Ouch! So much for pinching pennies.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS argued it followed the rules and can only do so much to police what its 1.6 million daily shippers send in sealed packages.

"New York's action sought to force UPS to serve in a quasi-law enforcement role which involved monitoring, inspecting and reporting package contents, which is not appropriate for a common carrier," UPS spokesman Steve Gaut said in a statement.

"The Court found UPS in full compliance since 2015 and rejected the request for an injunction or appointment of a monitor," Gaut said. "New York abandoned a collaborative system to identify and remove illegal cigarette shipments that worked well for years in favor of a lawsuit to seek a monetary windfall."
Federal judge orders UPS to pay $247 million for illegally shipping cigarettes

upschuck

The parties had to file certain required information to the court before April 7 in which UPS' court submissions showed a "lack of cooperation" and "odd abrasiveness," according to the court ruling.

I find this hard to comprehend.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Didn't UPS settle one of these cases out of court a couple years ago and almost invite other states to sue them?

Nope.

That was 2013 and UPS paid $40 million from illicit online pharmacies under an agreement with the U.S. Justice Department. The company wasn’t prosecuted in that case.

FedEx was also sued, but their case was thrown out during trial, paying nothing.

This lawsuit was filed last year.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
"The suit alleged that tobacco retailers located on upstate reservations were given price discounts for shipping in volume. It said delivery drivers were allowed to accept iPads and other gifts from shippers and that account executives, whose compensation was tied to keeping big accounts, ignored signs that some customers signing delivery contracts dealt in cigarettes."
How many iPads does @UpstateNYUPSer have stuffed under the Christmas Tree from the Oneida Indian Nation?
See? The drivers are always at fault.

Nike

I'm sure the CEO will take it out of his check. Seriously how does one man or woman have the power to fine someone such an amount. It's insane if you ask me, if I worked with UPS legal I'd be chomping at the bit to fight this one