Our ORION team is so arrogant and full of themselves it's hilarious

BostonBo

I've learned to game the system to be over 85%, be close to the miles, service my com, and stay off the main roads at 5 PM rush hour. I could beat the miles most days but I have to start at the "other end" to keep my percentage up. Air and bulk is the name of my game.

Packmule

Just got our Orion team in a couple of weeks ago. They are all friendly as it gets, so no complaints there. I have some concerns as I feel like their computers will never outthink a competent driver's brain when all the reality variables pop up, but then again, I haven't had my ride along yet so maybe the one on one will answer a lot of questions.
Trying to stay positive.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I've learned to game the system to be over 85%, be close to the miles, service my com, and stay off the main roads at 5 PM rush hour. I could beat the miles most days but I have to start at the "other end" to keep my percentage up. Air and bulk is the name of my game.

Bravo, sir. Your gaming of "the game" serves no purpose other than, keeping you off the radar and providing false "proof" that ORION works.

Keep up the good work, "brother".

Before Orion, I was a scratch driver on my route. After Orion, I'm consistently 2 hours over-allowed. Orion shaved so many miles from my route that it now takes 160+ stops a day for an 8-hour dispatch when before it only took around 125 stops.
UPS is telling us it's all about the miles because they know that mileage was a large factor in the current time allowances. It's not so much about the fuel savings as it is about increasing the work loads. Why else would they want to save $20/day in fuel only to pay me an extra $100/day in overtime? I'm now working 8-10 hours more each week because of this :censored2:ed-up system.

moldsporh

If they are pushing to save miles, does that mean they are pushing to save fuel, along with idle time??

If orion adds at least 30 min per day at the minimum, how does that save money?

Do the math, 30 min of overtime compared to price per gallon of fuel.

Orion initial cost plus continuous daily loss....when will they figure out that it's a bottomless pit. We get paid to get the job done we do our jobs because we know how to get it done in a timely manner.

All the numbers are whacked now because of orion.

Go back to pre-telematics or even after telematics started....compare profit margins....it's not rocket science.

upsmaninmi

For city drivers at my center, Orion is extremely unsafe. Left turn after left turn on busy roads at rush hour, wants you to back constantly, etc etc. I've brought the constant backing up to management, they're response is "Orion would never tell you to back in a residential driveway". What a load of BS. Just turn it off before you have an accident that they won't have your back on, cause you sure as hell cant blame Orion. It's perfect.

upsmaninmi

They also like to tell us how Orion has saved 800-1000 miles vs this time last year. But in they're next breath they are begging for sales leads because we're running 10 less routes vs this time last year. I may be a dumb truck driver, but I can do math.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's not designed to get bulk out. It's designed to save miles. Which, at least in my center, it has done.
Then by your logic, we should just give each driver a wheelbarrow and have him walk the packages out to his delivery area, because that would save even more miles.

"Getting bulk out" is what we do and any new system we implement needs to be designed around this fact rather than being in direct opposition to it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Just got our Orion team in a couple of weeks ago. They are all friendly as it gets, so no complaints there. I have some concerns as I feel like their computers will never outthink a competent driver's brain when all the reality variables pop up, but then again, I haven't had my ride along yet so maybe the one on one will answer a lot of questions.
Trying to stay positive.
You should be positive. Until proven otherwise. It can work, it just doesnt here.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Before Orion, I was a scratch driver on my route. After Orion, I'm consistently 2 hours over-allowed. Orion shaved so many miles from my route that it now takes 160+ stops a day for an 8-hour dispatch when before it only took around 125 stops.
UPS is telling us it's all about the miles because they know that mileage was a large factor in the current time allowances. It's not so much about the fuel savings as it is about increasing the work loads. Why else would they want to save $20/day in fuel only to pay me an extra $100/day in overtime? I'm now working 8-10 hours more each week because of this :censored2:ed-up system.
Well dontcha know, you have shaved down the miles so instead of 14 stops per hour, (for example) they now want 20. But do not take into consideration that the time you would have been driving those miles, you are now sitting waiting to go left. Digging out packages, if you can locate them, buried under bulk that should have been out by now and delivered first.

Well dontcha know, you have shaved down the miles so instead of 14 stops per hour, (for example) they now want 20. But do not take into consideration that the time you would have been driving those miles, you are now sitting waiting to go left. Digging out packages, if you can locate them, buried under bulk that should have been out by now and delivered first.
Plus, it now takes me 10-15 minutes longer to arrive at my first stop now that I am no longer allowed to take the freeway.
Not much is being said about the over-allowed yet, but I know it's coming soon. They'll drop the dispatch down, cut some air stops to the route next to mine, massage the load, and do a 3-day ride to try to lock me into an exaggerated sporh, but I've had to deal with that bs in the past. I was hoping to coast my way to retirement, but Orion :censored2:ed that up now. It's all good though, I can blame the slow pace on my age.;)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Just get on the 9.5 list and keep filing over 9.5 grievances. Eventually something has to break.
That does seem the only possible way to keep things balanced. They were habitually loading me up, keeping me out til 9 because a computer said it was possible.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Then by your logic, we should just give each driver a wheelbarrow and have him walk the packages out to his delivery area, because that would save even more miles.

"Getting bulk out" is what we do and any new system we implement needs to be designed around this fact rather than being in direct opposition to it.
Exactly. And if I can move in the truck its no problem, but its ridiculous when you know its a 11 hour day when you leave, and you are digging out an envelope, in the 8300 section, when you have 300-400 pieces that really need to be moved. After all, that commercial is heavy, in the way, and pays a lot more than an envelope does. And comes out much faster.

oldngray

nowhere special
Exactly. And if I can move in the truck its no problem, but its ridiculous when you know its a 11 hour day when you leave, and you are digging out an envelope, in the 8300 section, when you have 300-400 pieces that really need to be moved. After all, that commercial is heavy, in the way, and pays a lot more than an envelope does. And comes out much faster.

That is just using common sense. Which gets tossed out with ORION.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is use using common sense. Which gets tossed out with ORION.
"First stop compliance" is a joke. A total day-ruiner, which is why 60% of our drivers do not comply. Spending 5 minutes shifting around and digging through the back of the car for an envelope is asinine, I don't care how much money it saves on a spreadsheet. Worse yet, when you get to the stop and can't find the package after 10 minutes of rummaging.