ORION + Hybrid Driver = Autonomous Vehicles

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
they only way i see it working is if every vehicle on the road was equipped with the same tech. you would have to literally ban all manually operated vehicles and take the human factor out of it to safely and efficiently operate on a continuous basis with the least amount of incidents. the unpredictability of a human behind the wheel mixed with exact predictability of the self drivers wont work.
So you're saying that it wouldn't make sense to mitigate the less reliable "human factor", until we can totally eradicate the "human factor".

That's like saying that nobody can have a flu shot until every single person agrees to get one.

I think your train of thought on this is flawed and has a zero chance of actually being the case.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I think he's referencing the old Jetson's cartoon?

Actually Popular Science articles from the late '50s and early '60s.

As far as fully autonomous cars, it's gonna be a long time. Until every road has clear lane markings and every traffic sign is clear and legible, nope. Until the manufacturers figure out a way get the sensors to still work in heavy fog, rain and snow, nope.

Faceplanted

You guys don’t understand simple numbers. Right now..... at this date, fully autonomous vehicles

HAVE A LOWER ACCIDENT RATE PER MILE DRIVEN.

This is 100% scientific fact proven by numbers. This is not some opinion based garbage. Hurrr durrrrr..... But but but a guy died in a Tesla on autopilot

The technology is 100% here and safer then human drivers. It will only get better. The only thing stopping companies from doing this right now is regulations.

I could easially see ups paying a “baby sitter” driver a lower rate to be in the cab. I would also go as far as to say that within the next 15 or so years we will see a “lead” truck with a driver inside being followed by 3/4 fully autonomous rigs with no drivers inside on our highways. They will park at pull off areas and a driver will take them the remaining few miles to the hubs.

Last edited:

Faceplanted

Maybe, but its all about blame when something goes wrong.
There will be cameras and sensors that will be easially reviewable. It will actually be much easier to determine liability. Ups will also have lower insurance rates as autonomous vehicles over all are safer and less likely to involved in an accident

specter208

There will be cameras and sensors that will be easially reviewable. It will actually be much easier to determine liability. Ups will also have lower insurance rates as autonomous vehicles over all are safer and less likely to involved in an accident
UPS is self-insured though.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You guys don’t understand simple numbers. Right now..... at this date, fully autonomous vehicles

This is 100% scientific fact proven by numbers.
There simply isn't enough data available for that to be a "scientific fact" (lol).
I would also go as far as to say that within the next 15 or so years we will see a “lead” truck with a driver inside being followed by 3/4 fully autonomous rigs with no drivers inside on our highways.
I agree. This should have been addressed in this contract before it's too late. Hoffa is a P*.
They will park at pull off areas and a driver will take them the remaining few miles to the hubs.
Lol.
Dude, there is nowhere to park.
Seriously, it's a big problem in most places.

Indecisi0n

This is 100% scientific fact proven by numbers. This is not some opinion based garbage. Hurrr durrrrr..... But but but a guy died in a Tesla on autopilot

The technology is 100% here and safer then human drivers. It will only get better. The only thing stopping companies from doing this right now is regulations.

I could easially see ups paying a “baby sitter” driver a lower rate to be in the cab. I would also go as far as to say that within the next 15 or so years we will see a “lead” truck with a driver inside being followed by 3/4 fully autonomous rigs with no drivers inside on our highways. They will park at pull off areas and a driver will take them the remaining few miles to the hubs.
Listen genius. Compare the number of driverless cars on the road vs human drivers. No :censored2: driverless cars have less accidents.

F

Frankie's Friend

This is 100% scientific fact proven by numbers. This is not some opinion based garbage.
Hurrr durrrrr..... But but but a guy died in a Tesla on autopilot

Numbers?
Screenshot_20181101-214527_Google.jpg
Estimated, in 2010, there were over a billion (mostly noncommercial) vehicles in the world. Then add combination vehicles and other regulated vehicles to that number.

How many driverless vehicles are in that mix? Almost not worth noting.

So how can they say that they are safer than vehicles driven by humans? There's no proven apples for apples ratio.

Put a billion of them on the road and then figure the ratio.

F

Frankie's Friend

There simply isn't enough data available for that to be a "scientific fact" (lol).

I agree. This should have been addressed in this contract before it's too late. Hoffa is a P*.

Lol.

Listen genius. Compare the number of driverless cars on the road vs human drivers. No :censored2: driverless cars have less accidents.
Winners x 2

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

A documented case of a death caused by an automatic car is an opinion?

Some people don't know what extrapolation means.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

They will park at pull off areas and a driver will take them the remaining few miles to the hubs.

Those damn regulations, how dare they not allow technology to kill people on their way to work!

How does the driver get to the “pull off area”?

Faceplanted

Lol.
We have pull off areas for 53 foot double in my state which are only allowed on certain highways at certain times. 1 driver will pull 2 53 footers, pull into the area, break them down and drive them one by one to the “hub”

Self-driving cars are already really safe

Every study that I have seen so far have showed that per mile traveled, autonomous vehicles are less likely to be involved in accident.

FYI 90% of crashes at this point in time are due to some sort of driver error. Straight from the governments own website.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812115

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

The only way autonomous vehicles will "out perform" is when they are the only ones on the road. As long as you have unpredictable humans behind the wheel the system will not work (in my opinion).