Package DOT Hours of Service

542thruNthru

Yeah im not so sure about that. FedEx has designated DOT and non DOT drivers. If we are DOT, regardless of what we drive we have to follow the 10 hour break between shifts, the 14 hour rule, 34 hour reset and the 60/70 rule.

Your company probably does that to make it simple for idiot managers so they don't screw up. Ours does that for other things.

542thruNthru

So, your rural routes in 500s or 600s don't follow DOT HOS?

I do not have any rural routes but every driver in my building has a DOT card. Even air drivers that drive a mini van. They all have to follow DOT HOS.

What I was say was maybe your company like mine takes no chances when they have a DOT card.

I've been off my game today so maybe I'm also misunderstand what we are talking about. :)

MAKAVELI

I do not have any rural routes but every driver in my building has a DOT card. Even air drivers that drive a mini van. They all have to follow DOT HOS.

What I was say was maybe your company like mine takes no chances when they have a DOT card.

I've been off my game today so maybe I'm also misunderstand what we are talking about. :)
That could be the reason. But if they don't want to take no chances, there must be a reason. Maybe both companies didn't get a definitive decision from the DOT on the rule.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That could be the reason. But if they don't want to take no chances, there must be a reason. Maybe both companies didn't get a definitive decision from the DOT on the rule.

Yes they did.

According to the DOT, any vehicle under 10,001 lbs is not considered a commercial motor vehicle and the driver is not subject to any hours of service rules.

It makes no difference that you may have a DOT card.

You don't need a DOT card if you're not driving a CMV. The DOT only regulates CMV's..

The deciding factor on whether you're subject to the DOT HOS is not whether you have a DOT card or not, it is whether you drive a CMV or not.

How do I determine whether I am subject to FMCSA's safety regulations?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
UPS makes everybody comply with HOS because they cannot guarantee what vehicle you may have to drive.

What if you're an air driver that normally doesn't drive a CMV and therefore not subject to DOT HOS.

You come into work and your vehicle is gone or red tagged.

The only thing there is a P700.

You can't drive that unless you had 10 hours off.

Make everyone comply and then there are no issues.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

UPS makes everybody comply with HOS because they cannot guarantee what vehicle you may have to drive.

What if you're an air driver that normally doesn't drive a CMV and therefore not subject to DOT HOS.

You come into work and your vehicle is gone or red tagged.

The only thing there is a P700.

You can't drive that unless you had 10 hours off.

Make everyone comply and then there are no issues.
Which is exactly why FedEx has DOT drivers and non DOT drivers. I'm not arguing that you are wrong but only stating as far as both companies are concerned if you have a DOT card you are to comply to HOS regardless of what vehicle you are driving.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Which is exactly why FedEx has DOT drivers and non DOT drivers. I'm not arguing that you are wrong but only stating as far as both companies are concerned if you have a DOT card you are to comply to HOS regardless of what vehicle you are driving.

That is Company policy only.

We have air drivers violating this Company policy all the time, per the Company.

The DOT doesn't care.

But, let a CMV driver, who is governed by the DOT violate, there will be a huge fine.

MAKAVELI

That is Company policy only.

We have air drivers violating this Company policy all the time, per the Company.

The DOT doesn't care.

But, let a CMV driver, who is governed by the DOT violate, there will be a huge fine.
Well that is on the driver. Company can not discipline for not violating company policy.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well that is on the driver. Company can not discipline for not violating company policy.

Well, if the Company asks you to, then it's hard for them to discipline you, isn't it?

But let's backtrack. The reason I chimed in here was because I got the impression that a few people thought that just because you had a DOT card, that by law, you were bound by the DOT HOS, including you...

Maybe both companies didn't get a definitive decision from the DOT on the rule.

Is it the law that you have to follow the HOS rules if you don't drive a CMV, even if you have a DOT card? Nope.

Can your Company make you follow the HOS rules? Yep.

MAKAVELI

Well, if the Company asks you to, then it's hard for them to discipline you, isn't it?

But let's backtrack. The reason I chimed in here was because I got the impression that a few people thought that just because you had a DOT card, that by law, you were bound by the DOT HOS, including you...

Is it the law that you have to follow the HOS rules if you don't drive a CMV, even if you have a DOT card? Nope.

If your company makes you follow HOS regardless, it really doesn't matter if legally you have to or not.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The reason I chimed in here was because I got the impression that a few people thought that just because you had a DOT card, that by law, you were bound by the DOT HOS, including you...

One of my Locals stewards knows a DOT compliance officer.

He told him if pkg car drivers were bound by DOT hours of service, they would be sitting

outside of the gate every morning pulling drivers over.

What'dyabringmetoday???

One of my Locals stewards knows a DOT compliance officer.

He told him if pkg car drivers were bound by DOT hours of service, they would be sitting

outside of the gate every morning pulling drivers over.
Perhaps you should have mentioned this....to those high up negotiators that you know. Why would the 70 hour language even be addressed....if the rules don't apply to package "car" drivers? Maybe the 70 hour language....is just arbitrary and has no connection to the DOT 70 hour rule. Lol.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Perhaps you should have mentioned this....to those high up negotiators that you know. Why would the 70 hour language even be addressed....if the rules don't apply to package "car" drivers? Maybe the 70 hour language....is just arbitrary and has no connection to the DOT 70 hour rule. Lol.

The company can establish and enforce company policy.

Johney

If package car drivers had to follow DOT HOS laws then they wouldn't they also be being issued devices like our new IVIS to track hours? Which I believe must be implemented by Dec 2019 by law?

MAKAVELI

If package car drivers had to follow DOT HOS laws then they wouldn't they also be being issued devices like our new IVIS to track hours? Which I believe must be implemented by Dec 2019 by law?
No, pkg qualifies for the 150 air miles exemption.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If your company makes you follow HOS regardless, it really doesn't matter if legally you have to or not.

It does matter why you are adhering to the HOS rules.

If it is because it's your Company's policy, well, they can suspend that policy anytime they want and then you don't have to follow the HOS rules.

And that happens here quite often.

But, if you're following them because it's the law, well, they can't suspend the law.

FedEx can suspend their policy anytime they want.

So it really does matter, and each employee needs to know if it they are required to follow the HOS by law.

MAKAVELI

It does matter why you are adhering to the HOS rules.

If it is because it's your Company's policy, well, they can suspend that policy anytime they want and then you don't have to follow the HOS rules.

And that happens here quite often.

But, if you're following them because it's the law, well, they can't suspend the law.

FedEx can suspend their policy anytime they want.

So it really does matter, and each employee needs to know if it they are required to follow the HOS by law.
I find that hard to believe UPS suspends HOS for any driver " officially ". FedEx does only for drivers that are non DOT and have no DOT card.