ORION and the upcoming peak...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I keep asking management how ORION will work or how a driver will be expected to utilize ODO in the DIAD once we get to mid December and preload starts bagging up all the stops that wont fit in the car in order to have them shuttled out to the driver’s area and dropped in a pod for him at 5:30 at night. Because, after all, its pretty tough to deliver stops that aren't even on board your car.
I dont get answers, only a confused and slightly terrified stare...

Last edited:

soberups

At our PCM we were told that during peak our hours would be capped at 9hrs per day. That is totally fine with me. If they gave me 300 stops, i would do maybe 150, and bring the other 150 back.
Imagine being the supervisor whose job it is to stand there and keep a straight face while reading off delusional nonsense like that in front of a group of employees who know damn good and well that (a) it is complete BS and (b) that you know it is complete BS and (c) that they know that you know that it is complete BS but you still have to stand there and read it anyway.
I would literally rather scrub toilets for a living.

DOK

I keep asking management how ORION will work or how a driver will be expected to utilize ODO in the DIAD once we get to mid December and preload starts bagging up all the stops that wont fit in the car in order to have them shuttled out to the driver’s area and dropped in a pod for him at 5:30 at night. Because, after all, its pretty tough to deliver stops that aren't even on board your car.
I dont get answers, only a confused and slightly terrified stare...

From what they’re saying there won’t be a lot of packages in the cars this peak, they’re keeping us under 9.5 al of peak.

soberups

From what they’re saying there won’t be a lot of packages in the cars this peak, they’re keeping us under 9.5 al of peak.
Management has already informed the union in my area that they do not expect to be able to hire anything close to the number of employees that are needed, so there will be the usual sign up lists for double shifting, 6th punches, etc etc.
Anyone who wants 70 a week will get it.

soberups

This is coming from the same people who actually think ORION is a good idea, so I would take that with a big grain of salt.

pierregarcon

Management has already informed the union in my area that they do not expect to be able to hire anything close to the number of employees that are needed, so there will be the usual sign up lists for double shifting, 6th punches, etc etc.
Anyone who wants 70 a week will get it.

We were told that we were basically expected to work every Saturday after Thanksgiving. We were told there would not be any disciplinary measures taken against folks that don't show up, but were also told whatever is on our truck for Saturday will be sitting until Monday. Should set the stage for some wonderful shouting matches between guys who came in and cleaned up their routes on Saturday who have to help guys who didn't on Monday because they are blown out.

bumped

We were told that we were basically expected to work every Saturday after Thanksgiving. We were told there would not be any disciplinary measures taken against folks that don't show up, but were also told whatever is on our truck for Saturday will be sitting until Monday. Should set the stage for some wonderful shouting matches between guys who came in and cleaned up their routes on Saturday who have to help guys who didn't on Monday because they are blown out.

13.99 hours is 13.99 hours. I'm not coming in on Saturdays, and I don't care if people get their packages or not. I'll deliver until my 13.99 is up. The rest can get rolled. Management knows when peak is. Its not my problem.

davidix

Nightmare day yeaterday.. bricked out truck with Orion worse than I've seen all week. I mean nothing made sense. I was better off banging my head against a wall repeatedly.

Honestly Orion is only as bad as the dispatcher. If the guy building the route has no clue then Orion just makes a problem worse.

Needless to say I did 3 jobs yesterday. I fixed the terrible dispatch. I unscrambled Orion. And I delivered every package.

We earn every gosh darn penny.

Nightmare day yeaterday.. bricked out truck with Orion worse than I've seen all week. I mean nothing made sense. I was better off banging my head against a wall repeatedly.

Honestly Orion is only as bad as the dispatcher. If the guy building the route has no clue then Orion just makes a problem worse.

Needless to say I did 3 jobs yesterday. I fixed the terrible dispatch. I unscrambled Orion. And I delivered every package.

I tried looking at the diad yesterday. It was useless. Orion hinders the ability to use a helper effectively.

soberups

In order to make good decisions as drivers...especially during peak season in a bricked out truck...we need information.
Specifically, we need a manifest that displays the stops we have...in the order that they are loaded on the shelves.
That is common sense, and only an idiot would assert otherwise.
So when the company makes a calculated business decision to hide that information from us...to prevent us from being able to view the manifest in a logical order...they are deliberately crippling our ability to make good decisions.
In other words...they are intentionally making the job harder and intentionally setting us up to fail.

soberups

If your dispatcher is a gutless coward who is too worried about looking good on his compliance report to turn RDO back on for you so that you can function and do your job...ask him to at least give you a paper RDO printout. He can easily do that without showing up on the report. Turn ODO off, hit print, turn ODO back on. Easy peasy. You can do OK if you have a paper printout.

Heavy Package

4th peak for me at UPS. Between the RDO / ODO crap, contract issues, and usual planning disaster by management, I just don't care anymore.

I'm with Bumped. 13.99 hours is 13.99 hours. I'm not going to deliver like a bat out of hell so little Timmy can get his 25th Christmas present that he won't even care about or remember in 3 days.

bumped

I tried looking at the diad yesterday. It was useless. Orion hinders the ability to use a helper effectively.

… and I don't care about efficiency. I'm paid to do the best I can the way UPS wants me to do it. If it means getting less stops done during the day...SO BE IT. It means no difference to me whether its November or July as I've stopped getting excited because it's peak.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I took out a bridge.

My area has a river that runs through it basically splitting it in half.
Orion wanted Orion to use one of the 4 available bridges in particular as part of the solution which consequently, I never used historically.

Simple fix.....I had dispatch simply remove the bridge. Now my trace is much more similar to how I actually run the route