Part time poverty

El Correcto

god is dead
I live in california. Housing and gas prices are through the roof. My wife has medical problems its the only reason why i stick it out at ups. Im just tired of working more than 12 hours a day and still cant afford a house. I just wish there were more full time oppurtunities besides driving at ups, or if the wait time was shorter. Just stressed amd frusturated.
You’re being extremely selfish. The People’s Republic of California knows how to spend your money better than you, why does your family need a house when there are starving illegals to provide for?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I live in california. Housing and gas prices are through the roof. My wife has medical problems its the only reason why i stick it out at ups. Im just tired of working more than 12 hours a day and still cant afford a house. I just wish there were more full time oppurtunities besides driving at ups, or if the wait time was shorter. Just stressed amd frusturated.
You don't want to buy a house in California anymore brother. I would move. My property tax on my condo in orange county was $11,800 A year. My HOA was 355 a month. I now live on a 1/4 acre in a 4 bedroom house. My property tax is 3500 a year.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
They expect u to be on call 24/7 but also insist on the fact that it's only a part time position. U can't win with Joo-PS
You know who they expect to be on call?? Pushovers who don't read the contract, people who they know they can abuse. People who are too scared to file grievances. You get my point. This is not an on call job. DO NOT ANSWER when they call.

Box Ox

You know who they expect to be on call?? Pushovers who don't read the contract, people who they know they can abuse. People who are too scared to file grievances. You get my point. This is not an on call job. DO NOT ANSWER when they call.

Think he couldn’t cut it as Union hourly and went PT sup a while back.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Two jobs. I did it for 9 years and 10 months before I was offered a full time driving job. I did construction full time then raced to ups for my twilight shift.
Almost 10 year you being pt...while at the same time probably hired drivers off the street ... that’s frustrating

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Almost 10 year you being pt...while at the same time probably hired drivers off the street ... that’s frustrating
No. There were zero drivers hired for about 8 of those years. I was the top seniority TCD for a majority of those years. I only did the 2 job thing for a couple years. But, I worked more as a TCD then having to jobs.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No. There were zero drivers hired for about 8 of those years. I was the top seniority TCD for a majority of those years. I only did the 2 job thing for a couple years. But, I worked more as a TCD then having to jobs.
You work in a small building??

purehavanne

I was born and raised in southern california. My 9 years and 10 months was spent in Laguna building in orange county CA. Then finally offered a full time spot in Anaheim building. Local 952. I know all about the cost of living in CA. That's why once I went full time I transferred out of state. Your preaching to choir my freind. We've all been there. You'll get through it.
Did you get an education transfer or is there some other way? I’m trynna escape the North East cost of living.

Hannah-banana

Yup, I get up at 3am, i work 4am till 8:30, then drive an hour to my other job and work until 6pm. Get to bed by 8.

I barely break even on my bare minimum expenses. If it takes 10 years to make a good wage and have full time, then having a family won't happen in my life. It's not ok.

Hannah-banana

Did it for 12, preaching to the choir my brother...

now retired, and blessed beyond anything that I deserve!

Are you tough enough?

I am tough enough. I have to be. But also consider that since your time at UPS, the cost of living has gone up dramatically in most places, and the wages have stayed almost the same.

At some point, that is a non-survivable scenario.

Hannah-banana

I think new hires should get 5 hours a day at 15$. Any less is a daily slap in the face, and riding the edge with homelessness, no matter many hours you put in at your 3 jobs.

This is a very real problem.