Pay Raises are now Official

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Got some feedback today from management that the problem IS in the computer system, and that HR will have this fixed by Monday.

I got some feedback today from the computer system, and it said the problem is management. I'm going with the computer.

fedex_rtd

A little more feedback on this...Looks like FedEx actually listened to some of the rumblings from the stations across the country on this, and have made some changes to the system. If the 3% raise were to put you into the 3rd quarter than you get an additional 2% for a total of 5% raise. That will include some more people that were close but not quite there for the higher raise.

The second thing we were all wondering about was how would they do the math on the raises, would it be 3% plus 2% or 3%? or a total of 5% or 6%? here is whats going to happen. You get the 3% if it puts you into a new 3rd or 4th quarter than they will give you an additional 2% or 3% raise, as long as it DOES NOT exceed the 5% or 6% level. in other words no compounding of percentage.

LTFedExer

When this thread was started, I had a manager check which quartile I was in. Turns out I was in the 3rd. Using Ricochet's numbers for Market E, I was .03 away from getting 5%. So I thought I was getting 3%. I didn't read this whole thread, so I don't know if there were any changes, because I got my check today and it was 5%.

SmithBarney

Yes its a flat 3% across the board, then depending on where you end up(what percentile) you get the additional percentile.
So the middle of the roaders essentially get a bonus, while the bottom and ever the top get screwed.

Here is a fun 5 year chart using estimations based on variable market levels using 2012 pay actions.(3% year over year)
(my midrange # are off since the math changes as they cross percentiles)
Year Bottom-Top (Differential) -Mid range(5%)
2012 15.00 22.00 (7.00) 20.00
2013 15.45 22.66 (7.21) 21.00
2014 15.91 23.34 (7.43) 22.05
2015 16.39 24.04 (7.65) 23.15
2016 16.88 24.76 (7.88) 24.31

Moral of the story, you will never top out if you are in the bottom, and you'll still be in the same percentile.

They toyed around with the idea of real performance based bonuses, I think they should go for it.
Meaning say you hit you VAN/POD compliance goals you get $X, if you hit 100% you get X
Reward drivers who go out with more stops, there are plenty of guys who skate at the many stations
I've been at, it might encourage them to work harder, or at the very least let those who are hungry for
more $$, go after it.

LTFedExer

Yes its a flat 3% across the board, then depending on where you end up(what percentile) you get the additional percentile.
Sorry, I typed the wrong number. When the manager checked, I was in the SECOND (not 3rd as I typed) percentile. But, my raise was 5%. I was told the numbers weren't updated up to that point.
Year Bottom-Top (Differential) -Mid range(5%)
2012 15.00 22.00 (7.00) 20.00
2013 15.45 22.66 (7.21) 21.00
2014 15.91 23.34 (7.43) 22.05
2015 16.39 24.04 (7.65) 23.15
2016 16.88 24.76 (7.88) 24.31

Moral of the story, you will never top out if you are in the bottom, and you'll still be in the same percentile.
If someone at top pay gets 3%, top pay doesn't change. Your 2013 Should look like this
2013 15.45 22.00 (6.45) 18.73. Not all the couriers who have 'topped out' are making the same amount.
They toyed around with the idea of real performance based bonuses, I think they should go for it.
Meaning say you hit you VAN/POD compliance goals you get $X, if you hit 100% you get X
Reward drivers who go out with more stops, there are plenty of guys who skate at the many stations
I've been at, it might encourage them to work harder, or at the very least let those who are hungry for
more $$, go after it.
This won't work due to area density. Lets compare the 3 routes in my loop and tell me how this would work. These are average numbers for the day.
(Rte 1) 18 stops, 350-375 pcs (P1 route only, SOME P2 on occasion)
(Rte 2) 80 stops, 200-225 pcs
(Rte 3) 65 stops, 175-200 pcs

The raise system has been screwed up for the past 10 years, it can't be 'fixed' in 1 raise cycle. Problem is, they come up with a 'better system' every year. Year over year, there's no consistency. Percentages change, review process changes, this is included in the review, this is not included, etc etc etc. No matter what 'perfect system' they decide on, there will always be a group upset.

vantexan

If they stick with the plan they came out with this year then eventually you'll see more and more at the top of the range. Assuming they don't keep raising top of range every year. I wonder if they'll alternate years...this year top-out went up 3%, next year they might raise starting pay. If they do one or the other every year then the middle of the range will keep increasing. Those starting out will be chasing the midway point and better raises forever. And eventually as senior couriers retire they'll be replaced with much cheaper couriers who'll never do as well. Yes, I recommended couriers with some time in to consider what they'd be giving up if they leave. But for new couriers who realize in a few years that they aren't making any headway the answer to what they'd give up by quitting is pretty easy. Not much. If you are new I hope you realize that 10 years from now your purchasing power won't be much more than now due to 3% raises and inflation. You'd be much better off joining the military.

LTFedExer

Assuming they don't keep raising top of range every year. I wonder if they'll alternate years...this year top-out went up 3%, next year they might raise starting pay. If they do one or the other every year then the middle of the range will keep increasing.
Assuming they do this, it makes fredly's assumptions correct. Though the numbers would be different. The only constant is the inconsistency.