Part time poverty

wilberforce15

Just about every union job is a serious struggle until you become permanent full time. Ups is no different. The end goal is a full time job. Ever heard the term "paying your dues"

Yes, but newbies are being lectured by full-timers who had a living wage (or much closer to one) when they were part-time.

I know a bunch of guys who paid tuition, rent, and all their expenses with a little money left over as students working PT at UPS (80's-mid90's). Now, four paychecks barely pay rent some places.

They want us to put in our dues, but they never put in dues anything like what we are.

llamainmypocket

How do you expect to hire quality employees at 10 bucks an hour to unload trucks at 3 in the morning for 3 hours a day? Ups scratches its head in confusion when they see the turnover rate and the demographic of workers they attract. Give us a raise, give us hours, or let us double shift regularly. Something has to change.

Drivers need part time poverty wages to facilitate their pay.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Yes, but newbies are being lectured by full-timers who had a living wage (or much closer to one) when they were part-time.

I know a bunch of guys who paid tuition, rent, and all their expenses with a little money left over as students working PT at UPS (80's-mid90's). Now, four paychecks barely pay rent some places.

They want us to put in our dues, but they never put in dues anything like what we are.
You must have missed the part where I said I waited almost a decade for fulltime. I started here in '04 went fulltime in '14. The part time pay sucked just as bad then as it does now. The only difference is I didn't cry about it. I knew what this place was. Long wait for a good job. It has always been that way.

wilberforce15

You must have missed the part where I said I waited almost a decade for fulltime. I started here in '04 went fulltime in '14. The part time pay sucked just as bad then as it does now. The only difference is I didn't cry about it. I knew what this place was. Long wait for a good job. It has always been that way.

Note that I didn't say you were one of them. I'll be a lifetime part-timer by choice after starting in '05.

But it's a simple fact that PT hourly work at UPS used to be sufficient by itself for young guys and now it's not. When the $8.50 rate was introduced in the 80's, it was the inflation-adjusted equivalent of $18/hr now or so.

We could get a "raise" to $18/hr right now, and it would only put us even with the very senior folks when they started. But they'd yell about entitlement and what not, when it's exactly what they got themselves.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Note that I didn't say you were one of them. I'll be a lifetime part-timer by choice after starting in '05.

But it's a simple fact that PT hourly work at UPS used to be sufficient by itself for young guys and now it's not. When the $8.50 rate was introduced in the 80's, it was the inflation-adjusted equivalent of $18/hr now or so.

We could get a "raise" to $18/hr right now, and it would only put us even with the very senior folks when they started. But they'd yell about entitlement and what not, when it's exactly what they got themselves.
You are in the minority as a career part timer.

Hannah-banana

Exactly

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I live extremely minimally. I cannot change the cost of living. What I can do is be active with the union and organize my fellow workers around this issue.

I have 3 jobs. What more do you suppose I could do?
If ups is going to be your career. Your in your infancy here. If you get more now your just going to be getting less at the end. When you need it most.

wilberforce15

You are in the minority as a career part timer.

Yes, nobody hangs around because we're not paid what we used to be. After 10 years, I'm just now getting the same as the old guys in my center got when they started.

So they can pretty much bite me if they want to talk about entitlement.

I love the insurance, the low/no stress, the light workout, and now a decent check. I've got my needs covered too well by other work to deal with the harassment and headache of FT work. They deserve their wages. But they don't have any right to lecture PT about putting in dues.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Yes, nobody hangs around because we're not paid what we used to be. After 10 years, I'm just now getting the same as the old guys in my center got when they started.

So they can pretty much bite me if they want to talk about entitlement.

I love the insurance, the low/no stress, the light workout, and now a decent check. I've got my needs covered too well by other work to deal with the harassment and headache of FT work. They deserve their wages. But they don't have any right to lecture PT about putting in dues.
I disagree. You chose a path knowing your going to make far less. The easier less stressful path.

wilberforce15

$8.50 in 2004 has the same buying power as $11.50 in 2018. That's still meaningfully better than getting hired today.

$8.50 in 1985 has the same buying power as $20.27 in 2018.

So, any guy hired in 1985 can be quiet if I want the starting rate to go to $20.27. That's what he got. CPI Inflation Calculator

wilberforce15

Any FT person can lecture about putting in dues so long as they also advocate the starting rate be the same, in inflation-adjusted terms, as when they started.

brown_trousers

Just about every union job is a serious struggle until you become permanent full time. Ups is no different. The end goal is a full time job. Ever heard the term "paying your dues"
union jobs are not like that. I have many friends that work union jobs, many that are teamsters in other industries. They were all able to afford a basic living while "paying their dues" starting out in a union job. not a good living by any means, but a living nonetheless. It is shameful to us as teamsters that we would pay any teamster a wage comparable to mcdonalds or walmart

sandwich

The resident gearhead
union jobs are not like that. I have many friends that work union jobs, many that are teamsters in other industries. They were all able to afford a basic living while "paying their dues" starting out in a union job. not a good living by any means, but a living nonetheless. It is shameful to us as teamsters that we would pay any teamster a wage comparable to mcdonalds or walmart
Really........ those are dead end jobs with no chance of going full time to a high paying job. See the difference. The same crying about part time wages now will be the same ones crying about not making enough as full timers if they get their wish. Which you probably will via 2 tiered wage.