Orion Forcing

Foamer Pyle

You're free to quit and work retail until 10pm each night and all weekend for $9/hr. You may think the grass is greener on the other side if you've been with UPS too long. Kinda like a politician in DC for 25 years. They have no concept of reality.
I can tell you have not worked for ups as long as I have. You don't know how things used to be. I am not saying the job was cake back in the day, but we were not treated like this. You don't remember ups when the weight limit was 70 pounds, and you were lucky to get 2 hours of overtime. Those were the days. I cannot count the number of times I was home by 6:30 on a regular basis.
You obviously started after the company went to hell. Since you have never experienced anything different, you do not know any better, and your comment reflects my suspicions. I see a bunch of the new guys that do not even have 10 years in, and they are already falling apart, wearing knee braces, complaining about their backs or shoulders. If you believe you can make it 30 years under the current working conditions, I would be willing to bet against you. Oh, and when I do leave, I won't be getting a $10.00 an hour job. I have a Business Management degree. That's called a back up plan, something everyone should have.

MC0493

I've read alot on this place that the older guys don't think this job can be a 30 year job anymore. I'm only 22 and i'd like to hope i'll be here until i retire. I do have a bachelors degree in computer information systems, but the field changes so fast you could never use it as a backup plan.

Foamer Pyle

Think about how much money ups will save by having a revolving workplace. Burning drivers out in 10 or 15 years will save the company Billions of dollars in pension money.

JackStraw

I used to think that orion was going to be a union breaker. Not anymore. We struggle to get the job done daily and most of us know what we're doing. No way they'd be able to hire off the street and get it done. FZ will get us a good contract.

Foamer Pyle

Most people would not be able to put up with all of meaningless bullcrap that management throws at us, let alone the unrealistic workload. There are some buildings that are having to go outside of ups to fill driver positions that the part timers will not take. The loaders see how much work is in the cars, they aren't stupid.

JL 0513

You have to realize there's a correlation between the ever increasing compensation that drivers make as a result of being unionized (a good thing of course) to increased hours, work load, and pressure from management. Our compensation has increased faster than most industries. Many jobs don't get any raises for numerous years at a time.

That's the drawback with making what we make. In the interest of economics, the company realizes the savings in running less drivers for more hours.

If we made say, $22/hr top rate, plus had to contribute to health insurance and had no pension, trust me, we'd run more routes with much less overtime.

Plus, there's that thing called competition. We do over 70's (up to 150) because Fedex does. It goes back and forth and over time you just have to keep producing more and more.

Last edited:

Foamer Pyle

All I know is, around here, ups is paying a bunch of money in grievances for violating 9.5. There are large centers that have 100% of the drivers on that list, and ups has no choice but to pay, or reduce the hours.

PT Car Washer

You have to realize there's a correlation between the ever increasing compensation that drivers make as a result of being unionized (a good thing of course) to increased hours, work load, and pressure from management. Our compensation has increased faster than most industries. Many jobs don't get any raises for numerous years at a time.

That's the drawback with making what we make. In the interest of economics, the company realizes the savings in running less drivers for more hours.

If we made say, $22/hr top rate, plus had to contribute to health insurance and had no pension, trust me, we'd run more routes with much less overtime.

Plus, there's that thing called competition. We do over 70's (up to 150) because Fedex does. It goes back and forth and over time you just have to keep producing more and more.
I don't agree that if UPS paid drivers less they would reduce the workload. Just look at the preload and the Hubs. Their workload has not been reduced only increased from when preloaders made $.50/hr less then drivers instead of 1/3 drivers hourly rate. Their greed knows no limits.

35years

Gravy route
JL Wrote:
You are wrong here. Driver compensation (adjusted for inflation) is the same as it was in 1981(actually slightly less). Additionally part timers make far less than in 1981...They made the same per hour as full timers back in the day, and they are Unionized.

