Orion this peak?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Watch what your doing and back only half way in the driveway. If you have had the same truck for years, there shouldnt be a problem. I got this 700 when it had 30 miles on it

We have a poster on our safety board that addresses this very issues.

It says that while we should stay out of residential driveways if we must back in to one we should strive to be a quarterback; that is, we should only back far enough to get off of the street. If that is not possible, we should then strive to be a halfback, backing halfway in to the driveway. We should do all that we can to not be a fullback, backing all the way in to the driveway. I would think the only time this would be an option is if we have an Over 70 w/o a handcart.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Time burn by looking for pkgs and/or sorting, walking (which Orion encourage) and waiting at traffic lights or intersection to cross the street. More miles by avoiding backs and unnecessary breaks. Same input different method

If you had a SPORH of 20 driving 60 miles and running scratch there is no way in the world you could maintain the same SPORH driving 80 miles while running 2 hours paid over.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hey Dave, in Mr. Goldens defense he did say maybe up 1 or 2 on the stops per hour in his post.

Fair enough.

Let's say he is running 20 stops per on road hour. This means he should be delivering 160 stops in 8 hours of on road time. Let's now say he is running 18 SPORH while delivering those same 160 stops, which works out to 9 hours of on road time. He also said he is running 20-30 miles more per day. Assuming an average speed of 30 mph, this would add an additional hour to his day which would put him at 10 hours of on road time.

The math does back up his claim but I'm still not buying what he is trying to sell.

Mr.Golden

Fair enough.

Let's say he is running 20 stops per on road hour. This means he should be delivering 160 stops in 8 hours of on road time. Let's now say he is running 18 SPORH while delivering those same 160 stops, which works out to 9 hours of on road time. He also said he is running 20-30 miles more per day. Assuming an average speed of 30 mph, this would add an additional hour to his day which would put him at 10 hours of on road time.

The math does back up his claim but I'm still not buying what he is trying to sell.

1hr break?

By The Book

Fair enough.

It's hard to run Orion at 100 % trace and not have any service failures. The routes that have a higher trace percentage are usually a more residential heavy route with a lot of stops., and few pickups. I know it would be difficult to run Orion during peak as the trucks fill up. It's not impossible though to shoot for the 85% and stay on trace for almost all of those residential stops later in the day.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'm still trying to figure this guy out. (Mr. golden). Seems to have a basic knowledge of our job but I agree with the slave man and upstate and just don't buy it. Anyone else?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
It's hard to run Orion at 100 % trace and not have any service failures. The routes that have a higher trace percentage are usually a more residential heavy route with a lot of stops., and few pickups. I know it would be difficult to run Orion during peak as the trucks fill up. It's not impossible though to shoot for the 85% and stay on trace for almost all of those residential stops later in the day.
Our center team still printed Orion reports this past peak they just didn't bust chops. You'd be surprised how high a percentage you run, at least I did using RDO all day. Instead of 3,4 stops per street doing 10,20 per street just makes your percentage high by attrition.

By The Book

Our center team still printed Orion reports this past peak they just didn't bust chops. You'd be surprised how high a percentage you run, at least I did using RDO all day. Instead of 3,4 stops per street doing 10,20 per street just makes your percentage high by attrition.
My mindset was to let guys know to follow Orion if it works for you at the time. Make adjustments and decisions to make service and get back on trace. Your percentage will be higher and you get to be a driver like you used to, albeit for a brief moment. This will also keep them off your back and you out of the office.