Pay Raises are now Official

SmithBarney

Lets See
2011 US Inflation rate 3.4%
Increase in Health Costs 5%

FedEx Raise 3%

That puts us -5.4%

We haven't had an official announcement at our STA
but Across the board from topped out to bottom scale employees are not happy.

SmithBarney

You could ask. But Go to Green IMS screen at work, login, choose 1, type in SALARY. it should give you all you need to know
including % of pay range you are in. 0-25%(1st quarter) 26-50%(2nd quarter) 51-75%(3rd quarter) 76-100%(4th quarter)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Lets See
2011 US Inflation rate 3.4%
Increase in Health Costs 5%

FedEx Raise 3%

That puts us -5.4%

We haven't had an official announcement at our STA
but Across the board from topped out to bottom scale employees are not happy.

If you are a long-term employee consider the fact that FedEx has been doing the same thing for the last 15 years or so. This is their business model. As the year progresses what will be taken away so their net outlay is zero? Whether it's attrition or even more health costs pushed onto the employees, Fred will get all of this "raise" back from us. Count on it. And people wonder why we have "bad attitudes". This is such an eye-opener for so many people.

vantexan

If you are a long-term employee consider the fact that FedEx has been doing the same thing for the last 15 years or so. This is their business model. As the year progresses what will be taken away so their net outlay is zero? Whether it's attrition or even more health costs pushed onto the employees, Fred will get all of this "raise" back from us. Count on it. And people wonder why we have "bad attitudes". This is such an eye-opener for so many people.

Smoke and mirrors...

Ricochet1a

I've made no secret of the fact that I do have sources that feed me information.

I based my postings on Monday off a pre-release document I received the Thursday prior and spent the weekend trying to confirm the information with another person before I posted. I was frankly shocked that they would give a 5-6% raise to those in the top half, while giving only a 3% raise to the lower half. I simply didn't believe the FedEx would pull such a crass move - thus the delay in posting until I could get confirmation. Once I did get confirmation, I posted.

I'll still won't and never will reveal my identity or theirs, since first it will add no weight to the truth of what I write and second it may cause considerable harm to those who do give me information. There are a great many within the walls of corporate headquarters who do not like the way the company has been and continues to be transformed and do what they can to get the word out to those who will listen while not jeopardizing their own jobs.

FedEx has been on a deliberate, slow, methodical path towards eliminating career wage employees while doing it slowly enough to avoid a sudden surge of representation card signing. They've also pissed off a lot of salaried employees who did make the decision to make Express a career - only to have their pension plan gutted a few years ago. In all of this, that was the biggest mistake FedEx did - they broke faith with the salaried work force by gutting the pension plan - thus the leaking of information when possible.

The handing out of the "bump" to those that are most pissed off right now is the short term solution to what has been a building discontent. It's the tradition from the Roman Empire than when the plebeians get pissed - throw around some bread and gold - then hold a really good game to two to take their attention off the real issues. Half got something (not a lot) and the other half got screwed with a cost of living adjustment that is already being ate up by the increased premiums and copays of their health insurance. Put a coin in one pocket then take a coin out of the back pocket - all the while telling the person that they should be thankful that they have a job and shouldn't complain.

You've been with the company long enough to know the FedEx of 10 years ago isn't the FedEx of today. The uniforms are the same, the vehicles, the moving of time sensitive volume...

What isn't the same is that Express employees went from being compensated and treated like they were the best in the industry to being compensated and treated like they are low life. FedEx has taken full advantage of the economic downturn to intensify the atmosphere of threats, intimidation, and coercion to get its way with wage employees. In addition, there has been compensation stagnation since March 2008 - and when the gutting of the pension plan along with increases in benefit premiums, copays and deductibles are considered - a backward slide in overall compensation has taken place.

Express wage employees have gone from being solidly in the middle class, to being in the lower middle class with no chance of advancing out of that situation as long as they stay with Express while it is being run the way it is.

There are two ways an individual can either change or attempt to change this situation. First, they can leave FedEx. Odds are, they will be better compensated once they can find something. Oddly enough - this is also Fred's goal - get the malcontents to leave. Second, start grassroots organizing and get a voice at the table when it comes to determining what the compensation package is going to be. You know damn good and well, no feedback was sought in regards to compensation - Memphis ran their numbers and did a cost/benefit analysis and determined that by giving a bit of extra pay to those who are most vocal, will soothe them just enough to prevent any problems for the next year.

