Over Payment and Paycheck Deduction

SweatPit

i won't bite
OK.

So you know that you're being overpaid, probably around $10K and counting, and you haven't said a word?

Again, the word thief comes to mind.

Do people really think that it is OK to steal from your employer just because it is UPS?
This.

Had this happen once with a coworker. Months in he went to HR and told them. They actually just fixed it without him having to pay it back. I was shocked. Told him since he came to them about it they would just let it slide. He thought they were going to fire him for dishonesty or take it back all at once and he couldn't pay his bills.
They are supposed to take up to 3 months of pay back. But can be taken back in small increments.

Maybe HR is basing your progression on this date?

I don't know, but to keep $10K without even saying anything, knowing full well that you're being overpaid, is dishonest and is stealing.

Cardinal Offense disharge in the Central, and probably most other supplements.

Because those that can't make it as drivers become supervisors.

And those that can't make it as supervisors are sent to IE.

And those that can't make it in IE are sent to HR.

Bottom of the barrel.
This.
There are drivers under me who make more that I do an hour because they came from air driving. So a driver in his second year is making more than me and I don't care one bit. I know what I'M supposed to make per the contract and that's all I care about.
So those air drivers have been driving longer then you? Are those air drivers getting more then they should per the contract?

Rack em

Made the Podium
This.

They are supposed to take up to 3 months of pay back. But can be taken back in small increments.

This.
So those air drivers have been driving longer then you? Are those air drivers getting more then they should per the contract?
They have been driving less then me by a few years. They went through air driver progression first so they get red circled while going through driver progression which doesn't bother me one bit.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Once it goes past 90 days they can't ask for it back. So just keep it aside in savings and once 90 days are up then you get to enjoy it :)

cachmeifucan

Don't tell anyone at work or bring it up again. If they do ask for it back it's only in small increments. I remember a bunch of people got overpaid. one lady paid off her car and paid ups back a no interest loan. Yeah It Was A Huge Overpayment

specter208

Hello guys. Was wondering how far back can you go to fix paychecks that were under payed, and can they be fixed if already cashed?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Article for that?

In 710:
Article 1, Section 3. Maintenance of Standards The Employer agrees that all conditions of employment in his individual operation relating to wages, hours of work, overtime differentials, and general working conditions shall be maintained at not less than the highest in effect at the time of the signing of this Agreement, and the conditions of employment shall be improved wherever specific provisions for improvement are made elsewhere in this Agreement. It is agreed that errors found at any time will be corrected immediately and over or under payments will only be adjusted for sixty (60) calendar days.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Hello guys. Was wondering how far back can you go to fix paychecks that were under payed, and can they be fixed if already cashed?
It’s all going to depend what supplement rider you fall under. The language varies greatly between areas. Fortunately or unfortunately beyond that the relationship that you have with your management team can make them work a little harder/faster with payroll to get that money for you. I’d suggest keeping a paper trail of your conversations/correspondence and keeping your steward in the loop. I’ve seen people get checks going back over five years for underpayments here. Usually the process involves having your pay rate fixed first. Once this is done payroll calculates how much back pay you’re owed. We had a bunch of members transition from package to feeders and there were tons of payroll screw ups. Members being in progression has made things even worse as far as calculating how much back pay is owed.

edit: cashing checks didn’t matter here

specter208

It’s all going to depend what supplement rider you fall under. The language varies greatly between areas. Fortunately or unfortunately beyond that the relationship that you have with your management team can make them work a little harder/faster with payroll to get that money for you. I’d suggest keeping a paper trail of your conversations/correspondence and keeping your steward in the loop. I’ve seen people get checks going back over five years for underpayments here. Usually the process involves having your pay rate fixed first. Once this is done payroll calculates how much back pay you’re owed. We had a bunch of members transition from package to feeders and there were tons of payroll screw ups. Members being in progression has made things even worse as far as calculating how much back pay is owed.

edit: cashing checks didn’t matter here
Thanks guys @BadIdeaGuy , @UpstateNYUPSer I’m in the western supplement, 186.

542thruNthru

specter208

How long ago were you shorted.

My BA told me that Article 17 has no limit for corrections but passed the time to file a grievance you may not be able to file for penalty.
About 1 month of checks. I’ve not been receiving the DT rate for 7th day punch. Others say they are still receiving Double for Monday work.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I am a part-timer on the preload for the past 2.5 years, over the summer at my center the company put up bidsheets for a seasonal 22.3 position for preloaders, I got the job and got the raise included. When the position ended on 9/1/18 my pay rate should have gone back down to my PT rate, however it went up to the driver's starting rate for some reason.

I notified my full-time supervisor via text-message and verbally every week for the past 1.5 months since I noticed the huge over-payment. I am curious if the text message could be used as evidence of written notification required by Article 17, Paragraph 6 so I wouldn't be liable for anything after 5 working days of the written notification.

Thanks for the help.

Notifying the company keeps them from claiming dishonesty on your part(the text) but it doesn't stop them from possibly taking back the money at some point. You should check your State Dept of Labor laws for that answer.