ORION Demonstration On YouTube.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Dragon,

Does ORION factor in delays in leaving the building in the AM? No.

Does ORION factor in misloads? No.

Does ORION factor in the need to meet another driver at a certain point during the day to take stops from him? No.

Does ORION factor in the driver's inability to physically access a given package on a given shelf when his car is bricked out with 400 pieces? No.

Does ORION factor in On Demand Pickups? No.

Does ORION factor in the need to break trace in order to help contain another driver's heavy pickup? No.

Does ORION factor in the virtual impossibility of making multiple left turns onto gridlocked streets during rush hour? No.

Does ORION factor in late air or left-in-building packages being shuttled out to our delivery areas in the afternoon? No.

Does ORION factor in the time difference between delivering 30 envelopes to a ground-floor desk versus hauling 30 boxes of paper up 2 flights of stairs when it makes its calculations? No.

Here is an idea. I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out. If you want to develop a workable system to reduce mileage and calculate a delivery trace, maybe you should get input from people who have actually done the job in the real world instead of pretending that the job is nothing but a game of Pac Man on a Google Earth map.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As long as you're on the same street, you can run them how you like. "ORION is so forgiving..."
-My center manager
I hear that everyday. My edd was almost perfect, just needed a few tweeks. They never fixed that. That would have helped. I have 8 bulk stops, on a school, the rest close at 3, the majority of the time they are in the 2 or 3 thousand section, yet, at the end of my Orion "solution" And then you are behind the solution. At least by 1/2 hour. Its the same talking points they used with EDD and they have no clue how it is forgiving or not. Yes there are ways to cut weaving across snarled traffic to make a left turn and stay on trace, but it adds miles. We need those miles to work safely. Our pcs are not funny car trucks that can spin on a dime.

Rainman

Its all good.
That's very noble of you. The issue with extending such courtesy is that unreasonable people often take a mile when you give them an inch (any by no means am I advocating is this problem exclusive to UPS management, I'm sure the same could be said about drivers and our customers). Having said that, Orion (in its current incarnation) has flaws that make it fall short of not only the hype from higher up in the company, but being effective in the field as well. That's just the objective truth, which is the reason these promotional videos are being ridiculed. If Dragon can't acknowledge that Orion has major problems and is going to come into this topic and belittle the rest of us, then I don't believe his opinion should be given serious consideration. Nevertheless, I do respect you doing so.

I don't want Orion to be a pos. I want UPS's investment to pay off, because if the company does well, we do well. However, nothing is going to improve, if the people hailing the product refuse to acknowledge its shortcomings.
The while issue is that Orion is designed so that anyone can run routes in the event if a strike. The side effect is that it may save miles in some circumstances. In the long run the company is better off if they can dumb down our jobs so that anyone can do it, so they can pressure the union for concessions. This will result in far greater savings in the long run.

ManInBrown

I had an On-Car tell me a few weeks ago during a safety ride, that the next thing down the pipeline will be truck loaded in Orion order. Not sure how they plan on accomplishing that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I had an On-Car tell me a few weeks ago during a safety ride, that the next thing down the pipeline will be truck loaded in Orion order. Not sure how they plan on accomplishing that.
What are you not sure about?

Orion should of never been rolled out until this could be done anyway.

Overpaid Union Thug

I predict having to spend even MORE time digging through the load. On the bright side..... maybe the empty suits in Atlanta will reverse their policy on hiding labels from us.

clean hairy

If you notice in the fir
Dragon,

Does ORION factor in delays in leaving the building in the AM? No.

Does ORION factor in misloads? No.

Does ORION factor in the need to meet another driver at a certain point during the day to take stops from him? No.

Does ORION factor in the driver's inability to physically access a given package on a given shelf when his car is bricked out with 400 pieces? No.

Does ORION factor in On Demand Pickups? No.

Does ORION factor in the need to break trace in order to help contain another driver's heavy pickup? No.

Does ORION factor in the virtual impossibility of making multiple left turns onto gridlocked streets during rush hour? No.

Does ORION factor in late air or left-in-building packages being shuttled out to our delivery areas in the afternoon? No.

Does ORION factor in the time difference between delivering 30 envelopes to a ground-floor desk versus hauling 30 boxes of paper up 2 flights of stairs when it makes its calculations? No.

Here is an idea. I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out. If you want to develop a workable system to reduce mileage and calculate a delivery trace, maybe you should get input from people who have actually done the job in the real world instead of pretending that the job is nothing but a game of Pac Man on a Google Earth map.
And, does orion factor when businesses close when figuring business pick up stops?

FilingBluesFL

This is how you know you've got a good Orion trace...

Stop Using Orion.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you notice in the fir

And, does orion factor when businesses close when figuring business pick up stops?
Actually, it does for most pickups. What it doesn't factor in is when they will be ready to ship and when I will have room in the truck to contain it. Last week, for instance, my ORION solution had me picking up a winery at 10:14 AM. This winery had 4 pallets, almost 200 pieces to ship. Not only were they not ready at 10:14 AM, but I had nowhere to fit 200 cases of wine at 10:14 AM. There is a reason that particular pickup has a 4:00PM scheduled pickup time. Issues such as these apparently don't exist in Clarksville, where ORION seems to work so well, but they do exist in the real world that I deliver in.

FilingBluesFL

Last week, for instance, my ORION solution had me picking up a winery at 10:14 AM. This winery had 4 pallets, almost 200 pieces to ship. Not only were they not ready at 10:14 AM, but I had nowhere to fit 200 cases of wine at 10:14 AM. There is a reason that pickup has a 4:00PM scheduled pickup time.

So instead of scheduling the pickup at the +-15 minute window, Orion has chosen instead to violate "policy" and tell you to pick it up 6 hours early?

Or is this in the board as "OK to pick up early" pickup?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

Fourth phase will be ORION re-organizing the DOL in real-time.

That should be where the real fun begins.