Package car drivers who give out dog treats

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, there is nothing safe about that whole scenario.

I respectfully disagree.

I deliver out in the country. Long unlit driveways out in the woods, multiple dogs running loose.

I dont want dogs running circles around or under the car while I am trying to get turned around. Too many blind spots, too many variables that I cant control. When I see them coming I stop the car. At that point I either toss a biscuit out the door so they have something to occupy them and anchor them to one spot while I back up...or I let them jump into the cab with me. It is physically impossible to run over a dog that is inside the cab of the truck.

over9five

Staff member
...... I just give em a cookie and hold on to their collar while I finish driving up to the house and/or backing up.
Holy Crap, that's a hell of a "in cab distraction". Feeding a dog and holding onto its collar WHILE backing up.
You're taking great care of the dog, but you just ran over the children!!!!:funny:

soberups

Does this look like a dog that would find a "no biscuit" policy acceptable?

Biscuit.jpg

BrownArmy

As a cover driver, I sure wish other drivers wouldn't give dogs treats...(in my center we've also had PCM's about not giving treats to dogs...)

Sometimes, at a stop, I'm not sure whether the dog wants to eat me, or if he's expecting his 'treat'.

I'm often asked to cover routes I have no idea about (I don't care, I can read a map, I don't mind the overtime).

It gets tiresome when dogs expecting treats are hanging around my front/back tires etc. when I'm pulling up/ pulling away.

"Oh, the regular driver gives buffy treats, that's why he's eating your pockets and both your hands and putting his snout right up your :censored2: crack..."

Awesome.

OK, buffy, you didn't get the treat, but can you please stop sniffing around the rear dualies, I have other places to be, and I'm not trying to run you over...

Holy Crap, that's a hell of a "in cab distraction". Feeding a dog and holding onto its collar WHILE backing up.
You're taking great care of the dog, but you just ran over the children!!!!:funny:
Come on I do the same thing it's country it's just different. If you've ever delivered country you'll know two things. The people who live out there have guns and dogs. Some of these people aren't to nice or friendly and there dogs can be the same. Give the dog a treat and you can make a relationship with the dog and it's in your best interest. The people see you get along with their dog and you give treats and this builds something. Giving dogs treats and them getting a ride isn't going to cause you to run over a child and no matter how much you try to limit in cab distractions lets face it they at ther all day every day. We are the most skilled and safe drivers in the industry.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I used to give treats, until I almost ran them over. I don't get reimbursed for buying them, my cover guys aren't obligated to give them, and my customers show as much appreciation now then when I gave them out...almost none! It wasn't until I found customers running down the road while walking their dogs to find me so I could give the dog a treat, and I did even have a package for them! I am a dog person and I'll give Fido a good scratch behind the ear and he is just as happy, and it doesn't cost me a dime.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Nope. Never...and I love dogs. You know...some owners would probably freak out if you were giving them treats. Some dogs are on special diets or no filler diets. You are conditioning the dog whenever you offer treats. If there's a nice dog, then yay! I'll deliver their package. If there's an aggressive dog, then not only will I pull my phone out and take video of the aggressive dog I won't deliver their package. My job is to be safe. If the customer isn't going to handle their pets responsibly, I'm not putting my safety on the line for their jackassery. I will non deliver, other, aggressive dog. Then I'll keep the video for some cover my arse protection if they get uppity. Most of the time the dogs are nice though and I'll love them and scratch their ears. Plus, I do believe it's against company policy to give out dog treats.

soberups

As far as the cover drivers on my route go....when I recently went on a 4 week vacation, I left two 5lb. bags of dog treats in the truck for whoever filled in for me to use.

When I got back, there were only a few crumbs left in one of the bags, and someone had apparently brought a ziploc baggie full of treats from home. Looks like I need to leave 3 bags instead of just 2 in the future.

It has always been pretty obvious to me just by looking at a dog whether or not I am going to have a problem with it. I have yet to ever be attacked by a dog that came running out to the truck and stood by the door. When I enter a customers property, I want the dog(s) to come running out. I want to see them before I exit the vehicle. Its the ones that hide and sneak up on you...or the ones that are inside and fight their way out thru the door past the owner that are the problem dogs.

