Part time poverty

wilberforce15

I'll never lose an argument because it's so plainly true.

I have yet to see a 30 year guy recognize in plain words that he started at twice my rate. It makes all their whining about young guys null and void.

wilberforce15

Faded jeans, I'm in better financial shape than every full timer I know. I've got six months in the bank and a paid off house with four young kids. I'm not whining about me. The hypocrisy and hazing form the old guys is just disgusting. They start new guys at half their first day's pay and then call them bums.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
When did you start?

And I don't need a mortgage. I paid my house off a while ago, because I haven't spent a single dime of any money I've ever earned at UPS in 12 years.

The point is that you got an awful lot more money than the people you're claiming are entitled.
No. It wasn't. I'm talking about their first day on the job.

A guy who started in 1985 got a higher hourly rate on his very first day than a guy who has been here a decade now.

The 1985 wage was about $20/hr if you adjust for inflation. It takes 10 years to get to that rate now.

I've worked 12 years to get barely over what used to get paid on the very first day of work.
I'll never lose an argument because it's so plainly true.

I have yet to see a 30 year guy recognize in plain words that he started at twice my rate. It makes all their whining about young guys null and void.

Hey Donkey
You keep preaching about what pay was 20 years ago. Double you say?
Wow, wish it felt like that.
I guess I didn't need to work at that gas station at minimum wage.
Oh, and that hospital job I had, I should have afforded not to clean garbage cans and serve food at the cafeteria at 6 bucks an hour.
Damn, all those summers at the golf course wasted working every hour I could. Should have invested in Apple with all that extra cash.

Wake up from Fantasyland.
You never cashed a check at UPS ? What's normal about that.
That health care you obviously are there for is 4-5 X more expensive than when I was part time.
I don't see that in any of your math !!!!!!

Part time is meant for students and second-job hunters.

old levi's

blank space
Faded jeans, I'm in better financial shape than every full timer I know. I've got six months in the bank and a paid off house with four young kids. I'm not whining about me. The hypocrisy and hazing form the old guys is just disgusting. They start new guys at half their first day's pay and then call them bums.

Did I quote you, at any point in this thread?

wilberforce15

I didn't say I've never cashed a check from ups. I said I've never spent it. It paid off my house a long time ago and gave me six months in the bank while I live off of other work. I'm no stranger to long days.

8.50 in the 80s is 20.00 now and your stories don't change that. And what if I'm wrong by a mile and it's really 16? That's silly, because it is worth 20 now, but even then the old guys should have no criticism for new guys doing less work and whining when there is so much less pay.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I didn't say I've never cashed a check from ups. I said I've never spent it. It paid off my house a long time ago and gave me six months in the bank while I live off of other work. I'm no stranger to long days.

8.50 in the 80s is 20.00 now and your stories don't change that. And what if I'm wrong by a mile and it's really 16? That's silly, because it is worth 20 now, but even then the old guys should have no criticism for new guys doing less work and whining when there is so much less pay.

How much more is Healthcare from 30 years ago to today ??
Keep dancing around the subject !!

wilberforce15

How much more is health care today? An awful lot more. That didn't keep full timers from keeping up with inflation.

And even if that accounts for the entire difference in part time pay rates, it still means part timers are receiving half of what others used to receive in cash. Maybe health care costs mean that's not the unions fault. That would be a fine argument. But it still means you can't taunt people for doing less work for half the pay oldies got.

wilberforce15

Box ox, he's wrong and likes to talk about entitlement and how easy it is. I'm giving him that. It is more work, but I'm just seeing if he accepts the validity of math.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
How much more is health care today? An awful lot more. That didn't keep full timers from keeping up with inflation.

And even if that accounts for the entire difference in part time pay rates, it still means part timers are receiving half of what others used to receive in cash. Maybe health care costs mean that's not the unions fault. That would be a fine argument. But it still means you can't taunt people for doing less work for half the pay oldies got.
Part timers put in HALF the contributions and hours for healthcare that I as a FTer do, BUT WE GET THE SAME PACKAGE
How fair is that ??

Also sorry to burn you, but contract negotiations are going to take care of the guy that's been here 25 years over the the guy that just started.

wilberforce15

They used to take care of the guy who just started. Thats my point.

Don't ever complain about part timers not joining, not filing, not staying, or whining about poverty, because you made that happen. The guys before you took care of your starting rate. What did you do for the guy after you?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
They used to take care of the guy who just started. Thats my point.

Don't ever complain about part timers not joining, not filing, not staying, or whining about poverty, because you made that happen. The guys before you took care of your starting rate. What did you do for the guy after you?

MORE FT JOBS

wilberforce15

Lol. Caps don't make your point better.

The increase in ft jobs was great. It also still means you can't say anything to guys who don't join, don't file, don't show up, or don't work, when you're giving them 5-10 years in which they'll never reach your starting wage

wilberforce15

It's not a bad deal, depending on what you want. It's still a good job for the right guy. It work well for me.

It's not a bad deal. But it is a terrible deal compared to what the old guys got.

wilberforce15

I love my job. It's great for me.

You just need to recognize that young guys are getting a fraction of what you did, and take that into account when you talk about their work ethic or complaints.

Box Ox

You just need to recognize that young guys are getting a fraction of what you did

What’s up with the obsession over recognition by the older guys? I’m an elder Millenial and bring up the higher stop counts and doubled weight limit when the old timers talk about how wimpy kids these days are when they complain about the modern UPS workload. But it’s not like an overwhelming injustice that must be righted for me.