PAS Affect On Cover Drivers?

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm a cover driver and I really only know two routes. I know bits and pieces of some other routes because when I'm not on a full route I'll get a truck loaded with different parts of several routes and maybe a bulk stop or two. I was wondering how PAS (which we don't have yet) would affect this. Does this still go on in centers with PAS? Wouldn't pulling stops off routes that are already prerecorded in the DIAD really screw up the drivers day and his "trace" and all that?

disneyworld

No,the PAS system with insert the splits in proper order.But only if the dispatch sup knows what he's doing and this is almost never the case.

btcmrico

I'm a cover driver and I really only know two routes. I know bits and pieces of some other routes because when I'm not on a full route I'll get a truck loaded with different parts of several routes and maybe a bulk stop or two. I was wondering how PAS (which we don't have yet) would affect this. Does this still go on in centers with PAS? Wouldn't pulling stops off routes that are already prerecorded in the DIAD really screw up the drivers day and his "trace" and all that?

I am going to try to answer your question, about PAS and the fears many providers have. Bottom line is accountability. I don't know if you may have heard about "Contolled Dispatch" or Loop Principles...but we have those types of controls in place to help minimize miles and travel time.
Service Providers sometimes backtrack way too much, so we want to eliminate that as well. In the Gulf South District (Louisiana & Mississippi) we would like for our drivers to deliver 80% in Trace, they other remaining percentage we give to the driver as an allowance to break off trace.

For example, if there's a school in your delivery area and they have a pick up scheduled for 4:00...you can break off trace to get that. EDD (Enhanced DIAD Download) is awesome. You will know exactly how you will stand (Stop by Stop). And, you will know if something was misloaded on the car.
Ask your supervisor to provide you a copy of the Service Provider Delivery and Pickup Methods with EDD. If you're cool with a P/T Supervisor or OMS, get them to print this off of I-Gate.

I hope this helps you. Let me know what happens next. And, you might want to keep the info disclosed in this e-mail confidential. I wish you luck.

btcmrico
IE Supervisor
06/71
:thumbup1:

disneyworld

I am going to try to answer your question, about PAS and the fears many providers have. Bottom line is accountability. I don't know if you may have heard about "Contolled Dispatch" or Loop Principles...but we have those types of controls in place to help minimize miles and travel time.
Service Providers sometimes backtrack way too much, so we want to eliminate that as well. In the Gulf South District (Louisiana & Mississippi) we would like for our drivers to deliver 80% in Trace, they other remaining percentage we give to the driver as an allowance to break off trace.

For example, if there's a school in your delivery area and they have a pick up scheduled for 4:00...you can break off trace to get that. EDD (Enhanced DIAD Download) is awesome. You will know exactly how you will stand (Stop by Stop). And, you will know if something was misloaded on the car.
Ask your supervisor to provide you a copy of the Service Provider Delivery and Pickup Methods with EDD. If you're cool with a P/T Supervisor or OMS, get them to print this off of I-Gate.

I hope this helps you. Let me know what happens next. And, you might want to keep the info disclosed in this e-mail confidential. I wish you luck.

btcmrico
IE Supervisor
06/71
No it is not awesome and no you don't know when there is a misload on your truck. You still have to sort by hand and look at every label. How long did you drive,30 days?

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
This is the system, that you can take any maroon off the street, teach him for thirty minutes and he can magically run a route???:lol:

Whatever..

Overpaid Union Thug

So if 30 stops are taken off of a driver and delivered by someone else what does the driver that originally had the stops do with those stops in EDD? Just skip them? What if the driver doesn't know exactly what is taken off? Does he end up looking for packages that arent there?

disneyworld

The dispatch sup does an add/cut and they are all supposed to be "add/cut to/from your route.But it still comes down to preload getting all the pkgs that are supposed to be moved. Your diad is only supposed to have what is on your vehicle.of course you will have some pkgs missing or some that are on your vehicle but not in edd.and yes you will end up wasting time looking for phantom pkgs.Just be ready for a nightmare.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

If they decide to pull 30 stops off someone at like 8:15am to give to a cover driver (or anyone) won't the DIAD for the route they pulled from still have the stops in it?

