Package sent to "overgoods" after failed delivery attempts???

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Mississippi? Weird... every overgoods package I've ever dealt with went to Utah.

That's Northwest Research, a third-party inventory/research firm that FDX purchased a couple of years ago. Certain shipments went to Utah, others went to Mississippi - don't remember why some went to one place and some went to the other. Seems like one place was for undeliverable pkgs that couldn't be returned for some reason and the other was for stuff that came out of pkgs.

Bingo

Long story ahead. I'm new here so I apologize if any of the questions I raise here have been answered in other threads. Though I've done a ton of Googling and my problem appears to be unusual.

I live in Los Angeles and a couple of weeks ago, I went to a FedEx store and had a package shipped to another address in LA. They asked me if I wanted a signature to be required for delivery (which costs extra) and I said yes, thinking it was just a good way of knowing that someone had accepted the package and that it wasn't left outside a door where someone else could snatch it.

A couple weeks later, confused that I never got a confirmation of the delivery, I called the FedEx phone number and found out that FedEx had repeatedly attempted to delivery my package but that nobody was ever there to sign for it. Yet instead of just leaving the package outside the address on the final attempt, FedEx decided -- for reasons I have been unable to clearly determine -- to send my package to their "overgoods" department... ALL THE WAY OVER IN MISSISSIPPI!!!!!

I don't understand why FedEx didn't just return the package to me, and I certainly don't understand why they sent it to the South, of all places, rather than an overgoods department in LA.

When I called FedEx to try to get my package out of the overgoods in Mississippi, they asked me for an "account number".

I don't have an account number. I went to the store where I shipped the package, and the clerks confirmed to me that *they're* the ones who used an account number to ship the package, and that the account number was based on the card that I used to pay for shipping.

But again, I don't have the account number. It's not even on my receipt.

The clerks at the store didn't want to give me their account number and advised me to call the number and let them know that somebody at FedEx made a mistake sending my package to Mississippi.

But the people on the phone started telling me that I still needed to give them an account number in order to get the package released from overgoods and sent back to me. When I asked why, they claimed that an account number would be used to pay for shipping.

I smelled extortion. I'd already paid FedEx for failing the deliver the package and now I guess they wanted me to pay them again to ship it back to me.

I started calling their number again because I wanted a refund. During one call, the guy on the other end of the line refused to give me a refund. I could barely understand him so I hung up. But I called again, a different person answered, she was sympathetic and she told me I'd get a refund (I haven't seen the money re-appear in my account yet but I'll provide an update if I do).

At this point I have given up any hope of recovering my package that's stuck in Mississippi. I don't necessarily need it back; it was just some documents which I have copies of anyway.

But does anyone here know what went wrong here? Should I just never let FedEx require a signature for a delivery? Why doesn't this sort of thing happen more often? Why did my package get sent way over to another state? Why was FedEx so hesitant to accept responsibility for their mistake? WHY?????

Bingo

Harry When you require a signature ,we will attempt to deliver the package 3 business days in a row. After the 3rd attempt it will be brought back to the station where the recipient will have 7 days to pick it up. The address of the station is on the door tag we left each of those 3 days. After that period of time we will return to the shipper and the shipper will pay the return freight. The place where you shipped the package did not want to pay the return freight and Fedex did not have your account info. Therefore your package was sent to unclaimed goods

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Here's some good advice. I suggest you follow it.

View attachment 249106 View attachment 249107

You're welcome!

:)
44EC0BAA-F202-4E38-8666-D9FB85815584.gif

Oh please. You know UPS does the exact same thing with an undelivered, unreturnable package. Lol.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Put up their address... we'll go from there & so others avoid that place for poor practices.

U should be going after them.

@RiccardoG , u express or ground? Cause I'm still scratching my head on one attempt and your management said no 2nd attempt afterwards

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Put up their address... we'll go from there & so others avoid that place for poor practices.

U should be going after them.

@RiccardoG , u express or ground? Cause I'm still scratching my head on one attempt and your management said no 2nd attempt afterwards
New residential delivery policy. Started in test areas over 2 years ago. Might not have made it to all service areas yet.

OrioN

Oh, so express... just for CODs, or for anything with a signature required parcel?

Remember my other thread that their incompetent warehouse worker was assigning DSR on much-needed meds???

Yeah, their previous service contract was with USPS and they were doing one attempt, then hold at the post office... if they had told the shipper about just cramming their meds inside the mailbox, not signature required, then it should've been ok.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Harry, how the hell did you ever wind up on this site anyway? Haven’t you noticed this is a forum for less-than-gruntled employees?

I must say I am rather appreciative of the diversion from the usual Punch ‘n Judy show however. Drop by any time.

Harry, how the hell did you ever wind up on this site anyway?

After doing a ton of Googling about my problem, and not finding any satisfactory explanations on the Internet (nor from on-duty FedEx employees), I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask people who have a knowledge of the system and could explain it in a way that an outside consumer could understand.

From now on, I will not be saying "yes" to the FedEx signature requirement option anytime soon.

OrioN

Well then the op has to go in that place and reimburse them for the RTS... or it's going to stay in limbo