Orion and time allowance's

I refuse to follow orion with pick up times. The customer pays for us to pick up within a certain window of time, not whenever a computer tells us to. Some businesses turn around the stuff we deliver to them and ship it the same day so they need the time in between to pack and ship the stuff.

I am a cover driver and last week I did one drivers route who actually follows orion. When I delivered to a tractor parts place the guy was rushing to print the end of day already and it was only 13:00ish. I told the guy I would be back around 16:00. When I got back he thanked me for coming back to pick up because it gave him time to process all of his outgoing which the regular driver doesn't do.... Its a shame how our company is losing the concept of customer service!
They are messing with pick up compliance as Orion is implemented in our building. I believe they are sacrificing customer service so they are able to say "look Orion saves time and miles" ...sad.

Overpaid Union Thug

They are messing with pick up compliance as Orion is implemented in our building. I believe they are sacrificing customer service so they are able to say "look Orion saves time and miles" ...sad.
They did that here too. But after a while pickup compliance started again and we haven't heard a peep about ORION trace since about three months after implementation. Every once in a while they mention going to our first stop but most of us don't take it seriously.

ArcherUTR

Every once in a while they mention going to our first stop but most of us don't take it seriously.

Is it really 1st stop, or do you only have to go to a stop with the same street name as the 1st stop in your board?

I run an interstate service road route. So that would give me quite a bit of leeway.

Hostile17

I work in an area with a 12:00 air commit time. If I cannot get to that last air stop by noon without breaking off Orion then the rest of it won't work. I am on an extended route (37 miles to my first stop). On my best day ever I ran 44 stops at Noon. On average I run 32 by noon. Yet every day Orion expects me to be able to run between 50 and 65. Even the running man who covers when I'm off can't do that. So if I run ORion close to 100% (we have been threatened since last week that we have to but don't miss anything or have any late air) I have about 20 extra miles.

35years

Gravy route
I work in an area with a 12:00 air commit time. If I cannot get to that last air stop by noon without breaking off Orion then the rest of it won't work. I am on an extended route (37 miles to my first stop). On my best day ever I ran 44 stops at Noon. On average I run 32 by noon. Yet every day Orion expects me to be able to run between 50 and 65. Even the running man who covers when I'm off can't do that. So if I run ORion close to 100% (we have been threatened since last week that we have to but don't miss anything or have any late air) I have about 20 extra miles.
They probably manipulated your expected left building time/start time in the ORION plan. Check the computer in the morning. As long as you are not having service failures there is no need to worry.

iowa boy

I only check the computer if asked and I am allowed to punch in early to check. I do not start until the posted start time, that includes looking at the 'orion solution.'

Same with me, I look at my stop count and miles allowed and nothing else. When they give me a tablet like the sups carry to show me the actual roads to use, then I might actually hit the mileage numbers they put out.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So if I run ORion close to 100% (we have been threatened since last week that we have to but don't miss anything or have any late air) I have about 20 extra miles.
You need to file an art 37 grievance. You are being given conflicting instructions under threat of discipline, which is harassment and over-supervision. They can have ORION compliance or they can have zero service failures. They cant have both.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ORION does not know where the bathrooms are on my rural route. It expects me to just pull over by the side of the road to take lunch and breaks. Sorry, not happening. There are many days where the biggest factor in my ORION compliance ( or lack thereof) is whether or not I have to take a dump and how far away from a bathroom I happen to be when that need arises.

billman1968

I have just ran 100% compliance first time ever( but ran 2 hours over) and yet I was pulled in office cause of a new report that says my time walking up to a house and scanning my pkge and my walk back to truck didn't match. I laughed and walked saying when u get something real then we will talk

billman1968

since i wrote this i have been fired.... yeah after 29 years never been in trouble. had center manager out with me and we ran past 9.5 and was 163 over and could not find anything wrong.. that person could not keep up. funny if i kept using there way we would of never have gotten done. one hour after using orion i was told to turn it off cause we hit the same street 4 times in an hour. what a JOKE

Last edited:

billman1968

well since i wrote my first discussion i have been fired... no warning no warning letter. after 29 years.. never been to office. i follow orion 100% and i get fired. i had center manager with me and they couldnt find any thing wrong and i was out past 9.5 and was 183 over and yet they couldnt find anything wrong with what i did..... they couldnt even keep up... had to push them along... what a JOKE... have 4 grievences out on them...:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Cementups

Box Monkey
It's actually a term one of our Orion sups came up with. They said 100% is not expected and if you ran 100% all the time then you were being "maliciously obedient" and basically doing it as a "friend-YOU" to the company.

And yes, I agree. A decent BA would not have let that firing stand. Using technology to discipline is a big no no.

Overpaid Union Thug

I wonder if he is in a right to work state, or is even a union member. Any decent BA would have a field day on this one, unless there is more to the story than we are hearing.
It shouldn't matter what state one is in. Or weather or not they are a dues paying member. For a steward/BA to purposely let someone get fired (or even just drag their feet on the issue) for that garbage is beyond stupid simply, but not exclusively, because it would set a dangerous precedent to do so.