P/T sup to Driver

mercury7

If you went full time management, a degree would help you tremendously. If you don't have a degree, you will be stuck in operations your whole life.

If they are requiring a degree to go driving, that pretty much tells you they have shot down any idea of you becoming a driver.
My original question was PT sup to driver requirements

UPSGUY72

There are no requirements that you can fulfill that will increase your chances of becoming a FT union driver except the ability to kiss your you management ass every chance you get. They promote 6 PT union employees to drivers and than they hire one off the street (this off the street hire could be the most likely a casual that has been working for UPS for a while, a PT SUP or these days the rare right of the street hire..

However your will need to meet the same requirements that a PT union employee has to meet. Which are no moving violations in the last year no more than 2 moving violations in the last 3 years and no DWI/ OUI or reckless driving / driving to endanger in the last 5 years.

You can be dumb as a box of rocks as long as you can drive a stick, remember the DOK and follow instruction and become a driver.

As other have said you better have put a with drawl care in with the union if you started out as a PT union employee before you became a PT SUP or you going to owe back dues from the last date you paid them. Of course that is if you even get a FT drivers position and make your 30 days....

mercury7

The centers and HR are for the sup going to driving. It's the hub that's saying the sup can't go drive without the degree.

UPSGUY72

The centers and HR are for the sup going to driving. It's the hub that's saying the sup can't go drive without the degree.

What are you talking about... Can't you read there are not educational requirements to become a driver.... It's apparent you have been a PT Sup to long and believe everything your SUP tells you... or you just weren't listen when when they were talking to you and didn't hear that they were talking about another management position and not a UNION driver position.

oldngray

nowhere special
What are you talking about... Can't you read there are not educational requirements to become a driver.... It's apparent you have been a PT Sup to long and believe everything your SUP tells you... or you just weren't listen when when they were talking to you and didn't hear that they were talking about another management position and not a UNION driver position.

He sounds like good management material.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Your question was answered many posts ago.

ef0109b505b94a349083a04c9cda4ea0.gif

Please continue enjoying hub supervision !

mercury7

I'm not asking the question for myself. The hub mngmt keeps coming up with BS to keep pt sups from moving. If you have nothing useful or intelligent to comment go somewhere else

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Bottom line: There are only three ways you can become a permanent driver as a sup.
1) Get them to use their 1:6 ratio hire on you (very rare) especially since they don't want to lose a sup.
2) Quit, get hired part time and put in your time waiting.
3) Take a full time sup job. You'll be required to go driving for a while to be a full time sup. After obtaining your 30 days, they have to allow you to stay a driver if you want. (This really pisses them off).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Bottom line: There are only three ways you can become a permanent driver as a sup.
1) Get them to use their 1:6 ratio hire on you (very rare) especially since they don't want to lose a sup.
2) Quit, get hired part time and put in your time waiting.
3) Take a full time sup job. You'll be required to go driving for a while to be a full time sup. After obtaining your 30 days, they have to allow you to stay a driver if you want. (This really pisses them off).
Not so sure #3 applies anymore. At least not everywhere. Our last few driver sups were never everyday drivers.

UPSGUY72

I'm not asking the question for myself. The hub mngmt keeps coming up with BS to keep pt sups from moving. If you have nothing useful or intelligent to comment go somewhere else

What the hell are you talking about PT SUP's have no rights to a FT union driver position (this includes you). So your theory of management is coming up with this BS to KEEP PT SUP's from moving into a FT union Driver position isn't true since you can't move a FT drivers position by seniority or by singing a list to go FT driving like PT union employees do. There is no list for you to sign never was and never will be you are management not union but still haven't grasp that concept yet.

You really need to get off of what ever you are on and / or take your head out of your A-- and understand the facts.

The problem for you started when they first ask you to become a PT Sup and probably sold you a bunch of BS that you could become a FT union driver quicker by first becoming a PT SUP. You should have asked yourself than why isn't everyone else doing it ??? Now your a PT SUP and the only way for you to become a FT driver is if your management team will let you . there are no education requirements...

You need to realize that you have no rights to any driver position be it PT or FT. No matter if you have been a PT Sup for 10 or 20 years you still will have no rights to driving position....

RhinoGTO

I was a PT sup for 4 years before driving. I've been driving for 10 years now and never looked back.

One thing that helped me get a FT driving position was telling management that I wanted to move up into upper management and that driving would be a good experience for me. I went seasonal driving 4 times within 3 buildings and once a permanent spot became available, 6-1 ratio as said before. I jumped all over it.

I did not have pay any back union dues.

-They do hold you to a higher standard.
-I wouldn't recommend quitting and trying to start over as a union employee. UPS will not rehire Management as a union employee. And you would also have to get rehire status, which could be tricky.
- And the signing up for full time sup position is no good either. They do NOT require you to go driving.

Bottom line is you are at the mercy of your current managment. If they don't want to lose you, your not going anywhere. As stated above, once you go management you lose the right to go driving. But it is still very possible.

I was always told that driving was done on merit. I was the crappiest pt sup ever. It took 5 years and I quit twice. At the time you needed to put in a letter of interest and as others have stated there is a 6 to 1 ratio. (Not sure if that is 6 attempts or 6 filled spots). But you are also competing with a transfer or peak hire for that one spot.