Owed Vacation pay after retirement

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Our BA says they have to file a grievance for any time off owed. The company will not volunteer that money.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Well UPS just had too jerk u around just one more time for old times sake. Enjoy your retirement.
That is what it felt like to me. For years all my checks and vacation checks was direct deposited and yet this check was delayed and mailed to the center for me to go pick up 😏

Darmark7

With all respect, you asked this question to the folks that administered your retirement? and the answer was? If none, you left it to chance? You will get smart ass remarks from the same folks regardless. Some justified, some just mean and hateful. Now about your situation. I asked the same question. Never got a straight answer. I know folks who take all their vacations at the start of the year, then retire and get their first check. Lot of ways to do this and the reasons very from helpful to spiteful( like they are sticking it to the company one last time). Shrug. It seems you should be paid in full the day you "retire". But could see it deferred till vacations are paid off in Jan. some time for current employees.
Yes I did ask the question how and when I would get my check. The reply was you will get the check right after your retirement date. At that point you think To yourself (1) right after is the following week... wrong (2) you think the check will come the same way it has for the past decades.... wrong! So all the people that ask.. Well didn’t you ask this or that question before you retired? You do not think to ask every detail of every question that you never would realize you would have to ask. After going through this retirement process I’m just glad I’m on the other side and will never have to step foot inside UPS again.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They cut my final vacation check three weeks ago and I still haven't got it yet. I went by my Center yesterday for the second time and nobody could locate it, all my management team was out of the building. They knew I was looking for it but haven't bothered to call. It's over 10k gross and is a live check in a NDA envelope somewhere. It seems like they would mail it to my house instead of my old Center. They still like to screw with me. The code to get my retirement gift from the catalog was missing out of the retirement award box too.

They cut my final vacation check three weeks ago and I still haven't got it yet. I went by my Center yesterday for the second time and nobody could locate it, all my management team was out of the building. They knew I was looking for it but haven't bothered to call. It's over 10k gross and is a live check in a NDA envelope somewhere. It seems like they would mail it to my house instead of my old Center. They still like to screw with me. The code to get my retirement gift from the catalog was missing out of the retirement award box too.
Do you think it's a little bit of a payback for retiring before peak?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Do you think it's a little bit of a payback for retiring before peak?
Could be, that's what I'm thinking. My Center Manager seemed to avoid me like the plague after I told him the retirement date I picked. I left exactly to the day 45 years after I started, I didn't even finish up the last week. He was supposed to retire himself after the last Peak but is finishing this one to get an extra $450 a month on his own pension.

Could be, that's what I'm thinking. My Center Manager seemed to avoid me like the plague after I told him the retirement date I picked. I left exactly to the day 45 years after I started, I didn't even finish up the last week. He was supposed to retire himself after the last Peak but is finishing this one to get an extra $450 a month on his own pension.
I wouldn't put anything past them. Maybe you might have to call the department of labor and that might get the ball rolling

oldngray

nowhere special
The only time my center manager talked to anybody was when he called them into his office to yell at them. He wouldn't be seen at any other time and never talked to drivers like a normal person. I left it to HR to inform him. I didn't care if he got suddenly short handed before peak.

Darmark7

Retirement award box ?😂. I let them keep those trinkets. When I retired I told them I didn’t want any recognition and don’t even mention I’m leaving. The guys around me and who I wanted to know I told them I was leaving. Hell there are probably drivers still looking for me 😂. When I left UPS I left UPS! all I want to remember that place by is my monthly pension check! 💰

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They actually have some decent awards, I grabbed the Ninja air fryer/ indoor grill and I've gotten more use out of it than anything else I ever got from UPS.

Shiftless

I'm coming up on 16 years of retirement. I only once stopped by the building that I worked at (Out Lying center, no fences, no guards, had my own key to the building) to pass along a message to someone for someone and the employee was off that day. Made my day! Didn't even have to get off my motorcycle, just asked "hey is someone here?" NOPE at the Dentist! Twisted the wrist, let the clutch out and my duty was over! Never seen that place again!

I cant tell you how much I did not want to set foot on that property let alone talk to people at that building, I had already been retired some 5 years prior and never deliberately setting foot around that place was fine by me!

Don't get me wrong! I still communicate with employee's I worked with there! I worked the so called Golden Years of paper on clipboards and tachograph cards in the tachometer was fine by me! Then came the IVIS thingy, Thankfully we still had a payroll clerk who could monitor and correct the ALWAYS messed up file transfers from an out lying center!!!

Yes they were Out Lying!

old levi's

blank space
My retirement date was 11/15/2020. Does anyone know how long it takes until I get paid for Vacation time I have accrued this year for next year?
On aside note for all who are getting ready to retire. The most true statement I heard during my preparation for retirement was “You will think you are the first person to ever retire from UPS” The information, disinformation and no information is mind numbing.
I received my accrued vacation pay 1 week after my retirement date, but there were 6 weeks of actual vacation between my final work day and my retirement day.

old levi's

blank space

Jerks.
Relish the knowledge that while you are enjoying the Christmas season, they are humping cardboard.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I finally got it yesterday. Taxes took a third like I thought and no 2021 Option Days.
fullsizeoutput_1730.jpeg

Shiftless

I finally got it yesterday. Taxes took a third like I thought and no 2021 Option Days.View attachment 320511
Been almost 16 years ago seen I seen anything like that!

Times flying!

Just rolled the sidecar rig out. Gonna go for a ride since I have nothing better to do than keep wearing out the rubbers underneath me and inhale fresh air with just the simple twist of the wrist! Only gonna be 82 today!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You can buy the next round..
It's a nice parting gift is the way I look at it. Here, you have to work 156 reports from January 1 to get next year's vacation pay. So about the second week of August was one of my first picks on a retirement date. Then I realized I could work two more months to actually finish 45 years. Then I got out before the time change and getting loaded up with stops to start a Helper. This year, they pull a TP-60 and parked it on my old area for PVDs to work out of. I don't miss any of that garbage at all.

It's a nice parting gift is the way I look at it. Here, you have to work 156 reports from January 1 to get next year's vacation pay. So about the second week of August was one of my first picks on a retirement date. Then I realized I could work two more months to actually finish 45 years. Then I got out before the time change and getting loaded up with stops to start a Helper. This year, they pull a TP-60 and parked it on my old area for PVDs to work out of. I don't miss any of that garbage at all.
You definitely got out at the right time buddy

Re-Raise

I told them I was retiring 11/24 and walked out after 34 3/4 yrs

I signed a resignation letter that day, but for some reason they coded me as called in sick 11/25 and scheduled off 11/26. Maybe they thought I might change my mind over the weekend? The plus side of that is they paid me for the two Thanksgiving holidays👍

I have all of the paperwork done now for the Teamster pension and the part-time UPS pension and even received my first month’s Teamster check already.

My only unfinished business is getting the payout from my 2020 accrued vacation time that I would have been paid in 2021.

I was told that the 156 punches for full credit was from my seniority date. Is that from my part-time seniority date or my full-time seniority date? My steward told me that if I don’t hit that number they prorate it and he even read me the contract language on the percentages.

Do I need to file a grievance to get this money?