Over allowed write ups have begun.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I have to disagree with you on that. Everything is about numbers, even of it isn't the correct numbers

the numbers aren't always precise, but the story they tell about what's going on is usually pretty close

How much of a difference in SPORH between supervised and unsupervised before you start taking action?

i've seen managers freak out over 1 SPORH, but i wouldn't really examine someone for any difference less than 4 personally; there's too many variables

35years

Gravy route
It's not about over allowed...it's about methods and supervised vs unsupervised...especially as fair days work.

Supervised vs unsupervised?
Oh, you mean unsupervised vs a 3 day ride where the supervisor helps the driver in countless ways...

-Opening doors, closing doors

-Getting the attention of the person to sign while driver is sheeting/unloading to expedite signature

-pointing out the location of mis-sorts in the truck

-Driver going around house to DR pkg and sup stays in front and yells cust is now out front

-Sup intercepting on calls and reassigning to alt driver

-load sup making sure load is perfect for 3 days, sometimes including taking off a few select bad stops, every label up and out, etc. etc.

-3 days for ride never chosen at random or when weather is bad

-Sup alerting driver to not forget to work in this or that stop

-sup steadying unbalanced load on cart or, heaven forbid, sorting, flipping labels up, or lifting pkgs from floor to shelf while driver is away from the truck.

-sup walking ahead of driver at a business to clear the way.

-all messages normally sent through the DIAD to driver on 3 day ride handled by the sup via a cell phone call.

-sup driving to or from route to "demonstrate" while speeding.

-sup walking at unnaturally fast pace to speed driver's pace.

I could name 20 to 30 more that have happened to me personally on production rides where the sup is supposedly "just observing".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

the numbers aren't always precise, but the story they tell about what's going on is usually pretty close

i've seen managers freak out over 1 SPORH, but i wouldn't really examine someone for any difference less than 4 personally; there's too many variables

1 SPORH is negligible-----4 is much more significant and I agree would be cause for further investigation.

35years

Gravy route
1 SPORH is negligible-----4 is much more significant and I agree would be cause for further investigation.
Further investigation into whether the supervised SPORH was "observed" in an unbiased, unmanipulative way. And was truly representative of a typical day.

Anyone with knowledge of statistical studies will agree that an unrepresentative study conducted not at random will result in extremely unreliable data. Not to mention the observer being biased and affecting the driver.

The margin of error in such a small, unrepresentative sample would be so large that any conclusions based on the results would have to be seen as at least spurious if not completely unreliable. in addition to throwing out the results on rainy, snowy, icy or heavy and light days.

Too many variables uncontrolled.
Unrepresentative, small, not random sample.
Implementation and manipulation by a biased observer.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route

Wow, way to generalize...From an IE guy.

My route runs scratch/observed at 10 SPORH so I guess 7 SPORH is OK then? :cool-very:

The numbers on most routes are complete fiction.
I had a time study done on a previous route that gained 1 and 1/2 hours.
On an inner city route where no development had occurred in 50 years!
I went from an hour over to 1/2 hour under in one day changing no behavior.

So which time study was flawed?...

Both.

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Wow, way to generalize...From an IE guy.

My route runs scratch/observed at 10 SPORH so I guess 7 SPORH is OK then? :cool-very:

The numbers on most routes are complete fiction.
I had a time study done on a previous route that gained 1 and 1/2 hours.
On an inner city route where no development had occurred in 50 years!
I went from an hour over to 1/2 hour under in one day changing no behavior.

So which time study was flawed?...

Both.
it's quite a stretch to say that the numbers are complete fiction instead of simply saying that they are flawed

if you demonstrate a 15 every single day and then we make the goal a 15.1 is that complete fiction, or just lazy of us?

The numbers behind the goals aren't handed down by God but they're not complete bull:censored2: either, there is a middle ground

542thruNthru

it's quite a stretch to say that the numbers are complete fiction instead of simply saying that they are flawed

if you demonstrate a 15 every single day and then we make the goal a 15.1 is that complete fiction, or just lazy of us?

The numbers behind the goals aren't handed down by God but they're not complete bull:censored2: either, there is a middle ground

Our center manager isn't after us for SPORH. It's over allowed. The SPORH has only changed by 1 but the over allowed it a little over a hour.

35years

Gravy route

They are complete fiction if you think any driver demonstrates 15 stops per day every single day (not 14.9 or 15.1).

ezmoney5150

Supervised vs unsupervised?
Oh, you mean unsupervised vs a 3 day ride where the supervisor helps the driver in countless ways...

-Opening doors, closing doors

-Getting the attention of the person to sign while driver is sheeting/unloading to expedite signature

-pointing out the location of mis-sorts in the truck

-Driver going around house to DR pkg and sup stays in front and yells cust is now out front

-Sup intercepting on calls and reassigning to alt driver

-load sup making sure load is perfect for 3 days, sometimes including taking off a few select bad stops, every label up and out, etc. etc.

-3 days for ride never chosen at random or when weather is bad

-Sup alerting driver to not forget to work in this or that stop

-sup steadying unbalanced load on cart or, heaven forbid, sorting, flipping labels up, or lifting pkgs from floor to shelf while driver is away from the truck.

-sup walking ahead of driver at a business to clear the way.

-all messages normally sent through the DIAD to driver on 3 day ride handled by the sup via a cell phone call.

-sup driving to or from route to "demonstrate" while speeding.

-sup walking at unnaturally fast pace to speed driver's pace.

I could name 20 to 30 more that have happened to me personally on production rides where the sup is supposedly "just observing".
I used to love when the sup did that. Then it can't be used against you. Even in Feeders I used to go ok crank my landing gear for me. They knew better that to bring me in on a supervised and unsupervised.

35years

Gravy route
TearsInRain...
Perhaps you are unaware that routes have their numbers changed numerous times over the years without a new time study.

Just because a runner gunner comes in early, sorts through break, speeds all day, runs and works unsafely and thus "demonstrates" that the route can average 15 SPORH, does not mean the "allowance" should be bumped up.

If observed/supervised SPORH is the criteria then all of the "helping" behavior, manipulation of driver, loading and sorting, work, and customers along with manipulation of dates observed must be eliminated.

35years

Gravy route
Yep, I will give you that.
On a route that averages 20 SPORH with a driver with good methods you should expect 15-25 SPORH average most days...Not all days.

But the way UPS tries to apply the time studies (manipulate drivers) is far different. Best demonstrated level becomes the minimum expected level.

35years

Gravy route
Unless the driver is observed deliberately wasting time or working at a totally unreasonable rate no disciplinary action should ensue.

I do think any drivers that make a habit of doing so should be terminated, but only if the behavior is repeatedly observed firsthand and not "speculated" based on flawed time studies.