Part-time supervisor battling with Integrity in the unload.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Oh don't leave us in such suspense. Just tag it in another thread where you rehash the same topic 5 times.

To all,

For discussion:

A newly promoted idealistic unload part-time supervisor desires to fight with Integrity in his operation.

He recognizes that this is a battle he will probably not win but he has decided to stand by his integrity even if it costs him his job.

He has decided that to establish credibility in his area he must make safety and package handling the priorities respectively.

Egress and package care are going to be the elements that he addresses first because he has identified these as the elements that are most chronically violated and can be deemed least best.

His plan will unfold as follows:

He will PCM his entire operation and he will inform them of his plan and follow up with instructing them as to what is expected of them by UPS training in regards to egress and package handling compliance.

He fully intends to apply progressive discipline to each of his unloaders that fail to take him seriously and fail to do what is expected of them.

Well, as you probably know, as soon as the PCM is over and the sort begins it isn't 5 minutes before he sees violations.

It is actually so bad that every one of his unloaders in his area are in violation of both elements chronically throughout the evening.

He wants to immediately address this issue and his full-time sup is not real supportive and a bit angry about the lack of flow coming from the unload but he proceeds to get the shop steward to address the issue anyway.

He goes door to door with the shop steward and reviews the situation with each unloader and gives them a courtesy heads up that the next infraction will have to be a verbal warning of more significant discipline and that this conversation will be document in their file.

His operation was a mess, the flow was horrible, everyone was mad, (his unloaders, the shop steward, his full-time sup and the preload manager) and it only gets worse.

What do you think happens next?

Sincerely,
I
Jackburton,

Feel free to join the ranks of productive contributor to the discussion.

You don't always have to be a detractor.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Assuming what you said is 100% perfect, the PT supervisor should have a long talk with his boss.Good thought. His goals aren't wrong, but he tried to go from 0 to 100 overnight. That's just stupid. It would be virtually impossible for anyone to completely change what people do in one night and expect it to go smoothly. Change at UPS is never smooth.
The PCM was fine, guys I want us to concentrate on egress to make the work environement safe for all of us. etc etc etc.
The first night, he could have identified the least best employee and t/w him. No shop steward, just a t/w and w/w to ensure he reduced (not necessarily got to 100% perfect on egress the first night). Each day work on maintaining what you gained from the prior day and improve a bit more that day. Egress is a compliance issue and a condition of employment, the sup in this example is maintaining a zero tolerance to this issue. He is willing to give a little more leeway before firing someone over package care, but not much.

You may think this isn't integrity since the first day\week\month that I let egress issues continue or other elements. Agreed. I counter that I don't know of anyone good enough to go that far that fast. You either do it or don't. It is that simple. Also, as a new person comes into area, make sure they are trained with egress in mind and accept nothing but 100% on the new person. (They don't have the bad habit, so there's nothing that needs to be fixed, just don't let it get broken on them).Will do. If this sup continues on this path I think he will be need some new people soon. Eventually, egress issues will be a thing of the past and I can work on the next problem while ensuring I don't let egress issues come back.

The way the PT supervisor did it was ridiculous and a recipe for failure. ?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Jackburton,

Feel free to join the ranks of productive contributor to the discussion.

You don't always have to be a detractor.

Sincerely,
I
Perhaps you should look at yourself to be a productive contributor considering you never offer any solutions, just more questions to rehash. Feel free to count the question marks in your responses, I'm sure you'll find them exceeding anyone else's posts.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Perhaps you should look at yourself to be a productive contributor considering you never offer any solutions, never is an untrue statement just more questions to rehash.I take it you don't like questions, I do. Feel free to count the question marks in your responses, No thank you. I do not wish to spend anymore time on this site. I am very comfortable with the amount that I spend here, anymore and I might be pushing my comfort level.I'm sure you'll find them exceeding anyone else's posts.Maybe, maybe not. Feel free to do the research and get back to me if you would like.

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all,

For discussion:

A newly promoted idealistic unload part-time supervisor desires to fight with Integrity in his operation.

He recognizes that this is a battle he will probably not win but he has decided to stand by his integrity even if it costs him his job.

He has decided that to establish credibility in his area he must make safety and package handling the priorities respectively.

