Opt in-Opt out list victory!

• Thread starter dont want to be known
  • Start date
D

dont want to be known

My building finally posted "The List" today after delaying it any way that they could.

HAHA 43 out of 50 drivers had signed the list as of tonight!

This was in spite of threatning PCM's about "You will be ridden with and you will be held accoutable" bla bla bla. Management wont have TIME to do this many rides!

Laid off drivers should be coming back soon.

A clear message was sent to UPS in Florida! We are sick of working so late!

bigbrownman

Brown on Brown
That is a victory! congrats, sounds like drivers are coming together!!!
The sheet has been up at our center for maybe 2 days and 39 out of 51 drivers have signed so far. I loved how are center manager stated in the PCM " if you want to be a tracked driver you can sign the opt in sheet posted on the board"
I have no problem being tracked too and from the center as long as I'm in at a reasonable hour atleast 3 days out of the week!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
New language in the contract says we have the option of 'opting in' or 'opting out' of working more that 9.5 hrs.

If you 'opt in' on the 9.5 list then they can't force you over 9.5 hrs more than 2 days a week.

browniehound

Is it really a victory? The over 9.5 language is so vague, I don't no what to make of it.

Personally, I don't know if I would "opt in" or "opt out". I don't mind working 9.5 hours, I just don't want to work 11 or 12. I average about 8.8 hours per day so I don't see how putting my name on this list would affect (hi Helen) me?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My building finally posted "The List" today after delaying it any way that they could.

This was in spite of threatning PCM's about "You will be ridden with and you will be held accoutable" bla bla bla. Management wont have TIME to do this many rides!

Yeah, that is way cool. Now the trick is going to be getting every one to file on being forced over. We have had this issue here. Even though every one of our drivers have signed the 'opt in' not even half will file on being forced over. We have had such a problem with it that our local just sent certified 'Cease and desist' letters to UPS for those of that do file grievances.

outta hours

They started the harassment rides here before the list even went up. They are riding with everyone who has filed a 9.5 grievance this year. As for me I enjoyed having a "rider" for 3 days. I am number 3 in seniority out of 70 drivers. They have ridden with everyone in the top 10 so far. Then this week when the opt in/out list went up they made sure to mention how since the top drivers had been ridden with, anyone who signed the list would be given a 3 day "lock in ride". Do not let it deter you from putting your name on this list. There is no language regarding performance in the contract, and they can not negotiate outside of the contract to include it. No matter how badly they wish they could.

Management has tried to get drivers to sign off on a 3 day average SPORH but no one has signed it. They will tell you drivers have been given warning letters, suspensions, and terminations for failing to maintain these averages. Not true, read your contract and do your job correctly and you have nothing to worry about. And enjoy your additional time off that the opt in list can provide for you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Is it really a victory? The over 9.5 language is so vague, I don't no what to make of it.

Personally, I don't know if I would "opt in" or "opt out". I don't mind working 9.5 hours, I just don't want to work 11 or 12. I average about 8.8 hours per day so I don't see how putting my name on this list would affect (hi Helen) me?

Brownie, I can tell you how it will help. If all of your drivers except a very few sign 'opt in' then the ones that don't sign or 'opt out' are eventually going to get extra work to rellieve the 9.5's of those that do 'opt in'. It would behoove all drivers to 'opt in' and eventually force ctrs to put in more rtes. Especially for ctrs that have a high rate of over 9.5's.

BigBrownSanta

In Dec and May of each year, you have the option to work over 9.5 hours for the following 5 months or not.

You can opt-in to the 9.5 language of the recently ratified contract and endure harassment as mentioned above and including production rides, message hell, and daily meet points, but you can file a grievance to collect triple time pay if you are worked over 9.5 any 3 days in a week.

Or,

you can opt-out of the 9.5 language and give up your contractual right to file a grievance if you are worked over 9.5 three or more times in a week. More than likely you will be working 12 hour days and going to help other drivers make 9.5.

This current list is in effect for 5 months... June through October.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What is the "Opt in-Opt out" list?

Article 37(c) States that the Center will post an Opt in/Opt out List for drivers twice a year (Jan. 1 and June 1) who want to work less than 9.5 hours a day. This is to cut down on excessive amounts of overtime. I still have not seen this List posted in my Center.

mikestrek

heads up!!!! Here in California we also posted it. About (2) TWO months ago. As soon as management saw the majority of drivers signed the list. They pulled the list and let us all know they were going to have to re-negotiate that portion of the contract with the teamsters. They said hold off until further notice. Seriously folks.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
heads up!!!! Here in California we also posted it. About (2) TWO months ago. As soon as management saw the majority of drivers signed the list. They pulled the list and let us all know they were going to have to re-negotiate that portion of the contract with the teamsters. They said hold off until further notice. Seriously folks.
They are blowing smoke. They can't re-negotiate. This isn't regional language, this is National Master and they aren't going to get any where with a re-negotiation.

BigBrownSanta

They are blowing smoke. They can't re-negotiate. This isn't regional language, this is National Master and they aren't going to get any where with a re-negotiation.

The last paragraph of section c says "The 9.5 Committee shall also have the authority to adopt guidelines to ensure that this Section is implemented in such a way as to balance the Employer's need to protect the integrity of its operations with an employee's legitimate need to avoid excessive overtime."

Where there's smoke, there may be fire.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You are right. I would hope that the 9.5 committe would have enough sense to see that the company is abusive of 9.5's and not make any drastic changes if it comes to that.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
Here in Mass we haven't seen the the list yet. However, the 8 hour day request one week in advance has started. Help me out here what parts of the new contract are relavent now, since we have not recieved a raise yet. Of course the bid is now active for two years, dont you think we should have recieved our raise concurrently? Any thoughts?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Here in Mass we haven't seen the the list yet. However, the 8 hour day request one week in advance has started. Help me out here what parts of the new contract are relavent now, since we have not recieved a raise yet. Of course the bid is now active for two years, dont you think we should have recieved our raise concurrently? Any thoughts?
All parts of the contract went into effect Jan 1 except pay raises. They go in Aug 1.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I imagine that part of the reason UPS didn't want to start pay raises Jan 1 was because of the buy out of Central states. Probably trying to recoup some of the money before starting pay raises. My thoughts.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
I'm thinking more of a cost saving aspect. I have no probleem with the language of the contract. But why not recieve a raise of a least a dollar? I'm I wrong?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It all depends on how your pension is doing. Western States is recieving 95 cents for our first yr. But our pension is at 100%. If your pension is down a little bit then a small percentage goes into the pension instead of your pocket. I may not be saying this precisely. Just a basic concept.