Out of sight/weather

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
About the time you open a gate and a dog gets out and runs away, you'll be hung out to dry for it.
Ever catch a sunbathing beauty on the back patio? All fun and games till you get charged as a peeping Tom. And if she's underage, you'll become a bonified sex offender.
Put 'em on the porch and let UPS keep the liabilities.
This one I might be willing to learn the hard way.

Packmule

Locally, FedEx Ground already paid for a drill a customer said was stolen out of a garage. Because their driver put it in a garage he was not authorized to enter they had to pay for it. And they don't for a minute think the driver took it.
Got this info from a FedEx supervisor who happens to be my son in law.

Omega man

So, since it has been reported (nationally, not here) that we have idiots stealing pkgs off porches again, we are being harassed to get parcels out of sight again. No. I won't.
When UPS gives me a legal right to trespass private property, fine. Till then I only have a legal right to the front porch.
Unless I know the customer, I'm not sticking a five dollar surpost in a garage, only to be accused of stealing a 200 dollar drill!
This has always been part of the normal delivery procedures and part of doing the complete job. You are setting yourself up for discipline if you do not follow.
Out of sight/weather does not mean you have to trespass.
It only means taking the time to hide it from view and bag if exposed to weather.
You get paid by the hour to follow UPS' procedures even if they take longer for you to deliver.
Following them insures your longevity as an employee and usually forces UPS to dispatch you more fairly. One day you will realize this.

Packmule

This has always been part of the normal delivery procedures and part of doing the complete job. You are setting yourself up for discipline if you do not follow.
Out of sight/weather does not mean you have to trespass.
It only means taking the time to hide it from view and bag if exposed to weather.
You get paid by the hour to follow UPS' procedures even if they take longer for you to deliver.
Following them insures your longevity as an employee and usually forces UPS to dispatch you more fairly. One day you will realize this.
Been here 36 years so I must be doing something right. I'm usually one of the last drivers in because I don't run. Point is, it isn't about time, it's because the world has changed and honesty isn't a commodity you can count on from the community anymore. UPS needs to adapt or they will soon be paying for things they shouldn't have to.
It's already happened at FedEx here. It's just a matter of time before Brown gets burned and you can bet your life they'll be looking to pass the buck to drivers.

Indecisi0n

Been here 36 years so I must be doing something right. I'm usually one of the last drivers in because I don't run. Point is, it isn't about time, it's because the world has changed and honesty isn't a commodity you can count on from the community anymore. UPS needs to adapt or they will soon be paying for things they shouldn't have to.
It's already happened at FedEx here. It's just a matter of time before Brown gets burned and you can bet your life they'll be looking to pass the buck to drivers.
I don't think UPS wants to open that can of worms by making drivers pay for DR packages. That would backfire real quick and make those stock whores very upset.

throwbackk

I don't think UPS wants to open that can of worms by making drivers pay for DR packages. That would backfire real quick and make those stock whores very upset.
Yep. How long will it take me to do 220-270 stops during peak if I refuse to dr anything because It's coming out of my check. Better yet how will they handle send again volume coupled with the next days.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do not go through gates, period, except where I have talked to an owner and told that I can, and guaranteed the dog will not be out. A swing driver doesnt have that luxury, dont go through a closed gate. If you can bag it and put it over the gate, I will do that in the dark. I dont go to back doors, in the dark unless well lit. Or I know its safe there. There are a lot of safety issues related to not knowing an area, to being a swing driver, and its not worth the risk, especially after dark and depending on the neighborhood.
This time of year, if it looks like a gift and nowhere to dr, I may call the number on the package, if it looks like they are home, and I cant get to the door. But you really shouldnt have to because the consignee should know it is coming, and should make access available, you have to put some responsibility on them, to make sure sure they can get their stuff. Usually a delivery notice lights up a house, the next day.