Part time workers

Labelflipper

New to forum, wondering why I see alot of negative comments regarding part time people. Don't know why this is.
Can someone please explain.

I'm part time, 2.5 years now, because it fits with my life right now. No, I don't live in my parent's basement, I'm not taken care of, I pay my own way and all that other stuff. I'm not at UPS to make a fortune, I live within my means, the health benefits are awesome and am very grateful for them cuz most part time jobs don't offer benefits.

The pay cut to $15 per hour was a shock however, cuz believe it or not, most of us were not informed, and whether or not it is in the contract, I and several other part timers where I work were never informed anything like this could ever happen. I thought I was doing good at UPS with the MRA's we received, but never knew it could be taken away at a moment's notice, and, if I would have known, I wouldn't have counted on it. Seems funny though how UPS has made record profits and feels it needs to take our MRA away now, when everything is chaos with Covid, inflation, housing, and all the crap going on in the world now. Sorry, but UPS is being very greedy, not looking out for everyone that made them their record breaking profits.

I think a huge problem at UPS, is that new people are not informed enough about the Union and the contract and all that they do. The only thing I knew in my first days, was I had to have 70 working days, then I could join, and I counted down the days, and joined. It wasn't until more than several months later that a Union Steward joined our dept and went to us and explained how everything worked. If he wouldn't have joined our dept., I wouldn't know anything more than what I did when I first joined. With that said, yes, I did go around asking people about it before he showed up, but nobody seemed to know anything....that was very weird.

There are also alot of comments about part timers not voting. I think it's because most of them aren't informed about the Union, and how important it is. It may just be here, cuz we are a RTW state, I don't know. I know I will be voting on the next contract, and plan to talk to part timers about voting.

Sorry so long for a first post...I'm sure I will get flack from it, LOL. It's ok, wanted to get my thoughts out with you all and say not all part timers are crappy and some of us do care.

542thruNthru

New to forum, wondering why I see alot of negative comments regarding part time people. Don't know why this is.
Most of the negative comments you see from people are just trolling. The others are because people like to have someone to blame and PTers usually get that honor when voter turn out is poor.

I'm part time, 2.5 years now, because it fits with my life right now. No, I don't live in my parent's basement, I'm not taken care of, I pay my own way and all that other stuff. I'm not at UPS to make a fortune, I live within my means, the health benefits are awesome and am very grateful for them cuz most part time jobs don't offer benefits.

The pay cut to $15 per hour was a shock however, cuz believe it or not, most of us were not informed, and whether or not it is in the contract, I and several other part timers where I work were never informed anything like this could ever happen. I thought I was doing good at UPS with the MRA's we received, but never knew it could be taken away at a moment's notice, and, if I would have known, I wouldn't have counted on it. Seems funny though how UPS has made record profits and feels it needs to take our MRA away now, when everything is chaos with Covid, inflation, housing, and all the crap going on in the world now. Sorry, but UPS is being very greedy, not looking out for everyone that made them their record breaking profits.

I think a huge problem at UPS, is that new people are not informed enough about the Union and the contract and all that they do. The only thing I knew in my first days, was I had to have 70 working days, then I could join, and I counted down the days, and joined. It wasn't until more than several months later that a Union Steward joined our dept and went to us and explained how everything worked. If he wouldn't have joined our dept., I wouldn't know anything more than what I did when I first joined. With that said, yes, I did go around asking people about it before he showed up, but nobody seemed to know anything....that was very weird.

There are also alot of comments about part timers not voting. I think it's because most of them aren't informed about the Union, and how important it is. It may just be here, cuz we are a RTW state, I don't know. I know I will be voting on the next contract, and plan to talk to part timers about voting.

Sorry so long for a first post...I'm sure I will get flack from it, LOL. It's ok, wanted to get my thoughts out with you all and say not all part timers are crappy and some of us do care.
Welcome to Brown Cafe. Hope you stick around and continue to learn about what's going on at UPS and the Union.

Labelflipper

Most of the negative comments you see from people are just trolling. The others are because people like to have someone to blame and PTers usually get that honor when voter turn out is poor.

Welcome to Brown Cafe. Hope you stick around and continue to learn about what's going on at UPS and the Union.
Thank you!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
13EC2DEC-FADC-40C0-8F47-8F8A797E1D72.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I’am just wondering how you live on $300ish a week

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
There's negative comments towards everyone here.

Some have broad shoulders...

Some cry about it.

No, a lot cry.

But...

If your situation works for you then you have no reason to explain it to anyone.

It works out....don't get to have everything I want all the time, but have enough for everything I need. It's not a glamorous life, but I'm happy.
Bingo.

But sheeeeeesh

Labelflipper

$40 an hour isn’t appealing young man ?
We only want people in it for the long haul. If you don’t want to be a driver then it’s time to go.
✊🧔
Yes, $40 an hours is appealing, but I'm not that young and I'm not a man.......delivered for another off beat company before I came to UPS, not something I would like to do again. It was less stops than UPS does, but had to sort and load my own stuff. Warehouse is better for me for the long haul, not time to go. What would you guys do without us?? LOL!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Yes, $40 an hours is appealing, but I'm not that young and I'm not a man.......delivered for another off beat company before I came to UPS, not something I would like to do again. It was less stops than UPS does, but had to sort and load my own stuff. Warehouse is better for me for the long haul, not time to go. What would you guys do without us?? LOL!!
How Hott are ya honey, before we go any farther