Package Hide & Seek?

RozUPS

Its xmas time and you do not obtain any seniority during this time! With layoffs coming possibly its all for nothing while at the same time costing the preloaders money and also the employees some extra ot to put away for the layoffs!

Its not a difficult concept to grasp yet people still cant understand it!

BigBrownSanta

kingOFchester,

You've been given some very good advice from guys and gals (can't forget Dilli) that have "been there and done that." What you decide to do with that advice is your decision. Sometimes you can stare at the answer for so long that you don't realize that it really is the answer. I hope you don't choose to learn it the hard way. Good luck.

1BrownClown

Doing my Time!
King,
Being that I rarely see you in the am I will use this forum to let you know that you obtaining FULL TIME seniority will be followed 100% by the contract and this WILL be enforced by the union. As you know we work in the same building (though in different centers) and i am in a somewhat similar situation as you having started a new career at UPS in my mid 30's. Sat air driving however can be somewhat different with the joke of an HR team that we currently have at times picking favorites.
I know fist hand how frustrating it can be to bust you ass, to be told by your center manager and entire management team that you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and to drive from Sept. to X-mas only to be told later "sorry you have to go back to preload". Additionally I drove from June thru the end of Aug. full time only to find out those days did not count toward my probationary period because of some 25+ year old agreement that the union and UPS have had with regards to the use of summertime "casual" drivers.
That being said the union, OUR UNION, will see to it that you will go out and get your chance at FULL TIME driving when it is your time as outlined in the contract. If you have any problems or question with regards to this I highly recommend that instead of venting here on the café, talking to your center team, or dealing with HR that you contact your BA. I am not sure if you know it or not, but you have one of the BEST BA's around. He knows the contract inside and out, was a driver in the building that we work out of for many years, an can be a Major thorn in the ass of UPS when a wrong needs to be righted. I'd also recommend going to the next union meeting if you can (DEC.21st 10:30am). They can be boring at times but they can also be informitive as well, plus the free food and drink are great. It will not hurt to have your face seen, meet some people, and ask some questions or ask advice from people who want to see you succeed.
Take you time and enjoy this peak. Learn as much as you can, and most importantly relax, slow down, and be safe. As I said before, your time will come.

PS, I fully expect to be laid off after peak and moving cardboard with you in the preeload again come January

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Its xmas time and you do not obtain any seniority during this time! (emphasis added) With layoffs coming possibly its all for nothing while at the same time costing the preloaders money and also the employees some extra ot to put away for the layoffs!

Its not a difficult concept to grasp yet people still cant understand it!

That is a DAMN good point

But, at some point my number will be called. And if I have made a name for myself, perhaps I will have a better shot at getting called earlier then the "Joe" who just came and did what they had to do. You have clearly had some kool aid if you sincerly believe that one's performance will have no bearing. maybe in your building, maybe in a lot of the buildings. But to believe that 100% of the time at 100% of the building that seniority is the only way....is very foolish thinking.
Keep knocking yourself out, but when the magic moment comes and "Joe" gets the full time position because he has more seniority, don't come on here crying that you got screwed. Look, I do understand your premise that you want to be the best you can be at what ever you do, I applaud that. However it is not a guarantee that you will get the advancement you want. Thinking it will, is foolish.

kingOFchester

King,
Being that I rarely see you in the am I will use this forum to let you know that you obtaining FULL TIME seniority will be followed 100% by the contract and this WILL be enforced by the union. As you know we work in the same building (though in different centers) and i am in a somewhat similar situation as you having started a new career at UPS in my mid 30's. Sat air driving however can be somewhat different with the joke of an HR team that we currently have at times picking favorites.
I know fist hand how frustrating it can be to bust you ass, to be told by your center manager and entire management team that you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and to drive from Sept. to X-mas only to be told later "sorry you have to go back to preload". Additionally I drove from June thru the end of Aug. full time only to find out those days did not count toward my probationary period because of some 25+ year old agreement that the union and UPS have had with regards to the use of summertime "casual" drivers.
That being said the union, OUR UNION, will see to it that you will go out and get your chance at FULL TIME driving when it is your time as outlined in the contract. If you have any problems or question with regards to this I highly recommend that instead of venting here on the café, talking to your center team, or dealing with HR that you contact your BA. I am not sure if you know it or not, but you have one of the BEST BA's around. He knows the contract inside and out, was a driver in the building that we work out of for many years, an can be a Major thorn in the ass of UPS when a wrong needs to be righted. I'd also recommend going to the next union meeting if you can (DEC.21st 10:30am). They can be boring at times but they can also be informitive as well, plus the free food and drink are great. It will not hurt to have your face seen, meet some people, and ask some questions or ask advice from people who want to see you succeed.
Take you time and enjoy this peak. Learn as much as you can, and most importantly relax, slow down, and be safe. As I said before, your time will come.

