ORION + Hybrid Driver = Autonomous Vehicles

Faceplanted

The only way autonomous vehicles will "out perform" is when they are the only ones on the road. As long as you have unpredictable humans behind the wheel the system will not work (in my opinion).
Wrong.

We are good defensive drivers. 99% of the public isn’t. Sensors will see things well before they do.

Waymo has logged tons of miles, lots of other companies are logging tons of miles. Thus far, the ratio of miles to accidents and pedestrian impacts is lower than that of a human behind the wheel.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Wrong.

We are good defensive drivers. 99% of the public isn’t. Sensors will see things well before they do.

Waymo has logged tons of miles, lots of other companies are logging tons of miles. Thus far, the ratio of miles to accidents and pedestrian impacts is lower than that of a human behind the wheel.
tenor (73).gif

Indecisi0n

Wrong.

You're delusional.

Faceplanted

It's obvious you haven't done your research or you did only to prove your own basis. I will not waste me time.
It’s literally already being done in the trucking industry. Ups can easially make a new pay classification for feeder drivers who will only be baby sitters in autonomous vehicles. 22.6 ect. Pay them less than “real” feeder drivers because they will technically not be driving the vehicle during its whole time on the highway. This is what this whole thread is about. You and your boyfriend don’t seem to understand that.

Ups didn’t put in a big order for Tesla trucks for no reason. Expect to see a new job classification next contract for feeder “baby sitter” drivers.

Indecisi0n

It’s literally already being done in the trucking industry. Ups can easially make a new pay classification for feeder drivers who will only be baby sitters in autonomous vehicles. 22.6 ect. Pay them less than “real” feeder drivers because they will technically not be driving the vehicle during its whole time on the highway. This is what this whole thread is about. You and your boyfriend don’t seem to understand that.
If this is the near future why are companies already pulling out from testing? I guess the idea of an autonomous trucking killing a family just isn't good for business. When a autonomous car/truck kills someone who is responsible? The hardware manufacture? the software manufacturer? The person in the car? Their insurance company? All four of them?

Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Pedestrian in Arizona, Where Robots Roam

The accident was a reminder that self-driving technology is still in the experimental stage, and governments are still trying to figure out how to regulate it.

Uber, Waymo and a long list of tech companies and automakers have begun to expand testing of their self-driving vehicles in cities around the country. The companies say the cars will be safer than regular cars simply because they take easily distracted humans out of the driving equation. But the technology is still only about a decade old, and just now starting to experience the unpredictable situations that drivers can face.

This is just one of endless articles. Don't believe the hype. I believe this will happen but it is no where near ready to roll out on a full scale. As far as trucking goes the first stage MIGHT be just straight highway runs but even that is not in the near future.

Faceplanted

Expert? When did I ever claim to be an expert? I post these things and list my opinion. I can't predict the future and either can you. The fact that you claim your opinions as facts gives you less credibility.
Opinion......

ALREADY HAPPENING is not opinion

ALREADY SAFER THAN HUMANS BEHIND THE WHEEL is not opinion

Faceplanted

If this is the near future why are companies already pulling out from testing? I guess the idea of an autonomous trucking killing a family just isn't good for business. When a autonomous car/truck kills someone who is responsible? The hardware manufacture? the software manufacturer? The person in the car? Their insurance company? All four of them?

Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Pedestrian in Arizona, Where Robots Roam

The accident was a reminder that self-driving technology is still in the experimental stage, and governments are still trying to figure out how to regulate it.

Uber, Waymo and a long list of tech companies and automakers have begun to expand testing of their self-driving vehicles in cities around the country. The companies say the cars will be safer than regular cars simply because they take easily distracted humans out of the driving equation. But the technology is still only about a decade old, and just now starting to experience the unpredictable situations that drivers can face.

This is just one of endless articles. Don't believe the hype. I believe this will happen but it is no where near ready to roll out on a full scale. As far as trucking goes the first stage MIGHT be just straight highway runs but even that is not in the near future.
Ooooo ya, the pedestrian crossing illegally. That story. Have toxicology reports been released on the pedestrian?

If that was a human driving, who would have been at fault... pro-tip, not the human.

Last edited:

BrownRecycler

The self-drive truck is going to run people over. Then, UPS will have no choice but to come crying for you to drive for them. They will pay million of dollars in settlement that could have gone in your pocket.

It is a stupid technology that Tesla - Eleon Musk tried that end up creating car accidents.

UPS can't cut corner, you as a hard working truck driver.

This is no difference with drone. People have to be train to be a drone aviation operator. They have to get FAA license because they need to fly in the sky. They cannot fly drone too close to people's property as it is consider trespassing. People have legal obligation to use their shotgun to shoot it down then sues UPS for any fall impact damage from falling package. If a random redneck shoot it and packages fall on them, how much money in lawsuit do you think they will get even if it wasn't a wise thing to do? On top of that, UPS loses money from destroyed drones. If people ignore their legal rights, they will be permitting government to violate their civil right.

A running robot cannot fear danger. So, if a pitbull decided to attack robot. The UPS will have a field day with the lawyer explaining why their 200 pounds damaged robot hurt the owner's dog. Is the robot going to put on trial to testify on UPS behalf? NO!

I can't help but think UPS is creating all this nonsense to scare you guys into saying YES to contract. You are smarter and better than that.

The old fashion way is better.

Last edited: