Overtime coming to an end?

Would you rather be dispatched over 9.5 most days or under 8.5 most days?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Driver

I drive.
That's a FedEx powerpad Star iV... soon to be upgraded to a Star V

1.gif

Mycow

Heavy or light dispatch don't matter I show up each day wanting my 8 knowing they have me for 14 hours. 40 or 60 doesn't matter. I don't mind doing 14s all week cause I'll get 3 day weekend But 8s all week means I'll deliver less then 400 boxes. Halfway to retirement

UPSER1987

Different people have different needs and preferences. They could please more people if they gave the OT to the people who want it, lighten up on those who don't, but apparently that's against policy.

But what about turds who can’t make up their mind? One week I gotta fix the AC and need 12 hours and the next week kid got practice and got to be off in 8. Can’t run a business like that...

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
But what about turds who can’t make up their mind? One week I gotta fix the AC and need 12 hours and the next week kid got practice and got to be off in 8. Can’t run a business like that...

You can, it simply takes a little bit of competence on management's part... Oh! You mean UPS can't run their business like that. That's true.

At least half of the problems at UPS would disappear if they hired and retained competent dispatchers. How much more efficiently do you think a center would run with a dispatcher that's been at that center twenty years? Instead, by the time the idiots they hire finally gain the slightest inkling of how to do the job (usually a year or two), they move on to a better gig. Then it goes from mostly terrible to an absolute nightmare when the new idiot comes in.

The Driver

I drive.
You can, it simply takes a little bit of competence on management's part... Oh! You mean UPS can't run their business like that. That's true.

At least half of the problems at UPS would disappear if they hired and retained competent dispatchers. How much more efficiently do you think a center would run with a dispatcher that's been at that center twenty years? Instead, by the time the idiots they hire finally gain the slightest inkling of how to do the job (usually a year or two), they move on to a better gig. Then it goes from mostly terrible to an absolute nightmare when the new idiot comes in.

our idiot has been here for years

UPSER1987

You might be able to do it for one driver, but what about the other hundred drivers?
Can you SUCCESSFULLY run your route when the conditions can daily? No you can’t and that must mean you are incompetent af.
Yours is one of the stupidest posts I’ve seen in a long time.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You might be able to do it for one driver, but what about the other hundred drivers?
Can you SUCCESSFULLY run your route when the conditions can daily? No you can’t and that must mean you are incompetent af.
Yours is one of the stupidest posts I’ve seen in a long time.

Until you wrote your response. Might want to work on making sense. The conditions/areas on my route do change (I assume that's the word you meant) daily, and I do get all the packages delivered or attempted successfully every day. That must mean I am competent af.

Does your center have a single dispatcher dispatching a hundred routes? Mine can't handle 40. And it isn't that hard, you just get a list of those who want longer days, and those who don't (like some sort of 9.5 list), and then when a guy wants to opt on or off of it, he coud do so with a week's notice. If only our contract had language covering this exact subject.

I'm sorry dispatching is so hard for you. Maybe they'll let you go back to pt preload sup.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member

My exact situation right now. I despise the new dispatcher person. And I like everybody for the most part.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My exact situation right now. I despise the new dispatcher person. And I like everybody for the most part.

Honestly, I don't blame the dispatcher. They can't help having such low IQ's, plus, they get zero training or support from UPS. As far as I can tell they aren't paid well enough, and every driver is pretty much angry with them all the time.

I get dumped on because my loop mates scream at the dispatcher until he gives them the only decent resi's from my route and give me their crap (and they still aren't happy). I won't degrade myself enough to act like that, so I only point out the problem when my sup implies that I am not being productive enough.

Not that I care about their numbers, but if they are going to hassle me about it, they might as well understand that they are the problem.

Over70irregs

It’s called an add/cut...... plus now there are 22.4’s whose purpose is to be the flex crew.