ups79

bigarrow:I think you worry way to much. I doubt you will ever retire from UPS by the way you worry now. How many days driving do you have so far?

mittam

what a load of crap as it is going PAS will be the downfall of UPS, it is the greatest idea ever for our drivers until IE got a hold of it and screwed our eyeballs out, you must live in a dream world to think pas is great, not to run anyone down but I have talked to people all over the country and it is the same everywhere

OldUPSDriver

not to run anyone down but I have talked to people all over the country and it is the same everywhere[/quote]

Have you spoke with anyone from the Reno Nv area??

mittam

not yet but willing to anyone there like pas had their route changed been on a route 25 years and bumped off because pas relooped all the routes and an older guy bumped him, I truly believe this could be good but the way it has gone we run more stops more miles and have less allowance on time people that were scratch are anywhere from 75- 175 over now, if it is good elsewhere please let me know how it was successfull there, I'm not meaning to sound pissy about it but ut has been a disaster here any help would be appreciated

mittam

If they decide to pull 30 stops off someone at like 8:15am to give to a cover driver (or anyone) won't the DIAD for the route they pulled from still have the stops in it?

no the stops won't show as long as you reget edd in your board you download it each day before you start and hopefully after preload is finished,I usually get it downloaded as soon as i get there and then right after morning PCm to get it the added or pulled splits into or out of the board that part works well, it is also good to have all the stops in the board and how many pcs for that stop but thats where a lot of the good ends, it automatically will miss arrange roads and stops from day to day. but the diad will only have in it what was there when you downloaded it in morning

ups79

mittam:I bet if you bitch enough apwa will force UPS to get rid of pas. This has to be another of their promises.

wornoutupser

no the stops won't show as long as you reget edd in your board you download it each day before you start and hopefully after preload is finished,I usually get it downloaded as soon as i get there and then right after morning PCm to get it the added or pulled splits into or out of the board that part works well, it is also good to have all the stops in the board and how many pcs for that stop but thats where a lot of the good ends, it automatically will miss arrange roads and stops from day to day. but the diad will only have in it what was there when you downloaded it in morning

THE PRELOAD IS FINISHED????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AND WE ARE NOT ON PAS YET!!!!!!

wornoutupser

Ok, here is the scoop-
Our preload sup is not allowed to plan or run the sort, he is only allowed to do what Orlando says.
IE has dictated a flow that is beyond what our belts will physically carry- the belts go off constantly.
The flow stacks up at the end, frustrating everyone in the building because the drivers end up re-sorting the mess in the morning.
Then we get to leave around 9:30 to 10:00 and we have 12:00 airs on extended runs that are blown out because IE says we do not need any more runs that day.

Anyone sense a pattern here?

wornoutupser

Oh yeah- Fed Ex passes us on the road as we drive to work in the morning. They beat us to our customers by over an hour each day. Dont forget to fill out that lead card!

mittam

mittam:I bet if you bitch enough apwa will force UPS to get rid of pas. This has to be another of their promises.

actually if it sounds that way I apologize I think pas could be a great thing, it just needs to be implemented a whole lot better than it has been,
they need to not knock people out of the routes they have been on over 20 years and get a common ground on how to use this system

DS

Fenderbender

btcmrico
IE Supervisor
06/71
You`ve been awful quiet since your last post.Most "providers" that are on PAS are worse off than they were before,and before,they were in HELL..The fact is that some nimrod a thousand miles away is calling the shots .I never thought I`d say it,but I feel sorry for the mngmt teams,because the impossible is expected of them, and it creeps right down to us . BTW...Why the secrecy?Do you think Fedex and DHL dont know about PAS?:lol:
And what email are you refering to?This is the brown cafe`.
Are you old enough to post on here?

disneyworld

So if 30 stops are taken off of a driver and delivered by someone else what does the driver that originally had the stops do with those stops in EDD? Just skip them? What if the driver doesn't know exactly what is taken off? Does he end up looking for packages that arent there?
I get splits with 2 roads that run very close to each other on a map but are miles apart when you actually have to drive there. I try and tell them that and they say "they're right next to each other". As usual,the drivers know nothing.