Orion and time allowance's

norcalbrown

Here is the absolute best way to handle all of these problems. Come in every morning and grab the DIAD. Stay away from the ORION computers at all costs. Download EDD. Run your route the safest way you know how and follow as many methods as you can. Report all potential service failures on the DIAD as soon as you foresee them. Preferably before you leave the building. The latter needs to be done in front of witnesses.

The next day don't bother looking at the reports. They are your management team's concern. Not yours. And if you are approached by a supervisor about the numbers on those reports firmly (but politely) state as such.

Repeat this process for the rest of your career and every day will smooth.
Amen, brother!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

but, if you run it in reverse and there are no stops on the same street, you will be at 0%.

The days that I am lowest compliant are the days that I run sections backwards. I am following the exact trace, but in reverse. Most of the time, it is so that I can run the shelf in EDD order instead of digging from the rear of the shelf to the front.

Also, Orion does change allowances. We were told that because we no longer had to set up, that we were losing that set up time. In my center, they said it would save 10%, so 3 routes were cut out. Until 9/5 grievances skyrocketed....

We haven't been given time to set up cars in a very long time. I see the checklist every time they ride with me. You are given 20 seconds to slide packages into the thirty inch selection area. In that twenty seconds maybe you attempt to do something else, but you are only allowed twenty seconds, and of course that shouldn't be at every stop.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

with that said, after my training route got orion, i was pretty much completely turning it off eveyday and doing the route by edd and how i knew how, and i almost always was over 85% trace. did come over a few miles usually though. no way would i have been able to scratch if i followed orion though
You aren't supposed to, and it sounds like your route delivery order was already pretty good, in which case Orion shouldn't change much. What it does you ignore, but it's not a lot so they aren't messing with you. Similar with me, except I typically beat the trace and the miles, although the miles only by a mile or two.

For me it's just a new wrinkle in the game. I actually appreciate it, as it takes away some of the thinking, how best to run this, should I get that or not. Simplifies it.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

On Planet UPS, everyone runs scratch using ORION. It is most excellent. Here on Planet Earth, it's just a tad different. NDA 30 stops deep...riiiight.
Actually, no. On Friday if I had run Orion as it wanted I'd have been an hour over, and nowhere near the pace I am asked to do. Orion isn't about saving time, just miles, at least for now.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Here is the absolute best way to handle all of these problems. Come in every morning and grab the DIAD. Stay away from the ORION computers at all costs. Download EDD. Run your route the safest way you know how and follow as many methods as you can. Report all potential service failures on the DIAD as soon as you foresee them. Preferably before you leave the building. The latter needs to be done in front of witnesses.

The next day don't bother looking at the reports. They are your management team's concern. Not yours. And if you are approached by a supervisor about the numbers on those reports firmly (but politely) state as such.

Repeat this process for the rest of your career and every day will smooth.
Saving fuel is our problem, too. And crap rolls downhill. I get ORION, I also get it isn't going anywhere. I also get my managment team really would rather not have to deal with this stuff anymore than I do, and when they are beating our heads in with it they'd rather not. I have helped fellow drivers who were stuck with too much work. My thoughts wasnt, "It's not my problem." Not going to do that with management I work closest with, either.

We get paid top dollar. Yeah we deserve it, but this society, this world is all about doing things the cheapest. UPS is facing that pressure, and sooner or later it may reach me. I get saving fuel, so if I can help the system work within reason (and it can be worked within reason), so be it. A lot of the dire predictions I've seen were simply not true.

Overpaid Union Thug

Saving fuel is our problem, too. And crap rolls downhill. I get ORION, I also get it isn't going anywhere. I also get my managment team really would rather not have to deal with this stuff anymore than I do, and when they are beating our heads in with it they'd rather not. I have helped fellow drivers who were stuck with too much work. My thoughts wasnt, "It's not my problem." Not going to do that with management I work closest with, either.

We get paid top dollar. Yeah we deserve it, but this society, this world is all about doing things the cheapest. UPS is facing that pressure, and sooner or later it may reach me. I get saving fuel, so if I can help the system work within reason (and it can be worked within reason), so be it. A lot of the dire predictions I've seen were simply not true.
ORION = Epic Fail

35years

Gravy route
Can anyone beat my personal records...
64 miles over while 98% on trace...saved that report.
42 miles under (less than 50% on trace if I remember correctly)

DOK

and i was told by the orion guy (who rides with the driver the first time orion is set up in order to tweak it) that if u move the cursor down to another section and then follow from there, that only counts as one break. also stops on the same street dont break trace either (or only count for the first one)
Why would anyone want to break Orion trace? Don't care if I think I can beat the miles, I'm not gonna chance it, 100%'er here.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Mine was almost fixed until I went on vacation. The Yahoo running it somehow runs 18 stops per hour.. so I go back and it's Jack back up to 18 an hour. I was told I should be done by 4:33 I got done at 8. Next time I'll be out till 10 o'clock especially when I have to clean piss bottles out of the back of my truck. Because I'll be sitting alongside the road until OSHA shows up