Pay for part time air driver delivering ground then working in the building

bart

Help! Trying to figure out what a PT air/exception driver is paid if they drive a full ground route then work the local sort, fill in at customer counter and/or drive an air pickup route all in the same day. I have read that it is called relief driving, flex driving and/or air-to-ground and I cannot find any wording for this in the Contract. I have read Art 40 over and over and 22.3 but still don't see anything about this issue. Please give specifics and/or post article if you would please. The question is, How do I get paid for a day when I do more than drive ground? This happens weekly and I cant find anyone at our center knows how this should be paid. I was told ground all day but I can not find it anywhere. Remember I am considered a part time local sorter but am very seldom used for this position.

charm299

Help! Trying to figure out what a PT air/exception driver is paid if they drive a full ground route then work the local sort, fill in at customer counter and/or drive an air pickup route all in the same day. I have read that it is called relief driving, flex driving and/or air-to-ground and I cannot find any wording for this in the Contract. I have read Art 40 over and over and 22.3 but still don't see anything about this issue. Please give specifics and/or post article if you would please. The question is, How do I get paid for a day when I do more than drive ground? This happens weekly and I cant find anyone at our center knows how this should be paid. I was told ground all day but I can not find it anywhere. Remember I am considered a part time local sorter but am very seldom used for this position.
You get paid in the highest classification that you worked that day as long it is more than an hour.

bart

For all hours worked? No matter what it is? Can you show me where it is in the contract or post it so I can copy it.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Article 40 section 1, 7 covers it.
Any violation of Section 1(a) (7), shall obligate the Employer to pay the Air Driver involved the difference between his/her rate of pay and the top regular package car driver wage rate existing at that building. Grievances concerning violation or abuse of this shall be referred directly to the National Air Committee.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Article 40 Section 1a(7)
Article 40
(7) Air drivers may, on an exception basis, be used to make service on packages which are not air packages.
An exception package is intended to be when an Air Driver is mak- ing a pick up, as outlined above, after the regular driver has been at the customer’s premises, and the customer has an exception ground package(s) for shipment, the air driver may make service on this package(s). Air drivers may continue to pick up Automatic Return Service packages but the features of this service will not be expand- ed.
Any violation of Section 1(a) (7), shall obligate the Employer to pay the Air Driver involved the difference between his/her rate of pay and the top regular package car driver wage rate existing at that building. Grievances concerning violation or abuse of this shall be referred directly to the National Air Committee.

As for the all hours worked question, in my area that is addressed in our sort rider. If you work more than 1/2 hour at a higher rate than your normal rate, you get the higher rate for the entire shift.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Are all contracts the same across the country?

No. The master applies to everyone, well, almost everyone. Each region has a supplement, then your local, or a group of locals your local is part of (known as a joint council), may have a rider or addendum. Most of Article 40 overrides supplements and riders, with a few exceptions.

Article 40 section 1(b)
(2) Less than eight (8) hour air drivers (part-time air drivers) who have a regular scheduled start time shall have a three (3) hour daily guarantee. They shall receive overtime pay for hours worked in ex-
cess of eight (8) hours in a twenty-four (24) hour period or in ex- cess of forty (40) hours per week.
(3) Any less than eight (8) hour combination air driver (part-time combination air drivers) who works their three (3) hour guarantee shall be guaranteed four (4) hours. They shall be paid overtime for work in excess of eight (8) hours in a twenty-four (24) hour period or in excess of forty (40) hours per week.
(4) The provisions above do not apply to an air exception driver who performs extra work under Sections 1 (h), (j) or (k) below.
(5) Employees in paragraphs (2) and (3) above shall be entitled to all other provisions in their Supplement, Rider or Addendum (such as rest periods, shift differential, bidding to full-time jobs and lay- off provisions, etc.).

bart

Thank you for posting this but I am still confused. What does that mean for exception air drivers? All day ground pay no matter what job they do?

WTFm8

Thank you for posting this but I am still confused. What does that mean for exception air drivers? All day ground pay no matter what job they do?

Exception air is only air deliveries/shuttling air. Typically if air is late, extra packages to make commit, etc. air exception is HOURS WORKED ONLY per Art40.

NOW, If they tell you to do a route with ground, shuttle ground, or do a bunch of ground pickups, you change your paycode to ground in the DIAD because that is no longer air/exception work, and that’s where the 1hr worked for payrate comes into affect.

If they change it back to air exception when handling ground, (3E here) you get with a steward and go talk to management about falsifying records and wage theft.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

If you handle any ground outside of the defined limits in Art 40 1a(7) you get paid the top ground rate. The article doesn't define how long you get that pay. If your supplemental, or rider, doesn't answer that question then it's open to interpretation, and would probably be decided by past practices. Go ahead and check with a steward or your BA and they can help you with that.

bart

Exception air is only air deliveries/shuttling air. Typically if air is late, extra packages to make commit, etc. air exception is HOURS WORKED ONLY per Art40.

NOW, If they tell you to do a route with ground, shuttle ground, or do a bunch of ground pickups, you change your paycode to ground in the DIAD because that is no longer air/exception work, and that’s where the 1hr worked for payrate comes into affect.

If they change it back to air exception when handling ground, (3E here) you get with a steward and go talk to management about falsifying records and wage theft.

bart

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge.

WTFm8, so I am only an exception air driver on the days I only deliver air

and the days I deliver ground I am a pt air driver.

bart

I think I get it now. I am always considered a pt air driver so all of the pt language in the contract applies to me unless I only deliver air on a said day.

bart

I also fill in for the evening air pickups. How is that paid? Air pickups are only 3 - 4 hours but then I will work local or customer counter after. Are pickups considered air/exception work? Paid only air pay for hours worked?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I also fill in for the evening air pickups. How is that paid? Air pickups are only 3 - 4 hours but then I will work local or customer counter after. Are pickups considered air/exception work? Paid only air pay for hours worked?

I think I get it now. I am always considered a pt air driver so all of the pt language in the contract applies to me unless I only deliver air on a said day.

A part time air driver would be someone who only does air driving on a part time basis. Based on what you have written you are an air exception driver. The work you do as an air driver is all you get paid the air wages for. I know that seems to contradict what has been said earlier about getting paid a higher rate as a part timer, but air exception drivers are the exception.

Even as an air exception driver who moves ground packages outside of the exception package language, however, you are not working as an air exception driver, and are entitled to ground pay. Whether or not that is for the entire shift depends on your supplemental or local language. Is that about clear as mud?

bart

Got it! One more question on a different subject. If you are called in to drive ground at 6 am, then at 7 am told to stay and do late air sort, go shuttle air to drivers and then deliver your full ground route. Should I get paid ground for sort and shuttle also since that is what I committed to do first?