Meanwhile the defined pension plan is starting to become a distant memory and more and more salaried employees are realizing that their retirement is now going to be (after all sources of retirement income is considered, including Social Security) about one-third less that they planned on it being just 5 years ago.

Yes, loyalty to FedEx is at an all-time low. The question is whether the wage employees will finally decide they've had enough and certify a union - or if they'll allow themselves to be intimidated and bought-off with a few extra dollars to keep them from signing that card. Many salaried employees know that the only hope for Express - is to have a union certified for the wage employees, have them negotiate a reinstatement of either the defined benefit plan or have the contribution to the PPP brought up to 13% (or so) - so that Express would have no choice but to do the same for the salaried workforce. The intelligent managers at local level know that the only hope for their compensation package, is that if an union is certified. Because if Courier, RTD, Ramp Agent and CSA compensation goes up - theirs will too (or Memphis won't be able to hold people in lower and mid-level management).

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

What we need is enough pissed people to be vocal about their anger. We have the numbers to win this fight, but so many people are afraid to talk about anything union-related, that they won't say anything.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
But we still need the Teamsters to do some legwork too.

Remember not to long ago they ran away from the FedEx Ground handlers in the northeast leaving them to sink or swim?

We're really caught between a rock and a hard place with RLA, politicians who suck up to $mith, candy-assed support from Teamsters and co-workers who don't want to do anything to solve the problem.

I've already signed my card however.

RTD

Thanks Ricochet1a for the information that you post here. We have not received any info yet at my station. They are supposed to meet with us next week to discuss this. It is good to have this information before hand so I can be better prepared with my questions, when they start blowing smoke up our asses. Keep up the great work in providing us information. It is appreciated.

Ricochet1a

But we still need the Teamsters to do some legwork too.

Remember not to long ago they ran away from the FedEx Ground handlers in the northeast leaving them to sink or swim?

We're really caught between a rock and a hard place with RLA, politicians who suck up to $mith, candy-assed support from Teamsters and co-workers who don't want to do anything to solve the problem.

I've already signed my card however.

The Teamsters see Express as a lost cause as long as it is covered under the RLA instead of NLRA. I posted last autumn that like most things in the world, this all comes down to money. Express is willing to spend millions and often times tens of millions a year solely to keep the RLA classification, while the Teamsters have a much smaller budget for fighting corporations such as FedEx. When FedEx is willing to spend that kind of money to keep its special deal, it is no wonder the Teamsters don't try to take on FedEx head-on.

In addition, there is the "reality" of potential loss of face in case one side or the other loses in a straight up fight (as nearly occurred in Massachusetts late last summer). Loss of face brings with it a loss of prestige in the political arena. In addition to money, it is the reputation of a side (reputation that it won't lose a fight it chooses) that enables it to push through either contract demands in case of certification - or on the flip side, to have the guts to threaten a lockout if employees do choose to certify. It is a game of brinksmanship - or automotive "chicken"; neither side wants to get into a contest unless it KNOWS it will win in the end - thus the standoff.

As long as Express remains under the RLA, the employees of Express will have to do all of the legwork themselves and do grassroots organizing. Once the Teamsters have enough signed representation cards to win a certification election, they'll petition the NLRB for an election. Till that happens though, don't expect to see the Teamsters handing out literature around Express stations - the Express employees will have to do it themselves.

This is something that most don't realilze or comprehend - since their personal experience is working in an enviroment that is covered under NLRA rules instead of RLA rules. They are radically different beasts, with the RLA deliberately designed to make unionization practically impossible to pull off without a MASSSIVE organization effort - an effort which requires MASSIVE national level organization and therefore MASSIVE levels of cash on hand to pull it off. In the case of Express, there isn't the will among the Teamsters to fight such a fight (they see it as a losing fight - and rightfully so), so it is up to FedEx employees to do it themselves - grassroots organizing. There's nothing "fair" about being under the RLA, but it is what it is - so if the employees of Express want to organize, they'll have to do it on their own. it did look like for a few months in 2009 that Express would've been removed from being covered by the RLA - but Fred pulled out the pocketbook and the cash flowed. Express is still firmly covered under RLA today.

