Packing a Lunch vs Buying

WorknLateHuh

80 percent of the time i bring lunch. If i didn't hate going to the grocery store and shop, i would bring a lunch practically everyday.

Not Rushin’

What has been your experience packing a lunch vs buying food every day? A few of the guys I have talked to either eat out every day, bring food from home 50% of the time, and one guy never eats out. He calculated how much he would spend buying a 5 to 7 dollar lunch 5 days a week vs investing that money over a year. It adds up. What do you guys do?

Disclaimer: Runners need not respond. If you skip lunch or don't eat, you have bigger problems.
I just pack it every day. It’s healthier and cheaper, however I may treat myself on a Friday once in a while

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I don’t eat until I get home for dinner. Skip breakfast and lunch. Only thing I have is coffee and water. During peak I’ll pack lunch and dinner and take 30-40 minutes worth of lunch broken up in the day. Always out in the resis with no microwave so I’ll wrap it in a towel and stuck it under the dash by the heater to warm it up.

onewithedd

I tried the take a lunch, hated it, I don’t want to spend anymore time in that truck than I have to cold in the winter, hot in the summer. Eff that!!! For 16 years I’ve eaten at the same place for lunch. They’ll make me whatever I want. Menu or not. I spend about 16 bucks a day.

JL 0513

I try to bring a lunch a couple times a week but mostly eat out. Often eat out twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day - breakfast on the way to work, lunch, dinner, and 4th meal at home.

I don't get some of you guys that can go all day without eating. I need a large meal every 4-5 hours. 😊

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a couple jobs in my life that I packed a lunch. It didn't take long to figure out there are only so many ways to fix a balogna sandwich. Packed lunches are boring

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
I don’t eat until I get home for dinner. Skip breakfast and lunch. Only thing I have is coffee and water. During peak I’ll pack lunch and dinner and take 30-40 minutes worth of lunch broken up in the day. Always out in the resis with no microwave so I’ll wrap it in a towel and stuck it under the dash by the heater to warm it up.
It’s called being a man

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Sunday night, i cook up a batch of chicken, sticky rice, and veggies. I divide it all out and roll them into sushi-like rolls, wrap them up, freeze most of them. Bring a few to work and take a bite when i go to the back to get pkgs throughout the day. Protien shake on lunch, after workout. Hella water all day. Then, after kids are sleeping and wife's done bitchin, i eat till im about to pop, then go to bed.

Ever have issues with acid reflux? I used to get that pretty bad when I worked nights and my eating/sleeping schedule was screwed.

I have been getting food on the go lately. Just easier since dealing with all the pandemic crap. Before that I would usually treat myself to a snack on the go, and the wife would pack me a lunch. Now she doesn't have the time.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'd bring some apples , an orange , a couple pieces or bread and maybe a salad. and just snack throughout the shift. ameal would kinda bog me down.maybe friday would get a sub.

ouanling

I tried the take a lunch, hated it, I don’t want to spend anymore time in that truck than I have to cold in the winter, hot in the summer. Eff that!!! For 16 years I’ve eaten at the same place for lunch. They’ll make me whatever I want. Menu or not. I spend about 16 bucks a day.

Depending on where people are, some people pay more taxes and that 16$ a day for them is gone in taxes which for you might not be.. so it's all relative.

if you're area has higher taxes and a bit lower top salary, 16$ is a lot.. a place where taxes are like 25% its nothing

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Ever have issues with acid reflux? I used to get that pretty bad when I worked nights and my eating/sleeping schedule was screwed.

I have been getting food on the go lately. Just easier since dealing with all the pandemic crap. Before that I would usually treat myself to a snack on the go, and the wife would pack me a lunch. Now she doesn't have the time.
Don't mess around with acid reflux , go see a dr , if untreated , it could lead to Barrett's disease , a throat cancer , the Dr will give you an upper GI test and put you on a prescription

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Don't mess around with acid reflux , go see a dr , if untreated , it could lead to Barrett's disease , a throat cancer , the Dr will give you an upper GI test and put you on a prescription
Barrets is actually pre-cancerous but still, not a good thing.

Faceplanted

Make 100k a year. Can’t afford to buy lunch. Some of you guys are funny

lunch is the best time of day besides clocking out. I make sure to sit down in climate control and enjoy a decent meal, not sit in 95 degree truck eating soggy Bologna sandwich

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Make 100k a year. Can’t afford to buy lunch. Some of you guys are funny

lunch is the best time of day besides clocking out. I make sure to sit down in climate control and enjoy a decent meal, not sit in 95 degree truck eating soggy Bologna sandwich
Your arrogance is astounding. :)

Spend 5 bucks a day on eating out, and before you know it, you've blown $1,250 in your first year alone.

It's not a question of being able to afford something.
Throwing money around just because you have it is a great way to not to have it anymore.