Package Hide & Seek?

kingOFchester

You should think of UPS as an elaborate deli counter with the machine that you "Take a number" from. When you are hired you take a number. This number is yours for the next 30 years or so. You will advance when your number is called. It doesn't matter if you bring coffee and donuts or offer to pick up the CMs drycleaning.
Cool. When did you work in my center? BTW, my uncle owns a deli, never had to wait for a number, just slipped in the back door and got my aunt to pull my order!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If it is true, what you say, then the driver should have followed through with the steward. I am sure that greivance would have been won. We had one such grievance like that. It took 2 yrs to win it but it was won and the company had to pay all back wages.

Now as far as drivers working before start time. 2 wrongs don't make anything right. You have to be resposible for yourself. If you chose to cheat the system then you aren't any better than mgt.

RozUPS

The only thing I have to add to this is when you start any new job you don't have it all figured out like you do years into the job. Yes I believe seniority is the clear cut way you should advance but you can't count on it. The world is not perfect and UPS is no different. So as a newbie you learn the job, do the best you can and try to show that you can do the job well enough to get seniority when the time comes. If that means that you come in early to organize your truck so your day is easier so be it. It doesn't mean you have to do it that way forever.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Guess since you have all the answers, you win. I'll tell you this, been there done that and have the hip surgery scars to prove it all. What did it do for me? I still waited in line like everyone else. Been with UPS going on 13 years now, 9 of those years driving, 2 1/2 of those injured from working "hard" to impress Mr. Man. You will never be able to do or say enough, is all I'm saying, but feel free to kill yourself, it's your body. I'm just trying to look out for a young me.

I agree with dilli, the shop steward, not the hr person is the guy that the skipped over guy should be talking to. I'm sure that being the gentleman you are, you'll make him fully aware of this, even if he's not as hard a worker as yourself.

Remember that there is a law of reciprocity, so be careful.

kingOFchester

Guess since you have all the answers, you win. I'll tell you this, been there done that and have the hip surgery scars to prove it all. What did it do for me? I still waited in line like everyone else. Been with UPS going on 13 years now, 9 of those years driving, 2 1/2 of those injured from working "hard" to impress Mr. Man. You will never be able to do or say enough, is all I'm saying, but feel free to kill yourself, it's your body. I'm just trying to look out for a young me.

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how old you are but I am going on 40. I will not put my body at jeopordy of hurting myself. I will not run stops off. I will not ride without the seat belt. But I will be willing to go in early to make my day easier. And, no I don't have all the answers. i just can't see why people can't see that thigs can be diffrent from one building to the next. I hear so much crap about management....which i am sure is true in their case, but I can tell you it is not as bad as some paint it at my center.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
King, best of luck to ya on that. Just don't come here if you get injured before start time and the company denies you workers comp because you weren't on the clock. Won't happen? It can and does happen.

kingOFchester

King, best of luck to ya on that. Just don't come here if you get injured before start time and the company denies you workers comp because you weren't on the clock. Won't happen? It can and does happen.
I won't. I would go to a lawyer that would have no problem getting that taken care of. Trust me on that. UPS would not have a leg to stand on. You can bet your bottom dollar on that!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hey kid, you haven been given some advice from senior employees who at one time felt the same way you did. While i know i never loaded my truck before start time, i did run and alot to the point were i can not completely bend my left knee anymore. Jumping in and out of the truck to make these BS numbers will get you only one thing! HURT!

Its obvious you will not listen and you will have to learn on your own, so when you blow out your knee or back i only hope that you are on the clock!

Until you learn the hard way, im done tring to help you!

kingOFchester

Hey kid, you haven been given some advice from senior employees who at one time felt the same way you did. While i know i never loaded my truck before start time, i did run and alot to the point were i can not completely bend my left knee anymore. Jumping in and out of the truck to make these BS numbers will get you only one thing! HURT!

Its obvious you will not listen and you will have to learn on your own, so when you blow out your knee or back i only hope that you are on the clock!

Until you learn the hard way, im done tring to help you!

Slow down there red......I never said I don't want advice. I already said I am not a runner. Just go in early and try my best while following the methods.:whiteflag:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I know the methods, can you show me were going in early and working off the clock is listed as one of them!

Peak or not, i punch in and i stand at the front of the center, and the only time im on the dock before start is if i see a sup working. My preloader has the right to earn his share of money as i do, and if ups dispatches to much, than he gets ot loading it and i get ot delivering it. I do not make plans during the week, and if its important for me now i just call in to ensure i make it.

UPSGUY72

when they started the PAS system they took away are sort time. But we still need to sort the package a couple of times a day or you waste to much time a each stop looking for the package.

Sure the system is great but and easier but they think they you don't have to sort your next section. Technology only can do so much.

barnyard

KTM rider
How do you explain that there are 2 people that I work with. One started preload a little over 6 months ago. The other started over a year ago. Both signed up for Sat air when HR came around with the clipboard asking us who wants to sign up for driving. This was months ago. The guy that has only been there 6months and myself went to driving school. The guy who has been there over a year got passed over.

Others have pointed out that the more senior employee may have been disqualified because of an accident or ticket.

Here is another thing to think about while you are 'running and gunning.' If you get into any kind of chargeable accident while driving PT, you are disqualified from signing a bid for 1 year.

That more senior PT employee may go FT before you......

TB

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I believe what King is saying (correct me if I am wrong) is that, as a new cover driver (like myself) getting in the truck early to sort the load helps to make the day go easier. Being seen doing so shows those who make decisions that you work hard.

There can be no doubt at all - If I don't do this / show this, someone else will, and I stay home. That is a fact.

I'm sure you all are correct that once qualified & reaching seniority, the extra work & 110% effort is wasted. But until that point, unless I do the extra, the management will find someone who will.

This is not my opinion or experience - this is just what it is.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Its xmas time and you do not obtain any seniority during this time! With layoffs coming possibly its all for nothing while at the same time costing the preloaders money and also the employees some extra ot to put away for the layoffs!

Its not a difficult concept to grasp yet people still cant understand it!