Part time poverty

sikidiki

I'm still in my first year driving, im barley making it. When i first started i would maybe get 2 days a week and no i dont live with my parents, i have rent to pay lol. Lately i have been doing 4 days a week which i love because i can actually start paying bills while having enough to eat. But pretty soon i will have most if not all of my bills paid and i can start banking some money. It was a risky move to quit a full time job 40+ hours a week at 14 dollars an hour, but i didnt want to be stuck at a dead end job with no raises, benefits or retirement. I suffered through the first year and without my parents i wouldn't have made it. UPS is a hard gig at first but im guessing once you start moving up and making top pay and experiencing all the BS and getting used to it, its not a bad job and you will be rich! Also it probably helps i dont have a family to support or kids yet. Just myself and my 2 cats.

Tony Q

How do you expect to hire quality employees at 10 bucks an hour to unload trucks at 3 in the morning for 3 hours a day? Ups scratches its head in confusion when they see the turnover rate and the demographic of workers they attract. Give us a raise, give us hours, or let us double shift regularly. Something has to change.
It will change in this next contract and there will be a lot of opportunities to go full time. One thing you need to realize is that if you only want to work one job, and it's a part-time job you will have to plan accordingly. Its hard to live on 4 or 5 hours a day.

Chaos

I Am The Devil
This whole argument is lame. The big bad vets are chastising the young fresh meat and the millennial response is you made more at inflation rate.

Here is some advice. Shut up and do your job. Those old guys that razz you have every right to, they earned it. As we all know history repeats itself...after you have paid your dues, you’ll soon find yourself the vet...and the next generation of crybaby B’s bitches will be getting the same deal from their peers.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Ummm. No. I have 3 jobs and barely break even. It's difficult to find any job that will be lenient with scheduling around the UPS shift. They all pay minimum wage.

The point is that there aren't enough hours in a day to work enough to cover basic expensis. This is why there is the problem at UPS turnover in the warehouse.

A higher starting wage would make it more realistic to get by with two jobs until one can earn their way up.

You don't get it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
How do you expect to hire quality employees at 10 bucks an hour to unload trucks at 3 in the morning for 3 hours a day? Ups scratches its head in confusion when they see the turnover rate and the demographic of workers they attract. Give us a raise, give us hours, or let us double shift regularly. Something has to change.
McDonalds is hiring at 12 bucks an hour.

stop thinking that someone else is the reason you are in poverty. grow up and do something about it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'm tired of all these young people complaining. I call then the "entitlement generation" . They want everything handed to them. If you were my kid , I would slap you.

My children are all grown . When anyone of them started complaining and making excuses for their lot in life I would tell them that excuses are for losers. There is opportunity everywhere in this country. In fact , I don't think there has been a better time in our countries history for opportunity.

Just like someone else mentioned , the Northwest is booming. That means UPS is probably booming in that area. A little while ago UPS was hiring feeder drivers off the street in Oregon. The chances for fast advancement is much higher in these boom areas. There are other places in the country that are booming, housing is affordable , etc.

Housing is cheap in certain areas if you just look. Good jobs are available in certain areas if you will just look. Opportunity is all around if you will just look. There are foreign students from China , India , and other places from all over the world that are laughing at Americans. They are still in school and running companies on their computers making more than some feeder drivers. I know a couple of these people. They say it is so easy to live and prosper in America.

Move to where the greatest opportunities are and stop complaining.

Hannah-banana

In
I'm tired of all these young people complaining. I call then the "entitlement generation" . They want everything handed to them. If you were my kid , I would slap you.

My children are all grown . When anyone of them started complaining and making excuses for their lot in life I would tell them that excuses are for losers. There is opportunity everywhere in this country. In fact , I don't think there has been a better time in our countries history for opportunity.

Just like someone else mentioned , the Northwest is booming. That means UPS is probably booming in that area. A little while ago UPS was hiring feeder drivers off the street in Oregon. The chances for fast advancement is much higher in these boom areas. There are other places in the country that are booming, housing is affordable , etc.

Housing is cheap in certain areas if you just look. Good jobs are available in certain areas if you will just look. Opportunity is all around if you will just look. There are foreign students from China , India , and other places from all over the world that are laughing at Americans. They are still in school and running companies on their computers making more than some feeder drivers. I know a couple of these people. They say it is so easy to live and prosper in America.

Move to where the greatest opportunities are and stop complaining.

I'm in the northwest. Cost of living is very high here. Look at the local job listings, they all pay minimum wage.

Do you live on minimum wage? Do you think we got the rights that we have in this country by just settling for unfair wages and bad conditions?

You are enjoying your career because people before you fought for it. The unions are still fighting for it. And so am I.

If you think McDonald's is so great, why do you work at UPS? Do you live on 12$ per hour? Yeah right.

