Orion during peak. They wouldn't dare.

Overpaid Union Thug

View attachment 220743 Every day between 3:30 and 4:30 I get this, and I am not even using the map nav feature. I am down to 10% battery when I clock out at 7:00,like you I will be dead in the water once peak hits and it gets cold. My plan for keeping my DIAD alive will be to get a paper RDO manifest in the morning and not even bother with downloading EDD at all.
It's set to shut down when the battery is at 40%. For many drivers that's around 1600.

JL 0513

How do you think we did it before we had DIADS?

Yes, but I'm not quite sure volume back then per load was to today's levels with eCommerce. There were catalogs but the vast majority of Christmas shopping was done in stores. How do you deliver based on looking at the shelf when stuff isn't in order and there's no room to move anything? You're asking to miss many stops when you're already going out with 250+ stops. No way to go back to 30 stops that you didn't see.

Looking on the shelf will Be the only way to deliver peak. Sometimes in order to go forward you have to look to the past.

If they don't give us back RDO, I'll just be bookmarking sections within Orion and you can usually get close to sequence in pockets of areas. As well as refer to the phone if needed to view RDO.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Who spearheaded the view odo only?
Someone who grew up playing Pac Man, who has never delivered a package or set foot inside of a package car, and who therefore sees the job as nothing but a bunch of dots on a map that can be made to magically disappear according to an algorithm.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I started in 1988 there was no package tracking. So during peak the truck would be brickloaded so tightly that the BH door could not be opened. There was only a rough estimate of how many stops we had, and no manifest therefore no list of what addresses they were even for.
So what we did was to find a garage or barn on the route that we could use for storage. Drivers were expected to offer their own garages to other drivers for this purpose. We would back up to it and unload a tunnel through the bulk clear up to the BH door so that we could get it open and get to work. If you could not get everything delivered that day you left it in the garage for tomorrow rather than bringing it back to the building to be recycled. There was no committed air, no pickup compliance times, no EDD or RDO or ORION, and no DIADS or cell phones therefore no way for the office to text or call you during the day. So we relied on methods, area knowledge and common sense....three things the company is desperate to eliminate from its workforce and replace with forced stupidity, mindless obedience and complete reliance upon technology and micromanagement. Or in other words...ORION.

Oh the fun we used to have. Get to the first stop and can't get the bulkhead door open because packages are jammed up against it. Go to the back and hope you can get the rear door open. Some times it would take you and a customer lifting at the same time to get it to open. Then if you're lucky you had just enough room to crawl over the top of the load and start mining packages at the front until you got to the ones jamming the door. fun fun. In the meantime you have damaged a half a dozen packages crawling over them and removing the jam. You usually ended up going back to those first stops because you never seemed to find all the packages the first time. No- you didn't know how many packages you had for each stop. No-you didn't really know how many stops you had (kind of a rough estimate by a hung over pre-loader). No-you had no idea what your next stop was until you looked.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
View attachment 220743 Every day between 3:30 and 4:30 I get this, and I am not even using the map nav feature. I am down to 10% battery when I clock out at 7:00,like you I will be dead in the water once peak hits and it gets cold. My plan for keeping my DIAD alive will be to get a paper RDO manifest in the morning and not even bother with downloading EDD at all.
You'll have to download Edd. Manually inputting stuff throws up red flags. There's no way you'll be allowed to consistently not get Edd.

soberups

You'll have to download Edd. Manually inputting stuff throws up red flags. There's no way you'll be allowed to consistently not get Edd.
Bringing missed stops back every day because my DIAD battery went kaput will also throw up red flags. At some point, something will have to give.

Oh the fun we used to have. Get to the first stop and can't get the bulkhead door open because packages are jammed up against it. Go to the back and hope you can get the rear door open. Some times it would take you and a customer lifting at the same time to get it to open. Then if you're lucky you had just enough room to crawl over the top of the load and start mining packages at the front until you got to the ones jamming the door. fun fun. In the meantime you have damaged a half a dozen packages crawling over them and removing the jam. You usually ended up going back to those first stops because you never seemed to find all the packages the first time. No- you didn't know how many packages you had for each stop. No-you didn't really know how many stops you had (kind of a rough estimate by a hung over pre-loader). No-you had no idea what your next stop was until you looked.
And preloders didn’t always put sequence numbers on packages. Made it difficulty to teach myself new routes.

soberups

i drove and i’ve never claimed anything like that
1. Preliming UPS stores in a U-haul for 2 weeks during peak doesn’t count as “driving.”
2. You are promoting, defending and implementing an ORION system whose ultimate purpose will be to micromanage a driver to the level of deciding the order of every stop on the route and giving turn-by-turn directions to every single delivery. So yes, you are claiming that.

1. Preliming UPS stores in a U-haul for 2 weeks during peak doesn’t count as “driving.”
2. You are promoting, defending and implementing an ORION system whose ultimate purpose will be to micromanage a driver to the level of deciding the order of every stop on the route and giving turn-by-turn directions to every single delivery. So yes, you are claiming that.
It bugs the hell out of me that I skipped 3 stops in the morning. Hins 7632, 5471, 6741. And have to look at them in the diad for 5+ hours. Yet by doing so I saved 25 minutes and 1.5 miles.

They are wasting their time on driver training. I went to help a Young driver this week who’s board went into basecom. He could not drive, sort, or remember 1 address. So he became my helper. We finished the last 33 stops in an hour. I did not know the area.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It bugs the hell out of me that I skipped 3 stops in the morning. Hins 7632, 5471, 6741. And have to look at them in the diad for 5+ hours. Yet by doing so I saved 25 minutes and 1.5 miles.

They are wasting their time on driver training. I went to help a Young driver this week who’s board went into basecom. He could not drive, sort, or remember 1 address. So he became my helper. We finished the last 33 stops in an hour. I did not know the area.

See?
Right here is the issue that is being created by orion and having to be spoon fed information.
This right here is the future of UPS. If the technology is flawed or breaks down then you have a workforce that is incapable of independent thought and left simply unable to function and get the job done.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
See?
Right here is the issue that is being created by orion and having to be spoon fed information.
This right here is the future of UPS. If the technology is flawed or breaks down then you have a workforce that is incapable of independent thought and left simply unable to function and get the job done.

That's when the robots take over.

Chnandler Bong

Didn’t want to wait (10-15 minutes) at the building for EDD to be released. Why wait for something I don’t use?

It’s still worthwhile to get EDD even if you don’t follow ODO. Without it, you’re screwed if your air isn’t in the 1000 section of your load and you have no idea how many packages to look for at each stop...not to mention the time it takes to type in addresses all day. I never follow ODO but always get EDD.