part-time air driver HOS is killing me

cajunboy

UPS is our employer not our owner. If you are a PT employee chances are you need another job to make ends meet. It is your responsibility to make sure you are DOT compliant. Don't ever give the company any more information than they ask for. God knows they won't give you anything in your time of need. Tell them you quit your other job to be thier humble servant. ha, ha.
cajunboy

StopCount

We can be on the clock 13.99 hrs. Ups has chosen to cap our hrs at 12. 12 hrs include lunch and breaks for a total of 1 hr (for me). Or in other words, 11 hrs driving 1 hr lunch and breaks. Break and lunch times vary by area. I personally have to get mgt approval to go over 12 hrs. I cannot get approval to go over 14hrs. 14 hrs are DOT regulations.

It doesn't matter if we are in a class B vehicle, UPS choses to abide with class a regs. You aren't going to change that.

You aren't completely correct...

UPS only caps you at 12 hours when they can. If you arn't done delivering they will make you work 14 "punch to punch".

Your lunch doesn't count in your 12 hour example because it is unpaid so a 12 hour day is 12.5 including your lunch.

14 hours is DOT regs, but you can work 16 hours max one day a week (ask your feeder driver).

Also, you take a 30 minute lunch, but you could take an hour if you wanted to...

Finally, the 60 DOT rule only applies to driving. You could work 60 hours monday through friday, then be a driver helper all day saturday like some people did in 2007.

MADMAX

yard dawg
Summary of the New Hours-of-Service Regulations Effective October 1, 2005

The following table summarizes only the HOS rule changes. Be sure to consult the Driver's Brochure for a more complete explanation of HOS rules.
HOURS-OF-SERVICE RULES
2003 Rule
Property-Carrying CMV Drivers
Compliance Through 09/30/05
2005 Rule

Property-Carrying CMV Drivers
Compliance On & After 10/01/05
May drive a maximum of 11 hours after 10 consecutive hours off duty. NO CHANGE May not drive beyond the 14th hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty. NO CHANGE May not drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days.
  • A driver may restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty.
NO CHANGE Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) drivers using a sleeper berth must take 10 hours off duty, but may split sleeper-berth time into two periods provided neither is less than 2 hours.CMV drivers using the sleeper berth provision must take at least 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth, plus 2 consecutive hours either in the sleeper berth, off duty, or any combination of the two.Passenger-carrying carriers/drivers are not subject to the new hours-of-service rules. These operations must continue to comply with the hours-of-service limitations specified in 49 CFR 395.5.
New Short-Haul Provision
Drivers of property-carrying CMVs which do not require a Commercial Driver's License for operation and who operate within a 150 air-mile radius of their normal work reporting location:
  • May drive a maximum of 11 hours after coming on duty following 10 or more consecutive hours off duty.
  • Are not required to keep records-of-duty status (RODS).
  • May not drive after the 14th hour after coming on duty 5 days a week or after the 16th hour after coming on duty 2 days a week.
Employer must:
  • Maintain and retain accurate time records for a period of 6 months showing the time the duty period began, ended, and total hours on duty each day in place of RODS.
Drivers who use the above-described short-haul provision are not eligible to use 100 air-mile provision 395.1(e) or the current 16-hour exception in 395.1(o).
e) Short-haul operations.
(e)(1) 100 air-mile radius driver. A driver is exempt from the requirements of §395.8 if:

(e)(1)(i) The driver operates within a 100 air-mile radius of the normal work reporting location;

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You aren't completely correct...

UPS only caps you at 12 hours when they can. If you arn't done delivering they will make you work 14 "punch to punch".
That's correct and I never claimed differently what I said was I cannot get authorization to go over 14
Your lunch doesn't count in your 12 hour example because it is unpaid so a 12 hour day is 12.5 including your lunch.
our sup/mgr does include lunch 11 hrs driving 30 lunch 2-15 min breaks for a total of 12 hrs.
14 hours is DOT regs, but you can work 16 hours max one day a week (ask your feeder driver).
you can for emergency conditions only
Also, you take a 30 minute lunch, but you could take an hour if you wanted to...
that's correct
Finally, the 60 DOT rule only applies to driving. You could work 60 hours monday through friday, then be a driver helper all day saturday like some people did in 2007.
that is also correct

Chopstic, these are Federal DOT rules. The only time the state supercedes these rules are if the states rules are stricter than Federal.