Peak, 2014, A Disaster We Can Predict With Certainty

BigTex61

Supposed to be a heavy day today due to iphones. Today should be a test to see how management handles it. If they blow it today, peak will be this ×10.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Last year when I-phone 5's came out the managers asked if I was interested working during my vacation to help out with I-phone deliveries. I told 'em no way.

hypo hanna

A lot of customers with much smaller or no discounts did not get their freight picked or delivered on time because we were swamped with IPhones. After adding extra flights, truck rentals and OT, I bet we lost money on the Apple surge.

Cactus

A lot of customers with much smaller or no discounts did not get their freight picked or delivered on time because we were swamped with IPhones. After adding extra flights, truck rentals and OT, I bet we lost money on the Apple surge.
Most likely and sadly it was too predictable.

BigTex61

I heard from a reliable source we are supposed to
have 15% more volume this peak. That's scary! Also, it appears that ups is making some major adjustments to better handle peak this year. Our side hasn't done squat so far, all I can get out of our senior mongoloid is we will have 2 more rentals and extra power pad batteries. We got some small thinkers in this opco.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I heard from a reliable source we are supposed to
have 15% more volume this peak. That's scary! Also, it appears that ups is making some major adjustments to better handle peak this year. Our side hasn't done squat so far, all I can get out of our senior mongoloid is we will have 2 more rentals and extra power pad batteries. We got some small thinkers in this opco.

15%, huh? Ours doubled last year. I wonder how bad it will be this year. I'm sure plenty of rentals, but not enough equipment or bodies.

ILuvPandas

Yup, ft can only be forced an hour of ot per day. pt can't be forced any ot although most pters will soak up as much ot as they can get during peak because they know after peak, they'll be back down to 17.5 hours a week.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Im out of a large Express station in MA and some of the new hires aren't very motivated workers(lazy& useless )

They're quickly learning that there's nothing to get motivated about these days. WAD is now the order of the day, every day until such time that FedEx realizes that if they want a return to a quality, highly-motivated workforce, they're going to have to be willing to return to actually paying for it.

However, something tells me that ain't hapnin', so continue to WAD, my fellow Expressers - continue to WAD.....and better yet, particularly to those just starting out - BAIL at first opportunity.

TUT

I hope FedEx's failure is worse than UPS's but I don't think that's possible due to the shear differences in volume the two companies handle. When you are the bigger of the two failures negative public perception always swings in your favor.

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 million vs 16 million adv.

Cactus

They're quickly learning that there's nothing to get motivated about these days. WAD is now the order of the day, every day until such time that FedEx realizes that if they want a return to a quality, highly-motivated workforce, they're going to have to be willing to return to actually paying for it.
Plus treating the workforce like they're stupid isn't helping things either. Besides managers nowadays are Memphis puppets and certainly not leaders.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I'm hearing reports of stations down 40-50 people (or more), with huge turnover, terrible service, and not enough RTDs to get the cans from the ramp to the station. Here, let's all do the calculation:

Late planes that can't hold all the freight +not enough handlers or RTDs + not enough couriers + incompetent management +nobody cares + even more freight at Peak = An effing disaster come Peak.

All the while, Memphis will be talking their usual BS, promising customers the moon when they can't even get the freight to the destination stations. much less have it there on-time. All of the lies are going to come back right in their faces this year, and there's nothing they can do to stop it. Even if they were able to fully staff the operation, the new breed of employee is incompetent, doesn't really care anyway, and will quit as soon as they discover what a farce this company really is.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people than Matt, Dave, and Fred. All the Kool-Aid, hot dogs, and BBQ in the world cannot stop this train wreck.

Check back with me on 1-1=15. You'll still be delivering Xmas P1.

As with pretty much everything FedEx, the only plan is that there isn't one. Poorly micromanaged bad ideas are omnipresent, but an actual viable plan? Not so much.