Part time poverty

El Correcto

god is dead
You need to invest your part time check wisely if you want to make ups your only job.
scarfacecocaine-785519.jpg

wilberforce15

What’s up with the obsession over recognition by the older guys? I’m an elder Millenial and bring up the higher stop counts and doubled weight limit when the old timers talk about how wimpy kids these days are when they complain about the modern UPS workload. But it’s not like an overwhelming injustice that must be righted for me.

You will soon reach their same pay rate. That makes it friendly banter. But a guy making $100k talking about guys making under $10k gives that same conversation a bit of an edge to it.

The older guys not recognizing what's happening with the younger is why a guy can work 10 years and still take home less than the old guy on his very first day. The ignorance of the old guys is used to perpetuate the crappy pay and such for new guys, which is the kind of thing that will eventually divide and weaken the union, and thus be bad for all of us.

Even getting one to recognize "Yeah, I took home a lot more cash than these guys do" is like pulling teeth from an alligator. Very little good will happen long-term for the union when old guys look at part-timers with disdain and contempt.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
I sincerely hope the pay is raised for the part timers. I truly do. But I have no control over what a dollar was worth then to now. Can't tell you how many times I heard Granpa say he used to buy 3 white castles for nickel. Damnit why can't I get that deal now? This younger workforce does have more warts than my generation. That's not to say they aren't worth more. You can't live off of this job as a part timer though. I think that is fairly obvious.

wilberforce15

I sincerely hope the pay is raised for the part timers. I truly do. But I have no control over what a dollar was worth then to now. Can't tell you how many times I heard Granpa say he used to buy 3 white castles for nickel. Damnit why can't I get that deal now? This younger workforce does have more warts than my generation. That's not to say they aren't worth more. You can't live off of this job as a part timer though. I think that is fairly obvious.

Driver wages kept up with inflation. The only thing I'm asking is that part timers also keep up with inflation. I'm not asking for a "raise." I'm literally asking for the same thing the old timers already got on their first days.

If the cash portion of compensation kept up with inflation, it would be 20/hr to start right now. Even asking for $15/hr is a give back.

Hannah-banana

You realize that ups would most likely offer a signing bonus and a raise to current full timers to vote in a lower top rate for you guys. In trade for a higher starting wage. You can argue all you want. But that's how negotiation works. Current top rate full timers will not be affected. In fact there will probably be incentives to vote in a 2 tier wage. You guys will be shooting yourselves in the foot. We are trying to stop you from that. Stop looking short term. UNLESS ups willingly offers up and increased starting wage without concessions. But do you really think that's going to happen.
You realize that ups would most likely offer a signing bonus and a raise to current full timers to vote in a lower top rate for you guys. In trade for a higher starting wage. You can argue all you want. But that's how negotiation works. Current top rate full timers will not be affected. In fact there will probably be incentives to vote in a 2 tier wage. You guys will be shooting yourselves in the foot. We are trying to stop you from that. Stop looking short term. UNLESS ups willingly offers up and increased starting wage without concessions. But do you really think that's going to happen.

Good info, thank you. I don't really consider myself to be only thinking short term though. Just trying to keep afloat and stay alive.

Many people start at UPS as adults with bills and responsibilities already. If I was starting as a teenager still living with my parents, it wouldn't matter.

Good info, thank you. I don't really consider myself to be only thinking short term though. Just trying to keep afloat and stay alive.

Many people start at UPS as adults with bills and responsibilities already. If I was starting as a teenager still living with my parents, it wouldn't matter.
Unfortunately this job isn't good to start off as an adult unless you can be dependent on a spouse or parents to help you out until you can make the big bucks.

Hannah-banana

Driver wages kept up with inflation. The only thing I'm asking is that part timers also keep up with inflation. I'm not asking for a "raise." I'm literally asking for the same thing the old timers already got on their first days.

If the cash portion of compensation kept up with inflation, it would be 20/hr to start right now. Even asking for $15/hr is a give back.

Yes exactly. Us lowly warehouse people don't deserve to live under a bridge!

Hannah-banana

Unfortunately this job isn't good to start off as an adult unless you can be dependent on a spouse or parents to help you out until you can make the big bucks.

Yeah, that would be nice. But I'm going for it unless I can think of something better.

I'm 33. I worked in agriculture for a decade and loved it. But I topped out at 13$ with no benefits, no retirement. Got tired of poverty and love union history. So here I am.

KOG72

I’m full of it
Yeah, that would be nice. But I'm going for it unless I can think of something better.

I'm 33. I worked in agriculture for a decade and loved it. But I topped out at 13$ with no benefits, no retirement. Got tired of poverty and love union history. So here I am.
Hang in there it will come,we all started at the bottom one time or another.90k plus is nothing to pass on.

You ate still young and have time on your side

Do you wanna be a driver? That's where the money is at

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I tell everybody the same thing. UPS is a grind, even the full time package drivers are busting their ass in their first years for crap pay considering.

You’re still busting your ass on top rate, but the pay check makes it a little sweeter.

If you don’t want to start at the bottom of the ladder and work hard, stick things out and deal with some bs on the way...then UPS is not the company for you. You also can’t really live off a p/t salary pretty much anywhere.

P/t is designed for people with regular jobs or students. If you want part time at UPS, Air Drive.

Hannah-banana

It is a PART TIME JOB.

Why is that so hard to understand.

PTers be like I want to buy a house pay me more money and give me a FT job.
Entitlement is rampant

Ummm. No. I have 3 jobs and barely break even. It's difficult to find any job that will be lenient with scheduling around the UPS shift. They all pay minimum wage.

The point is that there aren't enough hours in a day to work enough to cover basic expensis. This is why there is the problem at UPS turnover in the warehouse.

A higher starting wage would make it more realistic to get by with two jobs until one can earn their way up.