P57's?

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
So today during PCM our sup informed us that our centre was on the list to receive some new P57's in the near future. I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen such an animal or, better yet, had a photo or a link to a photo. Any information you guys could provide will be greatly appreciated.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
There have been pictures of the Sprinter style P-57's on the Cafe but can't remember who posted them. I have only driven the Freightliner P-57's and they are one sweet ride if that is possible. If you get one, use the reverse phsychology slant when other drivers ask you about it, tell them that's another mistake or whatever works for you.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Cementups.....I thought you said the trash can was already knocked over before you got there. Are you changing your story now ????:lol:

S

soonerups

the p-57's are a sweet ride but they have major dust problems with them at our center we just had a rep from the manufacture come down and try to fix the problem.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Sprinter-style eh? Well, that sucks. I'm 6'4" and I doubt if that would work for me. We have a P47 sprinter here that we affectionately call "the clown car". Drove it once and had to fold myself in and out of the damned thing.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
There are 2 different versions of p-57's. The Sprinter version if a sweet little ride. The workhorse version is the biggest piece of junk on the American rodes. We have 5 of these lovelies. We have yet to have 1 make a full week of deliveries without road calling form something, The wiring harness rubs on top of the radiator support cutting wires, brake line have rubbed through against lower radiator hose clamps, heater hoses have rubbed through against the body, we have one that has a starting problem that spends weeks at the dealer to come back to road call for same issue a day later.
If you get one of these, get a wagon and put in the car with you, you'll have better luck and a shorter day using it.

satellitedriver

I was just talking to the swing driver covering my route about the P57.
Only one has come to the center. He said it looked like a P7, only smaller and did not have dual rear wheels. He said they get stuck very easily. He got stuck on a paved driveway that was covered in pine straw.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have 25-30 P57's at my building, we have pretty much mothballed all the old 500's (and good riddance!), though I'm sure we will use some at peak.

The Workhorse version has a gas engine and dual real wheels, the Freightliner (which I drive) is a diesel with single rear wheels. The Workhorse sits a little lower to the ground and is a little quicker. They both have a little bit more cargo area than the old 500's. The previous poster who mentioned the dust problem is dead on (both versions), it's bad enough that I wrote it up in the comment section of the ERI. Other than that it is a HUGE improvement, there really is no comparison between running a 200(my daily average) mile country route in a P57 and an old 500. One driver in my group said it was like driving around in your own car.

Bottom line , you will like them :wink:

After reading the responses here, I am absolutely confused by the package car designations. In our building, we have 2 Sprinter versions... One looks like a long, tall van and the other has a box on the back end. Both are absolutley miserable in the summer due to the poor airflow through the cab. As I stated a another thread a while back, I'd rather drive a p500 with 500,000 miles on it than one of those Sprinters in the summer. The winter, however, is a different story. Warm is good.... We also have what I thought was a new P7 with single rear wheels. Which one of these ( if any ) is the p57? Maybe I'll just ask one of the mechanics for the rundown tomorrow.... :thumbup1:

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
They junked all the sprinters in my center and brought in a buttload of the new P57's. All Workhorses. Haven't heard anything bad about them yet. I've driven one a couple times and the one thing I really liked about it was the ULTRA TIGHT turning radius. Damn thing almost pivots.

VTBrown

The Skinny long Sprinter is the P47 the dual rear wheel Box Car Sprinter is the P57.

If you guys have not figured it out yet. It's in terms of cubic feet for the UPS names.

P500 = 500
P57 = 570
P1000 = 1000
Etc

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The Skinny long Sprinter is the P47 the dual rear wheel Box Car Sprinter is the P57.

We have a few of those box car sprinters around, but the P57's I'm referring to (Workhorse and Freightliner) are regular package cars. They look like miniature P700's.

code5

I have a bulk route and my P700 isn't big enough. I'm pretty much over 300 peices a day. I love the P700, I call it the limousine of package cars.

Anyway, like the dirty savage said, our sup said we may get some P57 but no longer make cars bigger than the 700's. Sounds fishy!

I see our competition with P1000 all the time.

GRACEDOG

Hey everyone, first reply here I just got the Workhorse version P57. I noticed there are a few diferent kinds. The one I have has a V6 Turbo diesel engine and dual rear wheels. I love it so far. Some of these threads have me a little nervous. I got with only 244 miles and in 2 days it now has 869. I have no major complaints yet, though the dust I can see. It practically flies on the highway and turns on a dime. Anyone with this style let me know what to expect.

Griff

I have a bulk route and my P700 isn't big enough. I'm pretty much over 300 peices a day. I love the P700, I call it the limousine of package cars.

Anyway, like the dirty savage said, our sup said we may get some P57 but no longer make cars bigger than the 700's. Sounds fishy!

I see our competition with P1000 all the time.

Isn't that the truth, I love P700's also. Only thing I hate is the swing-open doors at docks, gets really annoying sometimes.

Your sup is obviously on crack, any new truck we get into our building is a P1000-1200. Numbering system is a bit whacky, P1000's are 140000 and P1200 are 130000. The 1000's are all freightliners, dont know about the 1200's.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
I remember when our centre got a couple of brand-new P7's. The route I was doing at the time was assigned one and all was going well until I blew the transmission on the first day!

But back to the P57's . . . yeah, when our sup told us we might be getting a couple I was pretty stoked as I do a downtown route in a P5 and I would pretty much give anything to have a vehicle with power steering. Don't mind driving a standard at all - in fact, I prefer standard transmission - but trying to park those crap-boxes on congested downtown streets gets to be a bit much after a while. Especially by Friday when you're worn-out and weary from a weak of getting annihilated. Personally I think a P32 would be perfect for my route. Unfortunately I cannot stand up straight in the back so that's out.

Good times!