Peak layoffs

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Bigbrown1227, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Bigbrown1227

Bigbrown1227 New Member

currently im a preloader with seniority over most other preloaders. Last year we only laid a few peak hires off and of course they weren’t Union yet. But recently my supervisors have been moving a lot of higher seniority people around and threating high seniority preloaders with layoffs after peak. My question is can they layoff whoever they want or do they have to go in seniority order? I always thought they had to go in seniority order but this has me worried, thanks

2. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

They are supposed to go in seniority order.

4. Bigbrown1227

Bigbrown1227 New Member

That’s what I thought, I guess my supervisor is just a jerk lol

5. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

1) Know the contract basics.

2) Laugh at your sups when they say stupid :censored2: like that.

6. Bigbrown1227

Bigbrown1227 New Member

The contract is a little vague and when do sups not say stupid :censored2: lol

7. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Not when it comes to seniority and layoff order.

You get it! LOL all the time!!

8. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

3) Grieve any and all seniority violations.

9. dudebro

dudebro Well-Known Member

I had a supervisor once who thought it was a motivator to start every PCM with, "Guys, they're looking to fire somebody on PD-18 today. Pick up the pace and don't be that guy". After a day or two, we'd see all the same faces and everyone realized it was nonsense. When I got to mgmt and realized how precious staffing was in the hub, I thought it was pretty funny.

10. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

They haven't any knowledge of the contract and make up bs rules as they go along. That is why we should all read and at least know highlights of the IBT-UPS agreement.