PS, I fully expect to be laid off after peak and moving cardboard with you in the preeload again come January

1brownclown,
Thanks for the post. I will certainly try to make it to the union meeting!! As I was driving today, and had time to put my thoughts in order, I came to the conclusion that it is in my blood to give 100%. Regardless of seniority and the like, I will always give 100%. I do believe that seniority is everything. But, I will contend that there COULD be bennefits to working hard and having your boss see that. Seniority, pobably not. I give 100% in life.

Last point, I know that I will be back at preload. I know the economy, and know that it will take time to get full time!

I also think its foolish thinking that the person who gives 100% will be treated the same as the person who is always dragging their feet. Perhaps, it may be just a smile and a thank you, but I stand by the FACT that giving 100% can't hurt.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
1brownclown,
Thanks for the post. I will certainly try to make it to the union meeting!! As I was driving today, and had time to put my thoughts in order, I came to the conclusion that it is in my blood to give 100%. Regardless of seniority and the like, I will always give 100%. I do believe that seniority is everything. But, I will contend that there COULD be bennefits to working hard and having your boss see that. Seniority, pobably not. I give 100% in life.

Last point, I know that I will be back at preload. I know the economy, and know that it will take time to get full time!

I also think its foolish thinking that the person who gives 100% will be treated the same as the person who is always dragging their feet. Perhaps, it may be just a smile and a thank you, but I stand by the FACT that giving 100% can't hurt.

Now, if I could only teach you to sit and heel!

I totally agree with your 100% work ethic. That's definitely the way to do a good job and get it done. Nothing wrong with taking the bull by the horns, unless that bull happens to be in your pkg car before start time.:surprised:

kingOFchester

Sit and heel......I wish I could get the dog at 118 XXXXX street to do that. Damn thing came after me again!!

And yes, I do admit when I am wrong....as it appears I was when I suggested that working hard could move me up quicker!!

kingOFchester

Have a question, and not trying to start anything.

If you have two fulltime drivers. One works hard, always helps out when asked, good attitude, never late and so forth. One driver who is more of a slacker, gives management a hard time, know to show up late here and there. Both told their boss that they have a family affair and wanted to be off by 5pm.....would a supervisor give preference to one but not the other?

Now, while working preload I have had my fulltime supervisor work with me on occasions when I needed to take off early, when the same supervisor was never flexible with another preloaded who was definitely a slacker. Is this something that is not the norm?

New Englander

I don't get in nearly the same amount of trouble other drivers do for like reasons.

Why? I get the job done and absolutely never complain about my stop count until they complain about my lack of lunches.

Work hard and don't make any waves until your seniority. Do not let anyone else tell you differently.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

If you have two fulltime drivers. One works hard, always helps out when asked, good attitude, never late and so forth. One driver who is more of a slacker, gives management a hard time, know to show up late here and there. Both told their boss that they have a family affair and wanted to be off by 5pm.....would a supervisor give preference to one but not the other?

Now, while working preload I have had my fulltime supervisor work with me on occasions when I needed to take off early, when the same supervisor was never flexible with another preloaded who was definitely a slacker. Is this something that is not the norm?

Yes, that happens. But KOC, I'm under the impression that you look around at guys all day judging them based on what you see, then pat yourself on the back for being "better" than they are and not acting the way they do. In my book, that's called self righteousness. I suggest you close your eyes and do a good job based on your ability and not based on what you consider to be a lack of ability of others...MHO.