Egress and package care are going to be the elements that he addresses first because he has identified these as the elements that are most chronically violated and can be deemed least best.

He will PCM his entire operation and he will inform them of his plan and follow up with instructing them as to what is expected of them by UPS training in regards to egress and package handling compliance.

He fully intends to apply progressive discipline to each of his unloaders that fail to take him seriously and fail to do what is expected of them.

Well, as you probably know, as soon as the PCM is over and the sort begins it isn't 5 minutes before he sees violations.

It is actually so bad that every one of his unloaders in his area are in violation of both elements chronically throughout the evening.

He wants to immediately address this issue and his full-time sup is not real supportive and a bit angry about the lack of flow coming from the unload but he proceeds to get the shop steward to address the issue anyway.

He goes door to door with the shop steward and reviews the situation with each unloader and gives them a courtesy heads up that the next infraction will have to be a verbal warning of more significant discipline and that this conversation will be document in their file.

His operation was a mess, the flow was horrible, everyone was mad, (his unloaders, the shop steward, his full-time sup and the preload manager) and it only gets worse.

Sincerely,
I

To all,

After the operation the part-time supervisor took a lot of heat for the flow to the belts.

He explained his goals to his full-time supervisor and the full-timer said "I get that, but you have to do what it takes to keep up the flow".

The full-time supervisor didn't say egress failures and package care failures were a way of life but the part-time sup felt that he was trying to say just this.

The part-time sup knew it was a way of life because it is and has been a way of life there as long as he has been working there. (Except when they are covering up daily practices for audit purposes)

This was in fact the way of life (culture) that he was determined to change for the good of all UPS.

The next day the part-time sup was cautious over the heat that he took yesterday but after observing failures in both egress and package care by each and every one of his unloaders he was compelled to take action.

He contacts his full-time sup and explains the situation and tells him He wants to immediately address this issue and his full-time sup is not supportive at all he is also very angry about the lack of flow coming from the unload but he proceeds to get the shop steward to address the issue anyway.

He goes door to door with the shop steward and reviews the situation with each unloader and gives them a verbal warning that failure to correct these elements of their job will lead to further discipline up to and including discharge from the company.

His operation was again a mess, the flow was horrible, everyone was really mad, (his unloaders, the shop steward, his full-time sup and the preload manager), much madder than yesterday.

Sincerely,
I

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
To all,

After the operation the part-time supervisor took a lot of heat for the flow to the belts.

He explained his goals to his full-time supervisor and the full-timer said "I get that, but you have to do what it takes to keep up the flow".

The full-time supervisor didn't say egress failures and package care failures were a way of life but the part-time sup felt that he was trying to say just this.

The part-time sup knew it was a way of life because it is and has been a way of life there as long as he has been working there. (Except when they are covering up daily practices for audit purposes)

This was in fact the way of life (culture) that he was determined to change for the good of all UPS.

The next day the part-time sup was cautious over the heat that he took yesterday but after observing failures in both egress and package care by each and every one of his unloaders he was compelled to take action.

He contacts his full-time sup and explains the situation and tells him He wants to immediately address this issue and his full-time sup is not supportive at all he is also very angry about the lack of flow coming from the unload but he proceeds to get the shop steward to address the issue anyway.

He goes door to door with the shop steward and reviews the situation with each unloader and gives them a verbal warning that failure to correct these elements of their job will lead to further discipline up to and including discharge from the company.

His operation was again a mess, the flow was horrible, everyone was really mad, (his unloaders, the shop steward, his full-time sup and the preload manager), much madder than yesterday.

Sincerely,
I
Part time sup is formally disciplined or moved. And tell me, hypothetically, if part time sup didn't attempt to correct egress issues, what would full time sup have to say when an employee gets injured as a result of an egress issue??

Integrity

Binge Poster
Part time sup is formally disciplined or moved. And tell me, hypothetically, if part time sup didn't attempt to correct egress issues, what would full time sup have to say when an employee gets injured as a result of an egress issue??
bleedinbrown58,

Part time sup is formally disciplined or moved. Disciplined? On what grounds. And tell me, hypothetically, if part time sup didn't attempt to correct egress issues, what would full time sup have to say when an employee gets injured as a result of an egress issue?? I would have to say that the employee would get a warning letter for getting injured but the company would try to claim that the warning letter is not for the injury, the warning letter is for not following UPS safety training and methods.

