago.

I covered a clerk shift one day, and the young relief driver put up the same numbers I did (running an hour over, same number of miles), even though he knows the route very well.

The ORION is stupid. It has digging in the load for no good reason.

Update: I had this terrible problem with this supe on Feb. 8 and 9, and on Feb. 23 I found out that he is being transferred to work as an Onroad Supe at a center 45 miles away.

I heard that the reason he was transferred is that the center manager and him didn't get along.

Since the blowup, things had returned back to normal. I would try as hard as I could to do my job and he wouldn't harass me. I'm sure that he was only trying to do his job. I experiment a lot at my job, and of course I don't hit a home run every time.

The original post may have been a description of him experimenting with being a hardnose with a senior driver.

Brownnote

I have been working for 3 years with a young onroad supe (who never drove). I have never had any problem with him, although he has made a few remarks showing that he doesn't have much respect for the union.

So here's the story. After working as a car washer for a year, I went back to driving because I need the money. I asked for long days (including going in early for EAMs) because I am trying to save up for something. I did one rural route for five weeks and had zero problems (i.e. nobody complained about my efficiency).

I got a new (more residential) route and was given very long days (like I requested) the first few days I did the route. I hadn't done the route in 20 years so I ran overallowed about an hour. While in the office looking at my planned day for the second day I did the new route, I saw that the planned was about 11.9 hours. I said "Wow, that is a really big planned day!" The supe said something to the effect of "Well, that's what happens when you run up the miles". I was beside myself, and I said "No, I wouldn't be running up the miles when I was struggling to get everything delivered that day". I still have no idea why he would accuse me of running up the miles, but I felt that this was a ridiculous accusation.

The next day, I brought it up that I would be running low on hours on Friday because I was working about 13.75 paid M-Th. He said that I would no longer be allowed to do EAMs because of this. I said, "No, I have the seniority. I will do EAMs." He said "No. You will have to file a grievance if you want to keep doing EAMs." When I argued with him, he kept insisting that I file a grievance for the EAM work. I later called the BA and talked to the Center Manager and they immediately said that, of course, I could still do EAMs due to the seniority issue.

The young supe also said "You aren't doing the job that we are paying you to do." I shot back that I was doing the job, and he said "Well, you're not doing the job efficiently." He was basing this on running over 1.15 hours with an 11.9 planned one day and running over 0.75 with a 12.1 planned on the second and third day that I did this new route.

I guess that we are expected to run scratch on a new route with a 12 hour planned day. He followed up by saying that if I couldn't run scratch, then something would have to change such as (1) not do EAMs, (2) not do my new bid route or (3) have a 3 day production ride.

The funny thing is that this exact same situation occurred three years ago on a different route. The same supe making the same complaints. He did go out with me for a three day production ride, but they aborted the production ride after the second day because we were going slower than when I was alone. He tried to trick me several times (trying to help find packages in the load, trying to convince me to spend a lot of my break time driving to the next stop) during the production ride, but I didn't fall for it.

So I was going to ask you guys and gals if you think that I should file a harassment grievance for his out of line comments. The Center Manager and BA said that I could do EAMs and not to worry about anything, to just keep doing my job.
I don't look at miles or stop-count. I do what I do the best I can. I don't argue or even talk about numbers. They can say what they want. If they want to press it come on a OJS all week. I'll fallow ORION and do everything by the book and come back at 9:30. I love overtime!
After being used and abused for so long I gave up on game's.

Brownnote

Update after a 60 hour week:

I am definitely not on the 9.5. I want to work the max every week because I am buying expensive tools.

I never had the problem again after the center manager talked to the young supe. They pulled 45 minutes of work off of the route so that I (barely) had enough room to find the stops.

Like I have said, the center manager and other supes are all very reasonable. And now the young supe is coming across as reasonable, as well.

I did EAMs every day (I am not an air driver) and followed ORION very faithfully (stupid as ORION was) so that I could never be accused of running up the miles again.

Valentine's Day kicked my butt, but I am learning the route better each day. Before I got this bid route, I had only done it a few times, and that was 19 years ago.

I covered a clerk shift one day, and the young relief driver put up the same numbers I did (running an hour over, same number of miles), even though he knows the route very well.

The ORION is stupid. It has digging in the load for no good reason.
If UPS cared about miles they'd do it like they used to and you wouldn't see another brown truck until the highway. Now, I'm seeing so many zipping in and out of my route, I count them. Every number they have is not my problem.

FozziesDeliveries

thread_necromancer_card_3.jpg