I don't get in nearly the same amount of trouble other drivers do for like reasons.

Why? I get the job done and absolutely never complain about my stop count until they complain about my lack of lunches.

Work hard and don't make any waves until your seniority. Do not let anyone else tell you differently.

I wondered why you looked so skinny, keep killing yourself, kid.:dead:

705red

Browncafe Steward
1brownclown,

I give a 100% everyday and this time of year i give more than 100%, but its always on the clock.

I will go up against any driver that sorts out his truck off the clock for free, while i sort through my truck on the clock and compare paychecks.

A great work ethic is one thing and working for free is another, thats were i have the problem at. Good luck

New Englander

Yes, that happens. But KOC, I'm under the impression that you look around at guys all day judging them based on what you see, then pat yourself on the back for being "better" than they are and not acting the way they do. In my book, that's called self righteousness. I suggest you close your eyes and do a good job based on your ability and not based on what you consider to be a lack of ability of others...MHO.

I wondered why you looked so skinny, keep killing yourself, kid.:dead:

Steve....drop the lunch crap. It's a tired discussion. When I do take a lunch, I do not eat on it anyways. I'll read a book or the newspaper or fire of a few text messages to friends.

I go home an hour earlier and get paid for all my time.

Bottom line is that when you are not a seniority driver you have to do what ever it takes to make it work.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...Bottom line is that when you are not a seniority driver you have to do what ever it takes to make it work...

EXACTLY

On-Topic - Yesterday I had two late airs. Every morning I grab all the airs from the tote at the back of the car, write them down, check the board for others. Every day.

1pm business stop (bulk) I find an air mixed in. 2pm same thing. I call center, explain they were not in the board & mixed in w/load. They explained "that is why you have to come in early & go thru your load every day".

Bull

feeder53

ADKtrails
I think I would just report them like you have done, and they are free to say anything they feel, but you do not have the feel the same or do something that is not right....

kingOFchester

Yes, that happens. But KOC, I'm under the impression that you look around at guys all day judging ........... then pat yourself on the back for being "better" than they are ............. In my book, that's called self righteousness. I .....
Steve, with all due respect, I know for a fact MOST of the drivers I have worked with and speak with work their tail off. Never judged any of them. As for the preload, there are a few that I know of that are slackers. Doesn't make me feel any better. I judge myself on my own work ethic. In my book, you are judging me.
705red said:
A great work ethic is one thing and working for free is another, thats were I have the problem at
Well, I certainly do not expect you to work off the clock. I am always an "arrive early kind of guy". leave time for traffic problems, flat tires, forgetting something at home. This leaves me with free time to straighten my truck, to make my day easier.
BBAG said:
They explained "that is why you have to come in early & go thru your load every day".

Bull
Absolutely. I would have a huge problem being told "I have to come in early..........."

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

You said these things, so where's, my judgement? I'm just calling it like I see it, as usual. You obviously look down on people that, "aren't working like you", are "slackers", "show up late". Not everyone is the same as you, KOC. But each and everyone of those people will stand in the same line as you and get the call. Some will be ahead of you, some behind. Some will make it, some won't.

Trying closing your eyes to what you think are people's faults, for awhile, maybe you'll see that they are just simple human beings, like yourself. There's really no defense for self righteousness.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Well, I certainly do not expect you to work off the clock. I am always an "arrive early kind of guy". leave time for traffic problems, flat tires, forgetting something at home. This leaves me with free time to straighten my truck, to make my day easier.
I'M an arrive early kind of guy too, and its to insure that people like you are getting paid for working and not doing it for free.

stringerman85

Who in the hell wants to look at the crap in the morning anyway :happy-very: I get into my truck and put my stuff in there and see a wall of bricks stacked near the bulk head door, All I think is holy christ...Then I walk out...I rather deal with that stuff when I'm at my first stop :wink2: Then from there just dig for my rear bulk stops, But at 8:30 before start time, NO THANKS