Over Payment and Paycheck Deduction

I am a part-timer on the preload for the past 2.5 years, over the summer at my center the company put up bidsheets for a seasonal 22.3 position for preloaders, I got the job and got the raise included. When the position ended on 9/1/18 my pay rate should have gone back down to my PT rate, however it went up to the driver's starting rate for some reason.

I notified my full-time supervisor via text-message and verbally every week for the past 1.5 months since I noticed the huge over-payment. I am curious if the text message could be used as evidence of written notification required by Article 17, Paragraph 6 so I wouldn't be liable for anything after 5 working days of the written notification.

Thanks for the help.

If you got a raise, don't dispute it. UPS doesn't over-pay.
It wasn't a raise, instead of setting me back to part-time rate after my seasonal FT position ended they set me to the starting driver's rate. I notified them the way I did so I wouldn't end up owing them $5,000 one day out of the blue when they realized they were paying a preloader driver's rate.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I and this happen once and sort supervisor told me to write a letter, sign and date it.

Did the full-time supervisor respond or acknowledge your text? I would be sure to screenshot or email it to yourself for a backup copy.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I and this happen once and sort supervisor told me to write a letter, sign and date it.

Did the full-time supervisor respond or acknowledge your text? I would be sure to screenshot or email it to yourself for a backup copy.

This exactly.
Get documentation.

Also, if you're still worried about it, keep the funds, keep living as you would with the lower pay grade, and stick the difference into a money market account. That way you're covered no matter what.

Lucky break for you! :)

DeliveryMachine

If you notify them and have documentation of you notifying them, they have a time period to correct it. If they don’t correct it in that time window. You’re safe. I’m not sure how long the window is. Maybe a week or 2 but I’m guessing

SameRightsForAll

It wasn't a raise, instead of setting me back to part-time rate after my seasonal FT position ended they set me to the starting driver's rate. I notified them the way I did so I wouldn't end up owing them $5,000 one day out of the blue when they realized they were paying a preloader driver's rate.

They probably budgeted you in that way. Just take the pay rate and be ready to drive when they tell you to. You're likely to see about 6 pay codes on your check during peak, anyway.

UPSGOBROWN

UPSGobrown
You can stop by Hr and have them look at the pay check and your pay rate and verify it if you are worried about it. Just a suggestion

Last edited:
Idk how it is where you are, or if it’s any different? But an attorney told me that if you are overpaid it’s not your fault. Don’t let them ever bully you into sign anything to pay it back. If you’d want further information, pm me

I saw

I was shown email record from another supervisor that the same day he sent an inquiry to payroll to check why my payrate was 18.75 and not 12.00. We have communicated on that line before via text and it is the number we use to call in if we are sick. I have made back ups of the texts and multiple people know ive been telling the sups every week of the overpayment.

They probably budgeted you in that way. Just take the pay rate and be ready to drive when they tell you to. You're likely to see about 6 pay codes on your check during peak, anyway.

I am not old enough to drive the only reason i didnt do seasonal driving this year .

Idk how it is where you are, or if it’s any different? But an attorney told me that if you are overpaid it’s not your fault. Don’t let them ever bully you into sign anything to pay it back. If you’d want further information, pm me

The National Master says we can only be held accountable up until five days after written notification.

diallo185

I saw

I was shown email record from another supervisor that the same day he sent an inquiry to payroll to check why my payrate was 18.75 and not 12.00. We have communicated on that line before via text and it is the number we use to call in if we are sick. I have made back ups of the texts and multiple people know ive been telling the sups every week of the overpayment.

I am not old enough to drive the only reason i didnt do seasonal driving this year .

The National Master says we can only be held accountable up until five days after written notification.

You notified them take picture of it, they can go back 9months I think on pay. If they come back and say they want money back say you have financial hardship and you’ll give $5 a week back

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I’m not sure how long the window is. Maybe a week or 2 but I’m guessing

Best place to check, is in the supplemental agreements under

"Maintenance Of Standards."

The Central Region has a 90 day window.

"It is agreed that the provisions of this Section shall not apply to inadvertent or bona fide errors made by the Employer or the Union in applying the terms and conditions of this Agreement if such error is corrected within ninety (90) days from the date of error."

Others don't....

"It is agreed that the provisions of this Section shall not apply to inadvertent or bona fide errors made by the Employer or the Union in applying the terms and conditions of this Agreement."

But an attorney told me that if you are overpaid it’s not your fault.

That attorney would be wrong.

-Bug-

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I am a part-timer on the preload for the past 2.5 years, over the summer at my center the company put up bidsheets for a seasonal 22.3 position for preloaders, I got the job and got the raise included. When the position ended on 9/1/18 my pay rate should have gone back down to my PT rate, however it went up to the driver's starting rate for some reason.

I notified my full-time supervisor via text-message and verbally every week for the past 1.5 months since I noticed the huge over-payment. I am curious if the text message could be used as evidence of written notification required by Article 17, Paragraph 6 so I wouldn't be liable for anything after 5 working days of the written notification.

Thanks for the help.
don't really matter if you did, they will make you pay it back either way

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
don't really matter if you did, they will make you pay it back either way

Not necessarily true.

I had a case where a inside/inside 22.3 person was incorrectly coded as 22.2

The amount of over-payment was well above $5000.00.

The company was so embarrassed, they decided forgo restitution.

File a grievance.... and go from there.

-Bug-

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Not necessarily true.

I had a case where a inside/inside 22.3 person was incorrectly coded as 22.2

The amount of over-payment was well above $5000.00.

The company was so embarrassed, they decided forgo restitution.

File a grievance.... and go from there.

-Bug-
Ups usually does everything it can to get its money back and you know that. They fight you on everything on certain things

Best place to check, is in the supplemental agreements under

"Maintenance Of Standards."

The Central Region has a 90 day window.

"It is agreed that the provisions of this Section shall not apply to inadvertent or bona fide errors made by the Employer or the Union in applying the terms and conditions of this Agreement if such error is corrected within ninety (90) days from the date of error."

Others don't....

"It is agreed that the provisions of this Section shall not apply to inadvertent or bona fide errors made by the Employer or the Union in applying the terms and conditions of this Agreement."

That attorney would be wrong.

-Bug-
No he wasn’t. He ended up saving two guys $3200.

22.34life

A friend of mine received a retro check at the last CBA,he was a fulltime employee and was in progession at the and should not have received the retro check for the gwi.he did not follow my advice to follow article 17 and informed them by word of mouth a payroll inquiry was performed and he was told he was do the $$.company came back and took the overpayment back,he filed a grievance and lost at local level hearing.