Parents with daughters.

Three daughters, no sons. When they hit their teens the phone starts ringing. All the time. Constantly. Incessantly. All day long. I'm like some sort of "Teen Party Chat Line" operator, taking messages, scheduling call-backs, etc.. One day I get a brainstorm and push the "Find Phone" button (causing the phone to ring) when the oldest daughter is indisposed in the bathroom. In a LOUD, clear voice I answer the fake call.

"Hello"
"Marie? yeah she's here, but she's poopin".
"Yes, pooping. You know, umm dropping a duece, pinching a loaf?"

~a cry of anguish escapes the walls of the bathroom~

"DAD, I am NOT POOPING!"

"Marie I can't hear you. I'm on the phone, and for the love of God, turn on the fan and spray some air freshener before you come out of there."

~another cry of anguish escapes the walls of the bathroom~

"Do you want to call back? She'll be available in 30 minutes or so."
"Umm, OK, I'll give her the message. Bye."

~another cry of anguish escapes the walls of the bathroom~

"Marie? That was some boy. Said he'll see you in school tomorrow."

I never had to answer the phone in my house again.
Good on Diz, Wish I had thunk of it. Instead I just got an answering machine and stopped answering the phone.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Ditto that! I had a conversation with someone today. This person told me that they were in the same boat as me. They were frantic and in a position where a child was being used to siphon money from this person. I will not let this happen. I have my own day to day issues and I don't need to add any of that drama, thank you!

Sorry for your case, cach, but this is more than a misunderstanding. This is something that will go on and on for a lifetime and I just ain't having it.

I have told my kids that I will not fund any idiotic mistakes. Get pregnant out of wedlock, become an alcoholic, drug addict, etc., and your on your own. If my wife does not agree then she can take care of the mess while I trip on down the road.

I also will never put up with having anyone live with us either. If they want to get married, great, but you better be able to afford it.

But, if my kids want to live with me forever, I don't have a problem with that. As long as they are productive and trying to better their lives, I am more than willing to help. I just don't want more people added under my roof.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have told my kids that I will not fund any idiotic mistakes. Get pregnant out of wedlock, become an alcoholic, drug addict, etc., and your on your own. If my wife does not agree then she can take care of the mess while I trip on down the road.

I also will never put up with having anyone live with us either. If they want to get married, great, but you better be able to afford it.

But, if my kids want to live with me forever, I don't have a problem with that. As long as they are productive and trying to better their lives, I am more than willing to help. I just don't want more people added under my roof.

As the old saying goes--"it all looks good on paper":wink2:

ol'browneye

Steve, You said you were a bad boy growing up so you should remember that every adult back then was the stupidest person alive! Maybe your daughter is going through the same thing. Don't let your stubborness (and hers) get in the way of being a part of your grandchild's life!

I don't know everything about your situation but I do know this- I have been a grandpa for 4 months now and that little guy just brightens my day everytime I see him! I remember getting a little misty eyed the first time he fell asleep on my chest. His total innocence and perfection just overwhelmed me. I was too young to appreciate that with my own children.

I hope and pray your relationship with your daughter heals with time, and hopefully sooner than later. And like dilli said, if she tries, you must try too. From one parent to another, good luck to you!:peaceful:

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
As the old saying goes--"it all looks good on paper":wink2:

The older I get the more I realize I would rather be all alone in the world then have to put up with anyone's, including my family's, crap on a continuous basis.

I love my kids but I just will not let them turn my "golden" years into something more resembling the color of brown :wink2:.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, You said you were a bad boy growing up so you should remember that every adult back then was the stupidest person alive! Maybe your daughter is going through the same thing. Don't let your stubborness (and hers) get in the way of being a part of your grandchild's life!

I don't know everything about your situation but I do know this- I have been a grandpa for 4 months now and that little guy just brightens my day everytime I see him! I remember getting a little misty eyed the first time he fell asleep on my chest. His total innocence and perfection just overwhelmed me. I was too young to appreciate that with my own children.

I hope and pray your relationship with your daughter heals with time, and hopefully sooner than later. And like dilli said, if she tries, you must try too. From one parent to another, good luck to you!:peaceful:
Thanks ol'b!