Package Hide & Seek?

stringerman85

I'm still currently a seasonal type driver, 3 seasons already going back last summer...As far as the hiring situation, I have put my 100 percent good effort like King has been doing and have made very good impressions, Did many routes, center manager i have drove for has tried pulling a string for me, But like I said, I have driven 3 seasonal periods and still not hired on full time, So as far as getting ahead of higher seniority employees is a bust..

They always make it seem like they're going to "keep you" or "bring you back" FT but it never happens (unless u have the seniority) King, Keep doing a good job, But once you're like me and have driven your third consecutive seasonal period, You'll understand not to get your hopes up, I actually chose not to drive this christmas, No point! I have plenty of experience anyway (a year total of driving, 2 summers/ 1 peak) and have given my best efforts and impressions that I have nothing else to give :happy-very: I'm glad I drove all those months and my center will be waiting for me when the time comes

I'm making enough hours with doubles and making top scale as an air driver, i get almost 40 hours a week as a PT'er during the year, At this point I'm not expecting a FT driving job for atleast a year

New Englander

Seasonal driver here for one Christmas and vacation period. Then full time driver.

Don't generalize it entirely depends upon your area and the area needs at the time.

Seasonal driver here for one Christmas and vacation period. Then full time driver.

Don't generalize it entirely depends upon your area and the area needs at the time.
The time involved is variable per center/hub, but the rules are not all that flexible. The year I went FT, five peak drivers we brought back by the first of March. Since then maybe two have been brought back in 19 years. It's a matter of the need for FTers.

kingOFchester

Steve, thanks for your input!! If you want to label me, I have no problem with that. Been called far worse by people I care about. I am not going to get into a pissing contest over who is right or wrong. If calling someone a slacker is wrong in your eyes, then so be it. I have no problem with that. To quote you "you calls things as you see it" and so do I. Have agreat night and a great career. And BTW, I am sorry to hear about your mother. I lost my father a few years back. It was a horrible experience. Sometimes I don't know what is worse, a quick death or one that takes years. My father dies of brain cancer and it lasted for years. So, again, sorry about her passing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, thanks for your input!! If you want to label me, I have no problem with that. Been called far worse by people I care about. I am not going to get into a pissing contest over who is right or wrong. If calling someone a slacker is wrong in your eyes, then so be it. I have no problem with that. To quote you "you calls things as you see it" and so do I. Have agreat night and a great career. And BTW, I am sorry to hear about your mother. I lost my father a few years back. It was a horrible experience. Sometimes I don't know what is worse, a quick death or one that takes years. My father dies of brain cancer and it lasted for years. So, again, sorry about her passing.

Not trying to argue this to the death, KOC. I'm just saying that the guys you point your finger at today, may be the guys with seniority over you tomorrow. Do your job, and before you know it, you'll be driving....Good luck.

Sorry about your dad, these things are inevitable, but never easy.

rod

Retired 22 years
Funny thing here, though, jw, I started on Feb. 29th, so I only get a year anniversary, every 4 years.:surprised:

Why do I get the feeling that this could really be a problem come time to retire. I can hear the conversation now: " We are sorry Steve- our records show you only have 7 1/2 years in- not 30. :peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Why do I get the feeling that this could really be a problem come time to retire. I can hear the conversation now: " We are sorry Steve- our records show you only have 7 1/2 years in- not 30. :peaceful:

Guess I should change 30 years and counting, to 37 1/2 years to go.

kingOFchester

King,
I drove from June thru the end of Aug. full time only to find out those days did not count toward my probationary period because of some 25+ year old agreement that the union and UPS have had with regards to the use of summertime "casual" drivers.
I have been reading the agreement book, and do not see that in the contract. I know you are right as I have heard this b4, just wanted to read it myself,
Thanks

1BrownClown

Doing my Time!
King, Look at Page 214 (yellow) section 6. To get more detail about this letter, you have to go to union hall to read it. Sorry, that's the best I have. Enjoy your week end.

kingOFchester

"the present casual agreements with each local union will remain for the duration of this agreement"

WOW, that is it! I can see how you missed that. Thanks for the heads up about this letter.