What has changed in the many years since the original RLA was passed into law - is this - social networking. Prior to the internet and social networking, it was impossible for employees in separate locations to communicate with each other and initiate organizing efforts. Express loved this situation - the isolation of stations from one another caused organizing to be a practical impossibility. It is still difficult, but much easier now with social networking. This is one reason why Express so aggressively threatens their employees with their jobs if they are "caught" engaging in any activity which places Express in a "negative view".

In reality, all it takes is someone to be sufficiently motivated to sign that representation card and send it in. Then talk to their coworkers and see if they'll sign one and send it in. If there are enough employees who choose to not believe the bull coming out of Memphis and decide to do something about it, there may be a day where the Teamsters will file a petition with the NLRB for a certification election for certain crafts within Express. Fred will crap a brick if this ever happens (and believe me, he'll have every lawyer fighting the NLRB on any grounds possible, including the "validity" of signed representation cards). But if enough cards are signed - an election scheduled - and a majority in a nationwide vote choose certification - then the game is over for Fred.

Pottsburg

There are about 80 couriers at my station and i think 10 of them got the 5%. the rest of us got 3%. One of my friends has 15 years and still only got 3% Are area got a market upgrade a couple of years ago so that really put all of us behind the 8 ball. small raises on are smaller wages now we have to qualify for are new market levels set wage. So everyone is behind.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There are about 80 couriers at my station and i think 10 of them got the 5%. the rest of us got 3%. One of my friends has 15 years and still only got 3% Are area got a market upgrade a couple of years ago so that really put all of us behind the 8 ball. small raises on are smaller wages now we have to qualify for are new market levels set wage. So everyone is behind.

Exactly. FedEx is spinning this as if everyone wins, and they don't. Very few "win", and everyone else marches backwards. Don't get me going on the market levels, because they are the second level of this scheme. Sure, it costs less to live in East Bicycle Seat, KY than it does NYC, but FedEx plays the market level game for all it's worth. You do the same job, for a fraction of the money, if you live farther out. The "adjustment" is a joke.

And it just isn't couriers. Even in a major market, new RTD's, ramp agents, and dispatchers have to deal with the same "low, low everyday" wages for far too many years. You never really "catch-up". If you live in a suburb of a major market area FedEx will usually downgrade that market level, even though the cost of living is essentially the same as in the "big city". It's a complete scam.

Sign those cards, and keep telling people about this site. Communicating the big picture and starting to act in a coordinated effort are the keys to success. As others have also suggested, it's about time for slowdowns and sickouts to start happening. Nothing is going to change until we play hardball with Smith.

vantexan

I'm at 13 years, $17.64hr. Looks like I'll get 3% both this year and next. And there's no guarantee that we won't go back to years of 2% raises, even no raise.

vantexan

No matter how the raises are calculated, there will ALWAYS be someone pissed off.

For the record.....I don't agree with the way the raises are handed out.

For once I'd like to see the company brass pissed off at the big raises they are having to pay us. But that will NEVER happen, huh?

For someone who doesn't agree with this or that, why are you ALWAYS trying to spin things the company's way?

Bailey4

If you were a courier that scored above (6.5 or around there + or - ) on the old system.... you got more than this raise and the purported catch up. This is all smoke and mirrors as far as a catch up. If we didnt catch up with a larger raise then, how will it be faster with a smaller raise? Not to mention the segment of workers that are in the upper 3rd and 4th segment, who got the supposed increase are fewer in number if you look at employees on a whole so fedex managed to raise a smaller amount of employees as well. Saving more money for Fedex again. Not to mention that the emplyees who are in the 3rd and 4th segements that qualify for catch up......... are the ones that the company targets all the time because they have more seniority so Fedex will just pick them off later in the year anyway.

LTFedExer

I have 12 years and getting 3%. The courier next to me has 15 years and currently makes about .50/hr less than me. So he'll get 3% also. My thought is they should have used years of service as a guide to the raises, not current pay.
For once I'd like to see the company brass pissed off at the big raises they are having to pay us. But that will NEVER happen, huh?

For someone who doesn't agree with this or that, why are you ALWAYS trying to spin things the company's way?
No, it will never happen, welcome to the world of big business. I don't agree with everything the company does.....never have. I don't 'spin things the company's way'. I'm just a realist that sees a lowly courier has no say in the big decisions. FedEx doesn't do anything any other large corporation does, we just see it more because we work there. You may think the grass is greener on the other side, but I'll wager you'll hear different from the people that work there.