Sincerely,
I

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Possible discipline for interfering with production, sort running too long, etc. I'm not saying that I BELIEVE the part time sup is doing anything wrong. But in the eyes of production, moves boxes from point A to point B....that's all management cares about....until something happens. Example, an employee gets injured.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Possible discipline for interfering with production, sort running too long, etc. I'm not saying that I BELIEVE the part time sup is doing anything wrong. But in the eyes of production, moves boxes from point A to point B....that's all management cares about....until something happens. Example, an employee gets injured.
bleedinbrown58,

Obviously this management person cares about more than just production.

Don't forget on audit days, the big cover up is almost as important as production on these days.

Sincerely,
I

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
bleedinbrown58,

Obviously this management person cares about more than just production.

Don't forget on audit days, the big cover up is almost as important as production on these days.

Sincerely,
I

Audit days are the biggest ass clown shows. Don't stack on the slide, don't walk on the belts....okay sup then who's going to break my jams?

balland chain

To all,

For discussion:

Sincerely,
I
It is all the same at UPS, they want us to follow the methods when we are being watched, or there is an audit.. It is a typical dog and pony show.. and it always will be. MY hat is off to that Part time sup for following the rules, but as we all know, he will be fired because with the volume inside the buildings, and package cars, you can not follow methods, and follow all their safety rules and get the job done in their " allotted " time. He will be gone within a week..

Integrity

Binge Poster
Audit days are the biggest ass clown shows. Don't stack on the slide, don't walk on the belts....okay sup then who's going to break my jams?
bleedinbrown58,

Big companies would like us to view these audit times as shows, clown shows, dog and pony shows but the truth is they are much more diabolical than shows.

The special advance preparation prior to the audit and the "by the book behavior" exhibited on these audit days and the subsequent report back to whoever is conducting the audit is nothing short of deception.

It covers up how the business actually runs on a day to day basis so that false information can be recorded on the audit results and reported back to those evaluating the audits.

This covers up the Workplace culture employees are exposed to on a day to day, chronic and long term basis. This is wrong.

Sincerely,
I

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
bleedinbrown58,

Big companies would like us to view these audit times as shows, clown shows, dog and pony shows but the truth is they are much more diabolical than shows.

The special advance preparation prior to the audit and the "by the book behavior" exhibited on these audit days and the subsequent report back to whoever is conducting the audit is nothing short of deception.

It covers up how the business actually runs on a day to day basis so that false information can be recorded on the audit results and reported back to those evaluating the audits.

This covers up the Workplace culture employees are exposed to on a day to day, chronic and long term basis. This is wrong.

Sincerely,
I
I agree, it is wrong.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
But lots of things are wrong, Integrity. How does a hub pass an OSHA inspection when there's no kind of ventilation system in place, and 300 packages cars engines are running inside a building by 9am daily?

Integrity

Binge Poster
It is all the same at UPS, they want us to follow the methods when we are being watched, or there is an audit.. It is a typical dog and pony show.. and it always will be. MY hat is off to that Part time sup for following the rules, but as we all know, he will be fired because with the volume inside the buildings, and package cars, you can not follow methods, and follow all their safety rules and get the job done in their " allotted " time. He will be gone within a week..
balland chain,

Is this an accurate assessment of what you are telling me.

1. UPS only really care if we follow the methods when being watched or audited.

2. You believe that this Part-time supervisors job is threatened because he wants to make a safety element and package care priority over production.

3. You believe it is impossible to follow the job and safety methods and get the job done in their allotted time.

Are employees in your area getting warning letters as a result of reporting injuries?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
But lots of things are wrong, Integrity. How does a hub pass an OSHA inspection when there's no kind of ventilation system in place, and 300 packages cars engines are running inside a building by 9am daily?
bleedinbrown58,

I would need more details about this OSHA inspection to evaluate this.

You can PM me the details.

Was this inspection the result of a formal complaint?

Air quality violations and complaints are usually very difficult to deal with.

Sincerely,
I