Half true...The expensive heath insurance and pension are a dis-incentive to hire more drivers but a higher wage rate is actually an incentive to hire more workers and give less overtime. The cost of infrastructure...Bldgs, trucks etc. is a greater dis-incentive to hire more workers.
If I am not mistaken, we started moving over 70s prior to Fedex. I doubt we move over 70s simply because others do. We get a premium price for moving them.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
All I know is, around here, ups is paying a bunch of money in grievances for violating 9.5. There are large centers that have 100% of the drivers on that list, and ups has no choice but to pay, or reduce the hours.
True.
The drivers that consistently file 9.5 grievances in our large center have not been working over 9.5 hours 3x a week at all. We went through a period when they simply paid the penalty, but now they cut the excessive OT.:-)

Last edited:

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
My center has certain drivers who the supervisors make sure are clocked out by 6:55 and other drivers they just don't care if they violate their 9.5 why is this?

35years

Gravy route
My center has certain drivers who the supervisors make sure are clocked out by 6:55 and other drivers they just don't care if they violate their 9.5 why is this?
Perhaps because the ones who file each and every time there is a 9.5 violation and demand the triple time penalty at each hearing will have their excessive hours cut. Thats the way it works around here. If you don't file every time (even for 10 minutes) you will have excessive OT. Since my file is stuffed with warning letters from years of fighting with them, I can guarantee you I am not a favorite, yet my OT is now controlled. I stopped caring about warning letters years ago...just grieve them.

Last edited:

Foamer Pyle

I don't agree that if UPS paid drivers less they would reduce the workload. Just look at the preload and the Hubs. Their workload has not been reduced only increased from when preloaders made $.50/hr less then drivers instead of 1/3 drivers hourly rate. Their greed knows no limits.
I have to agree with you. I also believe that even if we earned less than the Federal Express air guys, UPS would not drop their rates one penny. Any money that ups could save on any type of wage compensation, the savings would not be passed onto the customers. The money would be disbursed as bonuses to all the fat cats in Atlanta.

Faceplanted

I'm so sick of the "if you don't like it then leave mentality"

It shouldn't be like that, yes I do make 35hr.

No I should not be threatened On a daily basis, no I should not be forced to work 50 hours every week even on the 9-5 list, no I should not have to work for a company who disregards OSHA rules, no I should not have to work for a company that puts production in front of my safety, and last off, no I shouldn't have to work for a company where if we have an issue our brothers say go else where.

In my 15 years it's just getting worse and worse. Strike!!!

Management at many hubs/centers are forced to dispatch is at 9.3hr planned day, so if they don't do so THEY than get in trouble by people over them. This is way more than a center level issue.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm so sick of the "if you don't like it then leave mentality"

It shouldn't be like that, yes I do make 35hr.

No I should not be threatened On a daily basis, no I should not be forced to work 50 hours every week even on the 9-5 list, no I should not have to work for a company who disregards OSHA rules, no I should not have to work for a company that puts production in front of my safety, and last off, no I shouldn't have to work for a company where if we have an issue our brothers say go else where.

In my 15 years it's just getting worse and worse. Strike!!!

Management at many hubs/centers are forced to dispatch is at 9.3hr planned day, so if they don't do so THEY than get in trouble by people over them. This is way more than a center level issue.
... if you don't like it then leave ...

:bigsmile2:

StoptheAct1212

I had the dumbest orion first stop yesterday.. pass 4 air stops on way out to route.. that is a pain to go back to.. then do some grounds then go back to do those resi airs... guess what i did.... yes, what makes complete sence........ i never look at orion. Sorry..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Think about how much money ups will save by having a revolving workplace. Burning drivers out in 10 or 15 years will save the company Billions of dollars in pension money.
No savings ... If true, it will save the Teamsters lots of money!

Last edited:

s-man

Right now I pretty much ignore Orion. I come in under and am a cover driver so they leave me alone. When it's forced on me I'll be worthless. Bonus center. Take 30, get over an hour in bonus most days. Never skip lunch.