orion

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
My Center Manager is trying to talk me into becoming a Safety Committee Co-Chair. I'm on TAW right now, I got a call this morning to attend a quarterly meeting with District/Zone/Division level management. UPS just opened a new Integrad School in Duluth, Ga, its not far form Corporate. We got to tour this facility and what they call "Tiny Town" next to it in the parking lot. I have never seen package cars so clean, I was shocked.
Would you be getting paid on top of your TAW pay??? Congrats on the "tiny town" training. Sure it was life changing. I was once on safety committee in the 90's till it became a "supervisor suck ass wanna be committee"....,,,

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think I got paid eight hours for Safety instead of TAW today, it was a short day. I had to drive an hour and a half through Atlanta rush hour traffic to get there, it is about 45 miles from my house. UPS spends about $45 million a year on safety hours, that's how much of a problem accidents and injuries are. I didn't get to drive the course, we were just walked through it after lunch. We weren't allowed to take photos because of an agreement with MIT and Virginia Tech which helped design it. Monkey Butt has nothing to do with this, he is retired.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I think I got paid eight hours for Safety instead of TAW today, it was a short day. I had to drive an hour and a half through Atlanta rush hour traffic to get there, it is about 45 miles from my house. UPS spends about $45 million a year on safety hours, that's how much of a problem accidents and injuries are. I didn't get to drive the course, we were just walked through it after lunch. We weren't allowed to take photo's because of an agreement with MIT and Virginia Tech which helped design it.
In my building that 45 million is because the safety guys claim to be making copies for "safety" and bill an extra hour everyday. Thieves.

Method$

I ran 75-80% trace, but beat the miles. Recently this wasn't good enough, 85-90%trace, over on miles.... Not good enough either. I asked them to pick. Blank face vs. blank face.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think I got paid eight hours for Safety instead of TAW today, it was a short day. I had to drive an hour and a half through Atlanta rush hour traffic to get there, it is about 45 miles from my house. UPS spends about $45 million a year on safety hours, that's how much of a problem accidents and injuries are. I didn't get to drive the course, we were just walked through it after lunch. We weren't allowed to take photos because of an agreement with MIT and Virginia Tech which helped design it. Monkey Butt has nothing to do with this, he is retired.
Mit and Virginia tech was needed for....???

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In my building that 45 million is because the safety guys claim to be making copies for "safety" and bill an extra hour everyday. Thieves.

They used to use Safety Committee members to shuttle around missorts until some managers got canned for it last year. Its an easy day off the road, our job stewards are on the committee too. Everybody should join the committee, it's supposed to be run by hourlies. Basically, I key in reports all day when I want to sit in the office.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In your experience scratch what percentage of accidents and injuries are caused by drivers trying to rush to meet some metric vs. real accidents or just cornball drivers ???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They used to use Safety Committee members to shuttle around missorts until some managers got canned for it last year. Its an easy day off the road, our job stewards are on the committee too. Everybody should join the committee, it's supposed to be run by hourlies. Basically, I key in reports all day when I want to sit in the office.
Well mgrs all across this country are using safety committee members to run misloads... Maybe they all should be let go

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Mit and Virginia tech was needed for....???

They helped design some of the elements used for the indoor training like stepping on the scale to demonstrate the three points of contact, walking on slippery surfaces, some of the software in the classroom, etc. Its the same stuff you see in official published photos from the last several years. Its private property so no cameras are allowed. "Tiny Town"is right next to Interstate 85, you could just pull over and take all the photos you want.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
And why shouldn't they? Managment shouldn't touch packages.
Because they use safety committee members to not show as a shuttle or route being run and are in essence manipulating numbers. Also it should be a bidded job no? Two year safety guy gets the cushy job because of numbers? Cmon man.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In your experience scratch what percentage of accidents and injuries are caused by drivers trying to rush to meet some metric vs. real accidents or just cornball drivers ???

I'm not a numbers guy, but a majority of accidents are avoidable. Distracted driving and poor decision making are the main reasons, they eat up about 30 per cent of company profits.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They helped design some of the elements used for the indoor training like stepping on the scale to demonstrate the three points of contact, walking on slippery surfaces, some of the software in the classroom, etc. Its the same stuff you see in official published photos from the last several years. Its private property so no cameras are allowed. "Tiny Town"is right next to Interstate 85, you could just pull over and take all the photos you want.
Does it have little sheds for houses???? I understand the idea but once again it's not real world ...just all lollypops and unicorns.. Total fake sh...

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I still hear stories from members in my area of safety comity members just running misloads all day for there 8 hours..........