A dog that jumps into the cab for a biscuit isnt going to bite me. A dog that jumps up on me or slobbers all over me or sticks his nose into my hands or my pockets isn't going to bite me. A dog that stands there by the side door obviously awaiting a treat isnt going to bite me.

If the "cost" of not getting chewed up is $10 worth of biscuits and having to wipe some slobber off of my hands every once in awhile, then its a cost I am glad to pay.

In 25 years of doing this job I have never been bitten and I have never run over a dog, so I must be doing something right.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I don't think it's worth it. Period. It's alright if you do. But if a customer complains about it...and it's in the policy book to not to...guess who's arse it is.

over9five

Staff member
Lol, I can hear my boss now if I was to explain why I hit something in someones yard.....

"You see Boss, I was feeding this dog that was in my cab with one hand and holding his collar with the other. I was backing, steering with my knee when I hit the house...."

I think he'd find something I did wrong!

Buck Fifty

As far as the cover drivers on my route go....when I recently went on a 4 week vacation, I left two 5lb. bags of dog treats in the truck for whoever filled in for me to use.

When I got back, there were only a few crumbs left in one of the bags, and someone had apparently brought a ziploc baggie full of treats from home. Looks like I need to leave 3 bags instead of just 2 in the future.

It has always been pretty obvious to me just by looking at a dog whether or not I am going to have a problem with it. I have yet to ever be attacked by a dog that came running out to the truck and stood by the door. When I enter a customers property, I want the dog(s) to come running out. I want to see them before I exit the vehicle. Its the ones that hide and sneak up on you...or the ones that are inside and fight their way out thru the door past the owner that are the problem dogs.

A dog that jumps into the cab for a biscuit isnt going to bite me. A dog that jumps up on me or slobbers all over me or sticks his nose into my hands or my pockets isn't going to bite me. A dog that stands there by the side door obviously awaiting a treat isnt going to bite me.

If the "cost" of not getting chewed up is $10 worth of biscuits and having to wipe some slobber off of my hands every once in awhile, then its a cost I am glad to pay.

In 25 years of doing this job I have never been bitten and I have never run over a dog, so I must be doing something right.

Just got back from Sam's, I should have some wood you can knock on here in a few minutes ! just saying.:pet:

soberups

I don't think it's worth it. Period. It's alright if you do. But if a customer complains about it...and it's in the policy book to not to...guess who's arse it is.

Its my arse, and they can kiss it.

I see nothing in the contract that forbids dog treats. I have never been instructed not to give dog treats. Hell, on my last OJS, my sup was handing out my treats to the dogs while I walked the stops off. He had to hold the treat cup in his lap all day because both cup holders were full with our water bottles.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

I see nothing in the contract that forbids dog treats. I have never been instructed not to give dog treats. Hell, on my last OJS, my sup was handing out my treats to the dogs while I walked the stops off. He had to hold the treat cup in his lap all day because both cup holders were full with our water bottles.
You know as I do that what sups do and what they say are two different things. As long as it works for you and you've not been instructed to stop, I feel you could do as you please. I personally don't for the reasons I've already given.

jaker

trolling
I give out treats to the dogs I like , when you have your own route you know the good dogs and the bad ones , I don't use treats as a distraction either

The other thing see from reading this thread is you got city guys and country guys , I am a country guy and dogs come with the area and learning them can help you out along the day

menotyou

bella amicizia

The last route I was trained on, the on-car saw with his own eyes how easily a cookie can turn a 'squirly' dog(his words) into a big ol' lovebug. I had one guy (saudi contractor home for the first time since I started delivering) come out with the dog to see why the dog was going nuts when I pulled in. While I was unloading from the back, the dog went in the side and helped herself from the big box of Milkbones(she really liked getting the cookie herself). The guy was just amazed. He never saw the dog so 'happy' to see someone. Don't you think that he went back to saudi and talked about the cookie story with his buddies? That promotes good will for UPS.