orion

Grey

We've had ORION for over a year and I've never used it. Maybe RDO is over 85% or management doesn't care. Another center in our hub has had it for 2.5 years and they say the same thing.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This actually makes sense. Our younger drivers tend to rely on technology to get from Point A to B.

This point has been brought up in our mentoring program. New drivers try to use GPS, they aren't used to looking at a map and figuring out how streets are laid out in relation to each other. The Integrad manager mentioned this too. The traditional methods that were used to train drivers don't work well with the present generation. A bigger percentage were getting overwhelmed and dropping out, so the Integrad program was designed to use newer methods to get them used to the methods. They also wanted the training to be the same nationwide instead of varying from Center to Center. A drop in accidents and injuries is expected from the new curriculum.

onehandsolo

Heard tonight Center Manager is thinking about implementing ORION for Saturday Air. Six drivers averaging 20 stops a driver. Wonder how much money that will save the company. More about control then anything else.

Orion actually works well for Saturday air. Probably because everything can be delivered before meals and pickups.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I ran that buddy* into the ground today, stop for stop. 17 miles over. Could have been done an hour earlier.
Ran that shiitt gangsta style...a gangsta gotta do what a gangsta gotta do...who are we to judge... Lol all day long on that$$$$$$lol total smoke and mirrors for the shareholders... Dog and friend'ing pony show ...sups who can't make a decision.. How "boss" is that!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Heard tonight Center Manager is thinking about implementing ORION for Saturday Air. Six drivers averaging 20 stops a driver. Wonder how much money that will save the company. More about control then anything else.
Oh come on.. We know that's not true.. Everybody knows a "decision" like that is above a center "managers" pay grade... lol lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I heard the word "Orion" out of our night OMSs mouth on Friday night. It was the first time anyone has mentioned it at our center; if not for BC I wouldn't know what Orion was.

Needless to say, I am afraid!
No big deal...I rather hear about Orion than about how many backs I've done.... Thank the lord I'm over the hump and heading down hill on the backside of my time here in an old pos truck with gears grinding and flames coming out the back of that dented,piss smelling,brown bitch...it also helps that I'm feeder qualified and my time in pkg is coming to an end sooner than later

Coldworld

60 months and counting
National Master Agreement. Article 18, Section 20.4 I'm glad I work in a Center that is run this way. We have Shop Stewards as members and our Local 728 Business Agent was in attendance at our last meeting. Its too bad that the general attitude is that people like to gripe about things, but don't want to get involved.
its probably because people know that the company isn't concerned about safety unless it cost them money and production at all costs is the name of the game...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This point has been brought up in our mentoring program. New drivers try to use GPS, they aren't used to looking at a map and figuring out how streets are laid out in relation to each other. The Integrad manager mentioned this too. The traditional methods that were used to train drivers don't work well with the present generation. A bigger percentage were getting overwhelmed and dropping out, so the Integrad program was designed to use newer methods to get them used to the methods. They also wanted the training to be the same nationwide instead of varying from Center to Center. A drop in accidents and injuries is expected from the new curriculum.
Yeah, drop in accidents and injuries we'll see about that!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, drop in accidents and injuries we'll see about that!!

I don't think that a drop in accidents and injuries is a bad thing. We currently have four drivers in my district that had to hire attorneys because they and UPS are both being sued.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Supposedly to save a few miles, and pay us overtime, instead. From one balance sheet to the other. Especially now with fuel prices down. 2 gals of fuel to one hour of overtime in my world ...isnt worth it.
It's not about saving fuel, never has been. It's about increasing the number of stops per mile so they can give us more stops in a day. More stops per driver, less routes they have to put in. Fewer drivers to pay is where they realize their savings. As an added savings, a lot of older drivers that were on the fence about retiring are now putting in their paperwork because they don't want to deal with this train wreck.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
We are in the process of getting ORION. In a perfect world it rocks however, we do not live in a perfect world. The way ORION is now it's too static. It can not adjust to changing conditions a skilled experienced driver faces a million times a day. It can't make a judgement call that a driver will make to work safely and efficiently.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We are in the process of getting ORION. In a perfect world it rocks however, we do not live in a perfect world. The way ORION is now it's too static. It can not adjust to changing conditions a skilled experienced driver faces a million times a day. It can't make a judgement call that a driver will make to work safely and efficiently.
image.jpg

AKCoverMan

I would love to see you start an Alaskan thread. Most of us don't know a whole lot about Alaska. Couldn't imagine loving there or trying to deliver there.

A few years ago I had to send some ukuleles to Alaska. Sent them through the post office and the paper work said we can use alternative methods of delivery . whatever that means?

Is it also true about the lack of street names?
The populated areas do in fact have street names including a few made up by the resident living on the so called street just so we will deliver to them.

More on that as well as "alternative delivery methods" (no, not drones!) in a new thread to be launched in my spare time. I promise it will be an Amazon-free thread.

Well, mostly.

Ring Sport

They helped design some of the elements used for the indoor training like stepping on the scale to demonstrate the three points of contact, walking on slippery surfaces, some of the software in the classroom, etc. Its the same stuff you see in official published photos from the last several years. Its private property so no cameras are allowed. "Tiny Town"is right next to Interstate 85, you could just pull over and take all the photos you want.

That scale concept has always cracked me up. So now instead of your knees taking the stress of stepping out of the car, it is on your shoulder. And it is at an end range motion. I use the hand rail for balance and that is it, if I feel necessary. I step straight down out of the package car instead of jumping out. My knees, and body feel great after 25+ years. And I have never had an injury.

jbg77

Orion is coming to our center soon and I've heard all the same rumors as here. Less miles more or. My question is, is this creating any more ft driver jobs at any of the other centers?

barnyard

KTM rider
My question is, is this creating any more ft driver jobs at any of the other centers?

2 routes were cut out in my center. They were out until peak, then they were put back in and have been in ever since.

If I remember correctly, every route gained 10% more work. Once orion is implemented, set up allowance goes away.