Outside work injury

Katelin

I was in a car accident and have a possible hairline fracture on my tibia bone not 100% sure until doctors confirm it. I’m worried about work because if it’s broke it’ll be 6-8 weeks off. Will I not be be paid on that time off since it was outside of ups?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, are you OK? Take care of yourself and worry about the other stuff later.

Secondly, no, you will not be paid from UPS while you are out. They may let you do light duty like scanning but are in no way obligated to do so as it was an off duty injury.

Third, you need to call the union to find out what you need to do to file for disability. Your auto insurance policy may also have disability coverage.

Johney

That wasn't part of her question but unfortunately you are right.
How do you know that? Not by the name I hope.
159249_v9_bb.jpg

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
You can always get extra short term disability insurance with Aflac or something. I pay like $20 a week but at least if I get injured outside of work I know I can pay my bills. It’s a good safety net imo.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can always get extra short term disability insurance with Aflac or something. I pay like $20 a week but at least if I get injured outside of work I know I can pay my bills. It’s a good safety net imo.

I had Combined for a number of years until I sat down and did a cost analysis and realized I was losing money.

Shiftless

I was in a car accident and have a possible hairline fracture on my tibia bone not 100% sure until doctors confirm it. I’m worried about work because if it’s broke it’ll be 6-8 weeks off. Will I not be be paid on that time off since it was outside of ups?

Were you driving when the accident happened? Whole other can of worms!

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
QUIT UPS, SUE THE OTHER PARTY FOR PAIN AND SUFFERING

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Neither of them------your best bet would be to set aside money in a "just in case" account.

I was spending $100/month for my coverage and the claims in no way justified the expense.
Yea I got that too. I have enough to cover my bills for 8months or so but still figure $20bucks a week isn’t bad for an extra security. Heck I’ll spend that on a couple of drinks or something in a week.

clean hairy

If you are in the union, find out how to temporarily suspend dues so you do not get a bill for past amount owed....
Short term disability 60% of income per week i believe...

ManInBrown

You better drag that broken leg into work tomorrow. Walk right to your truck, and drop a banker box full of paper on it.