So easy for people in good situations to tell people who are struggling how easy it is. Shame on you

Box Ox

You are enjoying your career because people before you fought for it.

She's retired. After working for years and not making excuses for herself.

Do you think everybody who went FT at UPS had high paying jobs handed to them on a silver platter while they were working up from low paying PT positions or something? It was :censored2:ing hard for most. Life can be :censored2:ing brutal. If the Pacific northwest is too expensive for you to live in, GTFO.

So easy for people in good situations to tell people who are struggling how easy it is. Shame on you

Do you really think tons of the folks on here can't relate to having :censored2:ing struggled for years?

Chaos

I Am The Devil
In

I'm in the northwest. Cost of living is very high here. Look at the local job listings, they all pay minimum wage.

Do you live on minimum wage? Do you think we got the rights that we have in this country by just settling for unfair wages and bad conditions?

You are enjoying your career because people before you fought for it. The unions are still fighting for it. And so am I.

If you think McDonald's is so great, why do you work at UPS? Do you live on 12$ per hour? Yeah right.

You make your own path in life, shame on you.

Not once did they say it was easy but foreigners of which they are associated said this.

That post simply says to open your eyes and look. Your cost of living high? Move else where, Your job market blows...well there are other places that have better ones. You’re complaining, whining. I work for X. I make okay money, no Benny’s ever. Moving over to brown for less money but in the long run will be worth it financially. I can’t afford to do this in the short term but I will make it work, I will be successful because the only one that can stop me is me.

Hannah-banana

Well, I'm off to bed. Another 12 hour day between 2 jobs starts tomorrow at 2:30am and ends after 6pm. If that's "entitlement" as you call it, I have no idea what you guys expect from anyone.

Hannah-banana

I respect the hard work people have done for what they have. Why not respect people who are doing the same thing you had to do?

Poor people can't just move around on a whim like that. I have only enough money to eat and sleep, barely. And I have lived in several states where the situation is the same.

We can't just run away, we have to turn around and fight. Asking for a couple bucks more per hour is not asking for any hand out. It's the same thing that has needed to happen over and over throughout labor history.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
In

this is the response i was expecting from someone like you.

you think i was born with a silver spoon in my mouth? everything we have i worked for. nothing came easy for us. hard work and lots of it. 2 jobs sometimes. 3 jobs sometimes. hard times . almost everyone has hard times but it's funny the harder i worked the luckier i got.

I'm part of the generation ( I'm old ) that fought for a lot of rights many of you take for granted . My career with UPS was never a bed of roses. Just like they say that Freedom is not free , we never have nor never will take anything for granted.

anything worth having is worth working and fighting for. always has been that way and always will.

Yes , I am enjoying my retirement after working over 40 years for all sorts of different companies. my last 23 with UPS. I want UPSers to get a strong contract but I don't want you think that your suffering is unique. We old timers have all been there.

It's tough love to tell you to grow up and take responsibility for your lives. A good swift kick in the ass never hurt anybody.

I respect the hard work people have done for what they have. Why not respect people who are doing the same thing you had to do?

Poor people can't just move around on a whim like that. I have only enough money to eat and sleep, barely. And I have lived in several states where the situation is the same.

We can't just run away, we have to turn around and fight. Asking for a couple bucks more per hour is not asking for any hand out. It's the same thing that has needed to happen over and over throughout labor history.
I understand your pain but you know what this job was paying before you started here

Hannah-banana

this is the response i was expecting from someone like you.

you think i was born with a silver spoon in my mouth? everything we have i worked for. nothing came easy for us. hard work and lots of it. 2 jobs sometimes. 3 jobs sometimes. hard times . almost everyone has hard times but it's funny the harder i worked the luckier i got.

I'm part of the generation ( I'm old ) that fought for a lot of rights many of you take for granted . My career with UPS was never a bed of roses. Just like they say that Freedom is not free , we never have nor never will take anything for granted.

anything worth having is worth working and fighting for. always has been that way and always will.

Yes , I am enjoying my retirement after working over 40 years for all sorts of different companies. my last 23 with UPS. I want UPSers to get a strong contract but I don't want you think that your suffering is unique. We old timers have all been there.

It's tough love to tell you to grow up and take responsibility for your lives. A good swift kick in the ass never hurt anybody.

I have respect for you and all of my elders. I apologize for being rude. I did not mean to imply that you were born with a silver spoon.

I am a fellow adult, not your kid. You won't be slapping me. I don't see where you are getting this idea that I'm not working my ass off just the same. I chose a union job because I can have a voice and not just work for peanuts.

Why is my generation standing up for ourselves any different from what your generation did? Or those before?

I won't accept any more insults, just because you are older than me. I work 12 hours everyday. I am a fellow adult .