Over Payment and Paycheck Deduction

22.34life

Best place to check, is in the supplemental agreements under

"Maintenance Of Standards."

The Central Region has a 90 day window.

"It is agreed that the provisions of this Section shall not apply to inadvertent or bona fide errors made by the Employer or the Union in applying the terms and conditions of this Agreement if such error is corrected within ninety (90) days from the date of error."

Others don't....

"It is agreed that the provisions of this Section shall not apply to inadvertent or bona fide errors made by the Employer or the Union in applying the terms and conditions of this Agreement."

That attorney would be wrong.

-Bug-
now this is correct advice for the op.

Not necessarily true.

I had a case where a inside/inside 22.3 person was incorrectly coded as 22.2

The amount of over-payment was well above $5000.00.

The company was so embarrassed, they decided forgo restitution.

File a grievance.... and go from there.

-Bug-
Thanks. I'll take this into account whenever they come around for it. Your comments were very helpful. Im central region I will definitely file a grievance when it comes around and just save up all my money from the coming OT.

thebrownbox

This happened for me they had my hour rate wrong something like $35 an hour.. it becomes a issue because I bitched about how come i did not get asked about my vacations picks and that’s when they found out.

It was something like almost $3k overpaid.. at first they wanted something like $80 a week I had them drop it to like $50 a week imho it’s not my fault they could not see the screw up on their end.. the union was not much help other to say that I had to pay it back.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
This happened for me they had my hour rate wrong something like $35 an hour.. it becomes a issue because I bitched about how come i did not get asked about my vacations picks and that’s when they found out.

It was something like almost $3k overpaid.. at first they wanted something like $80 a week I had them drop it to like $50 a week imho it’s not my fault they could not see the screw up on their end.. the union was not much help other to say that I had to pay it back.

So you knew you were being overpaid, to the tune of over $3K, and you were just keeping your mouth shut and keeping that money?

The word thief comes to mind for some reason.

iruhnman630

Some people bend over backwards to attempt keeping money that isn't owed to them.

Overpayment should immediately be brought to the attention of your management, and that money be kept separate from your other money.

If it is contractually determined that you are not responsible for repayment, then congratulations. Free, honest, and legitimate bonus money.

Otherwise, give it back without complaint.

Some people bend over backwards to attempt keeping money that isn't owed to them.

Overpayment should immediately be brought to the attention of your management, and that money be kept separate from your other money.

If it is contractually determined that you are not responsible for repayment, then congratulations. Free, honest, and legitimate bonus money.

Otherwise, give it back without complaint.

That's the plan. It's still sitting in my Savings, they haven't asked for it, I'm thinking they'll try to come after it when they calculate retro checks but we'll see. I gave them plenty of warnings about the error, I haven't lost any sleep.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's the plan. It's still sitting in my Savings, they haven't asked for it, I'm thinking they'll try to come after it when they calculate retro checks but we'll see. I gave them plenty of warnings about the error, I haven't lost any sleep.

You did your part. You informed them of the error.

If they do nothing to try and get it back, it's on them and free money for you.

SweatPit

i won't bite
Payroll is so screwed. I know of 3, 22.3's that got their 3 year progression pay ($20hr on current contract) at only 2 years. Union won't do anything about it and HR won't do anything about it. Not fair to the guys that had to wait a full 3 years to get that rate of pay like myself and others. They were supposed to go up to $17 an hour at their 2 year mark. One guy I know got top scale at 3 years but he ended up having to pay 3 months back in small increments.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
at least you are making some money of it with the interest

Upser0722

I’m in a similar situation about been top rate I’m in my 3 1/2 progression and they been me paying top rate since August I hit my 4 year progression this summer should I say anything or just keep shut ?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I’m in a similar situation about been top rate I’m in my 3 1/2 progression and they been me paying top rate since August I hit my 4 year progression this summer should I say anything or just keep shut ?

OK.

So you know that you're being overpaid, probably around $10K and counting, and you haven't said a word?

Again, the word thief comes to mind.

Do people really think that it is OK to steal from your employer just because it is UPS?

Rack em

Made the Podium
Payroll is so screwed. I know of 3, 22.3's that got their 3 year progression pay ($20hr on current contract) at only 2 years. Union won't do anything about it and HR won't do anything about it. Not fair to the guys that had to wait a full 3 years to get that rate of pay like myself and others. They were supposed to go up to $17 an hour at their 2 year mark. One guy I know got top scale at 3 years but he ended up having to pay 3 months back in small increments.
Your union brothers and sisters are making more money so why are you upset? If the company wants to pay them that rate then they can lol.

Mooseknuckle

Had this happen once with a coworker. Months in he went to HR and told them. They actually just fixed it without him having to pay it back. I was shocked. Told him since he came to them about it they would just let it slide. He thought they were going to fire him for dishonesty or take it back all at once and he couldn't pay his bills.

Upser0722

Well it’s hard to say because I went cover driver then was sent back because of a senority grievance then started air driving after got called again for cover driver and this happed to another driver that started at the same time as I did and he went top rate before me so my question is how does H.R make mistakes like this ?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well it’s hard to say because I went cover driver then was sent back because of a senority grievance t

Maybe HR is basing your progression on this date?

I don't know, but to keep $10K without even saying anything, knowing full well that you're being overpaid, is dishonest and is stealing.

Cardinal Offense disharge in the Central, and probably most other supplements.

my question is how does H.R make mistakes like this ?

Because those that can't make it as drivers become supervisors.

And those that can't make it as supervisors are sent to IE.

And those that can't make it in IE are sent to HR.

Bottom of the barrel.

SweatPit

i won't bite
Your union brothers and sisters are making more money so why are you upset? If the company wants to pay them that rate then they can lol.
Why wouldn't you be upset? Here is a scenario. Say you were at $16.75 an hour. You hit 2 year progression so you go up 25 cents an hour to the 2 year progression mark of $17.00 hr. A couple months later you find out there are co-workers who were at $16.75 an hour that just hit their 2 year progression and instead of being bumped up to the $17.00 an hour like they should of got. They go up to $20.00 an hour which is the 3 year progression raise AND have less seniority then you.

john chesney

It wasn't a raise, instead of setting me back to part-time rate after my seasonal FT position ended they set me to the starting driver's rate. I notified them the way I did so I wouldn't end up owing them $5,000 one day out of the blue when they realized they were paying a preloader driver's rate.
Don’t spend the money. I would wait till they find out if they ever do and fight it

Rack em

Made the Podium
Why wouldn't you be upset? Here is a scenario. Say you were at $16.75 an hour. You hit 2 year progression so you go up 25 cents an hour to the 2 year progression mark of $17.00 hr. A couple months later you find out there are co-workers who were at $16.75 an hour that just hit their 2 year progression and instead of being bumped up to the $17.00 an hour like they should of got. They go up to $20.00 an hour which is the 3 year progression raise AND have less seniority then you.
There are drivers under me who make more that I do an hour because they came from air driving. So a driver in his second year is making more than me and I don't care one bit. I know what I'M supposed to make per the contract and that's all I care about.

SweatPit

i won't bite
There are drivers under me who make more that I do an hour because they came from air driving. So a driver in his second year is making more than me and I don't care one bit. I know what I'M supposed to make per the contract and that's all I care about.
My previous comment still stands. Your scenario is completely different and unrelateable Glad you only care about yourself. Those air drivers been driving longer then you?