Package DOT Hours of Service

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The 11hrs of driving rule applies to everyone with a DOT card.

No it doesn't.

It applies to anyone that drives a CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle). While anyone who drives a CMV is required to have a DOT card, not everyone with a DOT card drives a CMV.

UPS requires all drivers to have a DOT card, but not all vehicles in their fleet are a CMV.

If you drive a package car under 10,001 lbs GVWR, P500 and P600 I believe, plus the Sprinters and Econolines, you are not subject to the DOT HOS rules.

budlight

hey friend* face
The 11hrs of driving rule applies to everyone with a DOT card. It applies to Package Car Drivers, but it only counts against the time you are actually driving not working. A package car driver will never get 11 hrs of driving due to all that pesky delivering of packages you have to do. I’m a Feeder Driver and only the time I’m driving counts toward my 11, if I’m making a pickup, hooking up, or shifting in the yard, it does not count against my 11hrs of drive time. Yes, it does. If you shift for the first 6 hours of your job, your drive time will be 8 hours available. You can watch the minutes count down on your IVIS after your 3 extra hours are used up. Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The guy I quoted is a feeder driver, please try to keep up.

You didn't quote him very well. You quoted him inside his quote.

You are also incorrect on what you said.

Since the following was not part of his original quote, I'm assuming you added this.

Yes, it does. If you shift for the first 6 hours of your job, your drive time will be 8 hours available. You can watch the minutes count down on your IVIS after your 3 extra hours are used up.

You seem to be saying that his shift time does count toward his drive time and that he has a total of 14 hours drive time available.

I'm lost.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You didn't quote him very well. You quoted him inside his quote.

You are also incorrect on what you said.

Since the following was not part of his original quote, I'm assuming you added this.

Yes, it does. If you shift for the first 6 hours of your job, your drive time will be 8 hours available. You can watch the minutes count down on your IVIS after your 3 extra hours are used up.

You seem to be saying that his shift time does count toward his drive time and that he has a total of 14 hours drive time available.

I'm lost.
I read it as saying that after 6 hours on duty(not driving) you have will have 8 hours of drive time available, which is technically correct.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I read it as saying that after 6 hours on duty(not driving) you have will have 8 hours of drive time available, which is technically correct.

Yea, I read it wrong, sorry @budlight.

If he has already worked 6 hours, he only has 8 left for his 14, which could be all drive time. So yes, he has 8 hours drive time available.

The problem is that @EasyTrucker is wrong about pickups not counting toward drive time. He is correct about shifting and hooking sets.

Last edited:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I'm not saying he isn't correct for feeders but the post he quoted said package car are restricted to 11 hours driving which is not a requirement that needs to be met with the air exception rules our non-CDL drivers are under.

The original post in this topic was asked by a package car driver.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
If you drive a package car under 10,001 lbs GVWR, P500 and P600 I believe, plus the Sprinters and Econolines, you are not subject to the DOT HOS rules.

Except for the 10 hour rest before the next day you're on the drivers seat, yas?

MAKAVELI

No.

Not subject to any part of the HOS rules if you do not drive a CMV.
Yeah im not so sure about that. FedEx has designated DOT and non DOT drivers. If we are DOT, regardless of what we drive we have to follow the 10 hour break between shifts, the 14 hour rule, 34 hour reset and the 60/70 rule.