Package sent to "overgoods" after failed delivery attempts???

P1 Failure

When a package from the station is sent back to a customer they usually use a non-rev account number. The customer also is contacted beforehand to let them know it was undeliverable and what do they want FedEx to do. Send back or destroy. Why it went to overgoods is weird.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You personally, since you said you would. FedEx fulfilled its obligation. Why should the expense of returning it fall on them?

I have no idea what you are talking about. I said I would what? I was just talking about my experience as a clerk. Return service for exception packages at UPS is automatic. I never had to check with the customer first to see if they would pay for it. Do they automatically get charged for it? I don't know.

But since you brought it up, why would FedEx go to the extra expense of shipping a package multiple states away when the return service, in this case, couldn't possibly cost them as much? There really isn't an argument here.

dezguy

Stuff doesn't get sent to over goods unless the consignee or shipper cannot be contacted, which leads me to believe that the phone number for both was entered wrong on the AWB (or one was omitted and the other one wrong).

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I have no idea what you are talking about. I said I would what? I was just talking about my experience as a clerk. Return service for exception packages at UPS is automatic. I never had to check with the customer first to see if they would pay for it. Do they automatically get charged for it? I don't know.

But since you brought it up, why would FedEx go to the extra expense of shipping a package multiple states away when the return service, in this case, couldn't possibly cost them as much? There really isn't an argument here.
If it has a return address, like the op said it did, as a clerk I would slap a return label on it and send it out, not to overgoods.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Long story ahead. I'm new here so I apologize if any of the questions I raise here have been answered in other threads. Though I've done a ton of Googling and my problem appears to be unusual.

I live in Los Angeles and a couple of weeks ago, I went to a FedEx store and had a package shipped to another address in LA. They asked me if I wanted a signature to be required for delivery (which costs extra) and I said yes, thinking it was just a good way of knowing that someone had accepted the package and that it wasn't left outside a door where someone else could snatch it.

A couple weeks later, confused that I never got a confirmation of the delivery, I called the FedEx phone number and found out that FedEx had repeatedly attempted to delivery my package but that nobody was ever there to sign for it. Yet instead of just leaving the package outside the address on the final attempt, FedEx decided -- for reasons I have been unable to clearly determine -- to send my package to their "overgoods" department... ALL THE WAY OVER IN MISSISSIPPI!!!!!

I don't understand why FedEx didn't just return the package to me, and I certainly don't understand why they sent it to the South, of all places, rather than an overgoods department in LA.

When I called FedEx to try to get my package out of the overgoods in Mississippi, they asked me for an "account number".

I don't have an account number. I went to the store where I shipped the package, and the clerks confirmed to me that *they're* the ones who used an account number to ship the package, and that the account number was based on the card that I used to pay for shipping.

But again, I don't have the account number. It's not even on my receipt.

The clerks at the store didn't want to give me their account number and advised me to call the number and let them know that somebody at FedEx made a mistake sending my package to Mississippi.

But the people on the phone started telling me that I still needed to give them an account number in order to get the package released from overgoods and sent back to me. When I asked why, they claimed that an account number would be used to pay for shipping.

I smelled extortion. I'd already paid FedEx for failing the deliver the package and now I guess they wanted me to pay them again to ship it back to me.

I started calling their number again because I wanted a refund. During one call, the guy on the other end of the line refused to give me a refund. I could barely understand him so I hung up. But I called again, a different person answered, she was sympathetic and she told me I'd get a refund (I haven't seen the money re-appear in my account yet but I'll provide an update if I do).

At this point I have given up any hope of recovering my package that's stuck in Mississippi. I don't necessarily need it back; it was just some documents which I have copies of anyway.

But does anyone here know what went wrong here? Should I just never let FedEx require a signature for a delivery? Why doesn't this sort of thing happen more often? Why did my package get sent way over to another state? Why was FedEx so hesitant to accept responsibility for their mistake? WHY?????
Yes you went wrong when you used FedEx, the end

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Still not FedEx employees.

FXO employees are FDX employees.

When a package from the station is sent back to a customer they usually use a non-rev account number. The customer also is contacted beforehand to let them know it was undeliverable and what do they want FedEx to do. Send back or destroy. Why it went to overgoods is weird.

Returns are not usually shipped via a non-rev account number. When there is an undeliverable shipment, a CSA goes into RTSS (or whatever it is now) and looks up the account number used to ship the pkg. If the account number is listed, there are instructions. Usually it's "return via Express Saver to the return address on the package using the same account that was used to ship it." Sometimes it says to call the shipper and get authorization, or to send to a different address, or to use a different account number.

If the shipper's account number isn't listed, we're to call the shipper and get approval to send the pkg back, find out which service they want to use, and to confirm that the return will be billed to their account.

FedEx isn't in the business of delivering packages to customers for free.

The argument is that there isn't an extra expense. They're already flying a plane from LAX to MEM. They're already driving a truck full of packages from MEM to overgoods.

P1 Failure

FXO employees are FDX employees.

Returns are not usually shipped via a non-rev account number. When there is an undeliverable shipment, a CSA goes into RTSS (or whatever it is now) and looks up the account number used to ship the pkg. If the account number is listed, there are instructions. Usually it's "return via Express Saver to the return address on the package using the same account that was used to ship it." Sometimes it says to call the shipper and get authorization, or to send to a different address, or to use a different account number.

If the shipper's account number isn't listed, we're to call the shipper and get approval to send the pkg back, find out which service they want to use, and to confirm that the return will be billed to their account.

FedEx isn't in the business of delivering packages to customers for free.

Ok maybe not a non-rev account but when I was off the road with a back injury and we still did Return To Work status or whatever it was called I remember using an account number for returns that wasn't the customers.It did always go by XS. Maybe it was charged back to the station or something. Whatever it was I used it a lot. This was probably 17-18 years ago. Maybe they don't do this anymore. I do vaguely remember calling customers for accounts and looking them up as well.

dezguy

Where I am, the station account or non rev account is used as a very last option, which is usually over goods.

If a customer wants their undeliverable shipment back, they're paying for it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ok maybe not a non-rev account but when I was off the road with a back injury and we still did Return To Work status or whatever it was called I remember using an account number for returns that wasn't the customers.It did always go by XS. Maybe it was charged back to the station or something. Whatever it was I used it a lot. This was probably 17-18 years ago. Maybe they don't do this anymore. I do vaguely remember calling customers for accounts and looking them up as well.
A lot has changed since then. No more freebie returns now. And since they made that change less packages are being returned. Imagine the perishables we used to return or the junk some shippers sent out that FedEx wasted money returning. That stuff goes in the trash now or to overgoods.